Mistaken Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mistaken Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:12 am

so..... any stories on firms mistakenly giving someone an offer when they didnt mean to?

ex_nunc

New

Re: Mistaken Offer

Post by ex_nunc » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:16 am

Not I. But, if you have one, do tell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:01 pm

I have stories of this from my firm's recruiting department, but each time it happened (apparently happens about once every few years that a partner calls the wrong person with an offer) we honored the offer, so no one external knows the offer was an error. I think this is basic practice when the summer class size is large.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have stories of this from my firm's recruiting department, but each time it happened (apparently happens about once every few years that a partner calls the wrong person with an offer) we honored the offer, so no one external knows the offer was an error. I think this is basic practice when the summer class size is large.
do these people start out at a disadvantage since they're considered "mistakes"? i.e. are these people more likely to get no/cold offer at the end of the summer program, get pushed out earlier, etc?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:43 pm

That is ascribing way too much organization and planning to law firm hiring. There is no vast conspiracy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:51 pm

Not an offer but: I had a big law firm call and ask me to come in for a interview but they mistakenly thought I was a 2L when I was actually a 3L. They had held onto my resume for over a year. It hurt.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so..... any stories on firms mistakenly giving someone an offer when they didnt mean to?
I remember an OCI story that wasn't too far off. A firm was making calls right after OCI inviting people in for callbacks. However, the firm had been calling certain people that weren't supposed to be on the callback list. So certain people at my school were getting follow-up calls from the firm, saying "yeah, we didn't mean to offer you a CB". And the recruiting person actually had the gall to say "would you still like us to send you a letter reflecting our decision?" My friend pretty much just hung up at that point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:05 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Not an offer but: I had a big law firm call and ask me to come in for a interview but they mistakenly thought I was a 2L when I was actually a 3L. They had held onto my resume for over a year. It hurt.
did they renege on the callback?
kaiser wrote: I remember an OCI story that wasn't too far off. A firm was making calls right after OCI inviting people in for callbacks. However, the firm had been calling certain people that weren't supposed to be on the callback list. So certain people at my school were getting follow-up calls from the firm, saying "yeah, we didn't mean to offer you a CB". And the recruiting person actually had the gall to say "would you still like us to send you a letter reflecting our decision?" My friend pretty much just hung up at that point.
and i thought hr ppl were supposed to be people persons

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:06 pm

I received a rejection letter for a job I had already been offered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:Not an offer but: I had a big law firm call and ask me to come in for a interview but they mistakenly thought I was a 2L when I was actually a 3L. They had held onto my resume for over a year. It hurt.
kaiser wrote: I remember an OCI story that wasn't too far off. A firm was making calls right after OCI inviting people in for callbacks. However, the firm had been calling certain people that weren't supposed to be on the callback list. So certain people at my school were getting follow-up calls from the firm, saying "yeah, we didn't mean to offer you a CB". And the recruiting person actually had the gall to say "would you still like us to send you a letter reflecting our decision?" My friend pretty much just hung up at that point.

If I were the firm, I would have just bitten the bullet and humored the mistaken-CB kids, had them in for a visit, and then just not make offers to them. Sure, its stringing them along a bit, and wastes some of the lawyers' time, but things like the above story can make a firm look pretty awful and give them a negative rep quickly. Though this was an uber elite firm, so they likely didn't care about reputational harm, since they will get more than enough of the best year after year.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:09 pm

kaiser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If I were the firm, I would have just bitten the bullet and humored the mistaken-CB kids, had them in for a visit, and then just not make offers to them. Sure, its stringing them along a bit, and wastes some of the lawyers' time, but things like the above story can make a firm look pretty awful and give them a negative rep quickly. Though this was an uber elite firm, so they likely didn't care about reputational harm, since they will get more than enough of the best year after year.
Yeah I definitely don't follow the logic of spending $$$ in billable time and travel costs for face-saving fake interviews.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:20 pm

DELG wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah I definitely don't follow the logic of spending $$$ in billable time and travel costs for face-saving fake interviews.
Ultimately, you are right. But some firms may be so afraid of bad press, I'd imagine they would do some crazy things to avoid it. But yeah, ultimately would be a waste of time to have them in. Better to just admit their mistake. I just got a kick out of the tacky way in which they did it. Fav part is when they offered my friend the "courtesy" of still sending him a stock rejection letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:21 pm

A friend of mine received an offer dinner invitation from a small class size firm, without receiving a phone call from the firm. He assumed this is an offer, and canceled subsequent callbacks. He was now informed that the invitation was sent in mistake and he had not been extended an offer. He currently has no offers and no more callbacks. Thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A friend of mine received an offer dinner invitation from a small class size firm, without receiving a phone call from the firm. He assumed this is an offer, and canceled subsequent callbacks. He was now informed that the invitation was sent in mistake and he had not been extended an offer. He currently has no offers and no more callbacks. Thoughts?
that he should call and get his interviews back obviously?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A friend of mine received an offer dinner invitation from a small class size firm, without receiving a phone call from the firm. He assumed this is an offer, and canceled subsequent callbacks. He was now informed that the invitation was sent in mistake and he had not been extended an offer. He currently has no offers and no more callbacks. Thoughts?
that reaaaaaaally sucks i hope he gets an offer from a better firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Call the recruiting people at the firms that you canceled your CB's with, honestly explain what happened, and get the CB's back. In fact there is a good chance the hiring committee won't know you canceled your CB before when they make the decision on you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”