Minority Lawyers/Law Students and the Minority Population Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Minority Lawyers/Law Students and the Minority Population

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:07 pm

I don't really know where to post this but I want to use the Anon option because this may be a controversial topic. If the mods feel this thread doesn't belong, I just ask that you guys delete it and PM me about it. Please do not reveal my identity. Here it goes:

I am a Latino law student interning at a DA's office this summer. I have noticed that when I see defendants, or just other people in the community within my demographic (Hispanic male in early to mid 20s) that look disadvantaged (ie, tattoos, ghetto demeanor) there is a very strange vibe. Like I know they are looking at me, seemingly every move i make and when I make eye contact with them, there's a strange thing that happens. It's like they are amazed that someone in their demographic is in a suit accompanied by lawyers or doesn't have tattoos or speaks in am educated manner. I don't know why or how I get this feeling.

In terms of how I feel about it, part me feels bad for them but in a way, I am frustrated that those in my community within my demographic aren't bettering themselves mostly out of their unwillingness or ignorance of doing so.

So I just want to know, for the black, latino, any other minority law student/lawyer out there, how do you feel when you see one in your own demographic in the seemingly disadvantaged position described above? Do you pity them? Do you even care?

Return to “Legal Employment”