Whats market bonus? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AlanShore

Silver

Whats market bonus?

Post by AlanShore » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Just wondering what a typical/average market bonus is for a major market (for firms that use lockstep)? not including firms that might pay more but just a typical big law firm?

Anonymous User

Re: Whats market bonus?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:31 pm

Bump, also curious about this.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:34 pm

Here is a scale that the "prestigious" NY firms follow

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/11/associat ... s-simpson/

The vast majority of other firms' bonuses are somewhat black box, and in general MUCH smaller. In any market other than NYC, even at leading firms in other major markets, it's even less likely they will stick to the rigid scale above.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:39 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:11 pm

100k bonuses were given out at one point, did I read that right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:30 pm

AlanShore wrote:Just wondering what a typical/average market bonus is for a major market (for firms that use lockstep)? not including firms that might pay more but just a typical big law firm?
As others have suggested, it's not possible to answer your question. First, "market bonus"—as that term is used on TLS and in the legal press—is not close to "average biglaw bonus." Second, market bonus changes from year to year; it's not stable like base lockstep salary.

If you're curious about a particular firm or a particular office, you should just name it. We can at least tell you if that firm/office has traditionally paid market bonuses.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:35 pm

barkschool wrote:100k bonuses were given out at one point, did I read that right?
No. The class of 2007 (i.e. people who have been working there since 2007) got 100K.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to a Boston firm (Ropes/Wilmer/Mintz/Goodwin etc). They pay market but I have no clue what bonuses are. Anyone know what bonuses have been last couple years in Boston?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:56 am

AlanShore wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to a Boston firm (Ropes/Wilmer/Mintz/Goodwin etc). They pay market but I have no clue what bonuses are. Anyone know what bonuses have been last couple years in Boston?
Not saying this to be snarky but have you tried Google? Took me about 7 seconds to find some info on Ropes' bonuses last year, they might have something on the other firms you mentioned.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:
AlanShore wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to a Boston firm (Ropes/Wilmer/Mintz/Goodwin etc). They pay market but I have no clue what bonuses are. Anyone know what bonuses have been last couple years in Boston?
Not saying this to be snarky but have you tried Google? Took me about 7 seconds to find some info on Ropes' bonuses last year, they might have something on the other firms you mentioned.
oh really? I have tried google... maybe I was googling poorly - all it turned up was that ATL article above. Thanks, I'll dig again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”