biglawrefuge - a website to track OCI for law students and lawyers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
codeandcodes

New

Re: biglawrefuge - a website to track OCI for law students and lawyers

Post by codeandcodes » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:24 am

North wrote:Do you have firms broken out by office? I worked in a satellite office of a fancy NY HQ'd firm and I know for sure our standards are a bit lower. It'd make the overall picture less acurate to have that data all lumped into one set.
Hi North!

That is the single most requested feature, but there is no firm office distinction for now. People have been putting the office in the job post description for now. Not ideal, but I'm working on a solution.

codeandcodes

New

Post by codeandcodes » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:56 am

Dear biglawrefuge community members,

Another user has posted some concerns about anonymity, so I wanted to make some comments.

First, your email is never shared on biglawrefuge. The weekly digests are sent directly to the user. Thus, as long as you pick a non-obvious username (e.g. firstname.lastname), you're undiscoverable (at least w/r/t biglawrefuge). This is similar to tls or lsn or any other site.

Additionally, I've put some anonymity enhancements in place (just now) so you are no longer able to see the achievements of other users or the number of jobs/reviews posted by another user (except if they are posted non-anonymously).

Let me know what you guys think about the changes and anonymity in general. I know it's very important to you all, but everyone has different comfort levels. As always, there is a tradeoff between what filters you can apply (and thus how useful the information is to you) and anonymity.

If you feel the current levels of anonymity are appropriately calibrated or need enhancement or relaxation, let me know your thoughts and what level you feel is appropriate.

Thanks,
codeandcodes

codeandcodes

New

Post by codeandcodes » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick announcement that I've posted another article, "Advice on Biglaw and OCI from a Stanford Law Grad": http://www.biglawrefuge.com/articles/7- ... d-law-grad. It is a Q&A I did for girlsguidetolawschool here: http://thegirlsguidetolawschool.com/08/ ... -law-grad/

This article has some philosophy on picking law firms, which I'm sure a lot of you are in the fortunate position to do right now. Bottom line is choose your law firm with your end game in mind; if you don't plan on trying to make partner at your firm or another, then it probably doesn't make sense to go to the most "prestigious" firm.

codeandcodes

New

Post by codeandcodes » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:12 am

Hi guys,

It's been a little while since I made an update to biglawrefuge, but I'm back (from a trip) and am working on it again. Just wanted to pop my head in to let you know I've added a new feature that lets you compare law firm to another law firm.

Example: Sullivan & Cromwell vs Kirkland & Ellis
http://www.biglawrefuge.com/companies/4 ... ly=Compare

Let me know what you all think. I'll begin adding articles again. Hope many of you did well during OCI and will contribute your stats!

-codeandcodes

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:31 am

codeandcodes wrote:
North wrote:Do you have firms broken out by office? I worked in a satellite office of a fancy NY HQ'd firm and I know for sure our standards are a bit lower. It'd make the overall picture less acurate to have that data all lumped into one set.
Hi North!

That is the single most requested feature, but there is no firm office distinction for now. People have been putting the office in the job post description for now. Not ideal, but I'm working on a solution.
Maybe make it like Urbanspoon/Yelp where user can suggest an office for a given firm if one isn't already listed. That suggestion can go to you for verification that it exists.

That way pages for satellite offices will be added according to demand and without you having to add all/decide which of the 1000 satellite offices for the 200 biglaw firms get a page

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

codeandcodes

New

Post by codeandcodes » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:48 am

North wrote:
codeandcodes wrote:
Hi North!

Maybe make it like Urbanspoon/Yelp where user can suggest an office for a given firm if one isn't already listed. That suggestion can go to you for verification that it exists.

That way pages for satellite offices will be added according to demand and without you having to add all/decide which of the 1000 satellite offices for the 200 biglaw firms get a page
Thanks for the helpful suggestion, North. I think that system could work, so I'll try to put that feature in next.

codeandcodes

New

Post by codeandcodes » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:56 am

North wrote:
codeandcodes wrote:
Hi North!

Hi guys,

You asked so ye shall receive. I've spent the day working on a way to add office locations to each job posting (example: http://www.biglawrefuge.com/jobs/5) . Now, you can also filter job postings by office location: http://www.biglawrefuge.com/jobs

Finally, because I can't manage all of the offices that may pertain to law firms, I've given everyone the ability to add new office locations (you can do so from here: http://www.biglawrefuge.com/jobs/new). As an admin, I can go clean up and merge offices if the data gets out of sync, but I've tried to add some software checks against this.

Hope you enjoy and find it useful!

Onwards,
codeandcodes

codeandcodes

New

Post by codeandcodes » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:14 am

Also realized that many of you could not see the comparison page that I linked earlier (sorry, that was a bug). It should be fixed now, so check it out!

http://www.biglawrefuge.com/companies/4 ... ly=Compare

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”