Georgetown - EIW 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Targeted Practice Area?

Litigation
38
54%
Transactional
32
46%
 
Total votes: 70

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:44 am

Just trying to be cool like the NYU and Columbia kiddies.

"Keeping with tradition, this thread will be discussion about bidlists, screener results, and callbacks."

Georgetown 2014 EIW: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=230278
______________________________________________________________
Please Use Anonymous Handles

We all want to maintain some privacy during this process. That said, it is also nice to keep track of who is saying what. I’m going to recommend that everyone pick a handle to sign their anonymous posts with (you obviously don’t have to) so that we can keep track of one another.

Bidding

The basics of bidlist stuff should be straightforward even if you’re not Socrates: if you think other people are more likely to bid on a firm, you should bid it high. Firms that are less grade-selective or that have fewer interview spots are more competitive, so you should probably rank them higher.

Callbacks

Once we’re at least part way through the first rings of interviewing hell, people will get callbacks. In past years, people would post the firm name and the initials of the person who interviewed them when they received a callback so that people would know that callbacks had gone out.
______________________________________________________________
Good luck. If all else fails, just remember that you go to a Law Center.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:33 am

Checking in and ready to roll. Top 10 (probably top 5%), looking in DC and DE primarily. Should probably get my bid list together haha.

-Carl

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:20 am

Checking in, slightly below median. Hoping for Mergers & Acquisitions or Capital Markets work.. have past work experience doing deals.
Any tips on my top 10 bids would be great.

1) Paul Hastings (NY)
2) Shearman & Sterling (NY)
3) Debevoise (NY)
4) White & Case (NY)
5) Clifford Chance (NY)
6) Dechert (London)
7) Linklaters (NY)
8) Latham & Watkins (London)
9) Schulte (NY)
10) Freshfields (London)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:38 am

Checking in, just outside top 15%. Hoping to do transactional work, although wouldn't mind litigation either. Have some transactional experience but nothing great.

In progress top 10 bidlist (I admittedly don't really think I know what I am doing, so like the poster above would really appreciate some tips/advice on my top 10 or just bidding in general if anyone feels confident in what they are doing)

1. Simpson & Thatcher (NY)
2. Latham and Watkins (NY)
3. Kirkland & Ellis (NY)
4. Wilmerhale (NY)
5. Paul Weiss (NY)
6. Jones Day (NY)
7. Sidley Austin (NY)
8. Ropes & Gray (NY)
9. Fried Frank (NY)
10. Weil Gotshal & Manges (NY)

- JC

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in, just outside top 15%. Hoping to do transactional work, although wouldn't mind litigation either. Have some transactional experience but nothing great.

In progress top 10 bidlist (I admittedly don't really think I know what I am doing, so like the poster above would really appreciate some tips/advice on my top 10 or just bidding in general if anyone feels confident in what they are doing)

1. Simpson & Thatcher (NY)
2. Latham and Watkins (NY)
3. Kirkland & Ellis (NY)
4. Wilmerhale (NY)
5. Paul Weiss (NY)
6. Jones Day (NY)
7. Sidley Austin (NY)
8. Ropes & Gray (NY)
9. Fried Frank (NY)
10. Weil Gotshal & Manges (NY)

- JC


Pretty solid list. With those grades why not Skadden/Cravath/SullivanCromwell/Cleary?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:09 pm

A few questions (rising 3Ls+ pls help):

- Any idea when the Registrar/whoever sends out the top 5% notification?

- Looking for biglaw only in DC - is it ever advisable to use fewer than 50 bids? CSO told me I am probably top 5% and will be fine bidding only DC; but, I don't want a situation in which the less selective DC firms that I bid lower pre-select me b/c of GPA, and then I get screwed out of my top ~20 picks.

Yes, I realize the douche-level of these Qs. Sorry.

-Felix

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:16 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:48 pm

Here's my very-early NY Bid list. I'm going to sprinkle in some secondaries, but I'm strictly transactional. Decent Finance WE and a transactional-focused 1L job. 3.4x, but .01 outside of top 1/3.

Weil, Gotshal & Manges, LLP
Shearman & Sterling LLP
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
White & Case LLP
Clifford Chance
Linklaters LLP
Sidley Austin LLP
Ropes & Gray LLP
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
Allen & Overy
Willkie Farr & Gallagher
Sidley Austin LLP
Cahill Gordon & Reindel
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
Dechert LLP
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
Chadbourne & Parke, LLP
Latham & Watkins
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
Jones Day

Am I missing any or is my order a mess?

-BabyJesus

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10736
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:29 pm

Felix,

Top 5% comes as a letter, weirdly enough, and it didn't come last year until after bid lists were finalized and resumes gone out. So updated resumes at EIW are usually in order. There's variance each year but if your GPA is over 3.75 you're probably in.

I did DC only and used ~25 bids. Got 11 interviews and scrounged up 3 more (one of which ended up being where I am now). This is on the low end - if you can get 18-20 interviews even with top grades, that's more advisable.

EIW'd it up last year, DC only. In this thread to give advice if so desired.

sec5_gulc65
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby sec5_gulc65 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi everybody. Class of 2016 Section 5 person here. I made a spreadsheet with all the current placements I know of in my section (they are identified by their initials). I'd appreciate it if other 3Ls could chime in and update the spreadsheet as well (Note: I only included those who could participate in OCI in the total, i.e. dual degree holders are excluded). Right now, I have about 54% of section 5 in biglaw (2 people in Honors programs and a few others in paid federal agency gigs) but the list remains incomplete. Also, if 3Ls from other sections would create similar spreadsheets for their respective classsmates, I think it'd prove quite helpful for future EIW participants.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby chuckbass » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Damn good work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Felix,

Top 5% comes as a letter, weirdly enough, and it didn't come last year until after bid lists were finalized and resumes gone out. So updated resumes at EIW are usually in order. There's variance each year but if your GPA is over 3.75 you're probably in.

I did DC only and used ~25 bids. Got 11 interviews and scrounged up 3 more (one of which ended up being where I am now). This is on the low end - if you can get 18-20 interviews even with top grades, that's more advisable.

EIW'd it up last year, DC only. In this thread to give advice if so desired.


Many thanks Capitol_Idea - very helpful info.

-Felix

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:44 am

Does anyone know if career services can split up the bidcounts amongst individual offices for some firms?
E.g. its not that helpful to know the total bidcount for DC + NY + Texas offices when you are only interested in 1 of the 3..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:44 am

Does anyone know if career services can split up the bidcounts amongst individual offices for some firms?
E.g. its not that helpful to know the total bidcount for DC + NY + Texas offices when you are only interested in 1 of the 3..

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10736
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:53 am

I think they usually do - at least for most firms. Firms where they combine bids in tracking may have multi-office interviews such that the distinction would be harder to parse out. Looking at the private sector grade history might give you some idea on popularity and where you stand with preselect.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:02 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:Felix,

Top 5% comes as a letter, weirdly enough, and it didn't come last year until after bid lists were finalized and resumes gone out. So updated resumes at EIW are usually in order. There's variance each year but if your GPA is over 3.75 you're probably in.

I did DC only and used ~25 bids. Got 11 interviews and scrounged up 3 more (one of which ended up being where I am now). This is on the low end - if you can get 18-20 interviews even with top grades, that's more advisable.

EIW'd it up last year, DC only. In this thread to give advice if so desired.


Thanks a ton. I'm also top 5%, and like Felix was told by cso not to use all my bids if I bid DC only. I was wondering how well that would really work.
Shooting for litigation. Good luck all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:40 am

Has this year's 5% letter already come out? Two years ago it came by email, for what it's worth.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has this year's 5% letter already come out? Two years ago it came by email, for what it's worth.


Not yet (I hope). Sitting in the mid-3.8s.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:29 am

At mid 3.8's you're definitely in. Letter came last year in like mid-July I think.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:At mid 3.8's you're definitely in. Letter came last year in like mid-July I think.

Advisor told me in a meeting that the letter will be both hard copy and email, and to expect it after bids are due but before journal results. Also, mid 3.8 is definitely in, probably closer to top 3%.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Can anyone speak to whether or not I should be doing anything under the '2015 Request for Resumes' under the drop down on Symplicity?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's my very-early NY Bid list. I'm going to sprinkle in some secondaries, but I'm strictly transactional. Decent Finance WE and a transactional-focused 1L job. 3.4x, but .01 outside of top 1/3.

Am I missing any or is my order a mess?

-BabyJesus


Bump with an updated list. Any help would be very much appreciated. Looking mostly at NYC/Boston.

Weil, Gotshal & Manges, LLP (New York, NY)
White & Case LLP (New York, NY)
Kirkland & Ellis LLP (New York, NY)
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP (New York, NY)
Shearman & Sterling LLP (New York, NY)
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP (New York, NY)
Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP (Boston, MA)
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo (Boston, MA)
Ropes & Gray LLP (New York, NY)
Cahill Gordon & Reindel (New York, NY)
Clifford Chance (New York, NY)
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP (New York, NY)
Foley Hoag LLP (Boston, MA)
Dechert LLP (New York, NY)
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP (New York, NY)
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP (New York, NY)
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP (New York, NY)
Chadbourne & Parke, LLP (New York, NY)
Morrison & Foerster - PRACTICE SPECIFIC (Washington, DC)
Foley & Lardner LLP (Boston, MA)
Sidley Austin LLP (New York, NY)
Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP (New York, NY)
Debevoise & Plimpton (New York, NY)
Allen & Overy (New York, NY)
Linklaters LLP (New York, NY)
Proskauer Rose LLP (New York, NY)
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP (New York, NY)
WilmerHale (Boston, MA)
Latham & Watkins (New York, NY)
Jones Day (New York, NY)
K&L Gates (Boston, MA)
Latham & Watkins (Boston, MA)
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP (Boston, MA)
Jones Day (Boston, MA)
DLA Piper US LLP (Boston, MA)
Chapman and Cutler LLP (Washington, DC)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here's my very-early NY Bid list. I'm going to sprinkle in some secondaries, but I'm strictly transactional. Decent Finance WE and a transactional-focused 1L job. 3.4x, but .01 outside of top 1/3.

Am I missing any or is my order a mess?

-BabyJesus


Bump with an updated list. Any help would be very much appreciated. Looking mostly at NYC/Boston.

Weil, Gotshal & Manges, LLP (New York, NY)
White & Case LLP (New York, NY)
Kirkland & Ellis LLP (New York, NY)
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP (New York, NY)
Shearman & Sterling LLP (New York, NY)
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP (New York, NY)
Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP (Boston, MA)
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo (Boston, MA)
Ropes & Gray LLP (New York, NY)
Cahill Gordon & Reindel (New York, NY)
Clifford Chance (New York, NY)
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP (New York, NY)
Foley Hoag LLP (Boston, MA)
Dechert LLP (New York, NY)
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP (New York, NY)
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP (New York, NY)
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP (New York, NY)
Chadbourne & Parke, LLP (New York, NY)
Morrison & Foerster - PRACTICE SPECIFIC (Washington, DC)
Foley & Lardner LLP (Boston, MA)
Sidley Austin LLP (New York, NY)
Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP (New York, NY)
Debevoise & Plimpton (New York, NY)
Allen & Overy (New York, NY)
Linklaters LLP (New York, NY)
Proskauer Rose LLP (New York, NY)
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP (New York, NY)
WilmerHale (Boston, MA)
Latham & Watkins (New York, NY)
Jones Day (New York, NY)
K&L Gates (Boston, MA)
Latham & Watkins (Boston, MA)
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP (Boston, MA)
Jones Day (Boston, MA)
DLA Piper US LLP (Boston, MA)
Chapman and Cutler LLP (Washington, DC)


You likely won't get Schulte or Cahill that low... both are NY/transactionally-focused firms that you seem to be looking for.
With your GPA you could probably reach higher

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:51 am

Any transfer students feeling confident or looking at this like their at the bottom of the class?


-Dr. transfer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:12 pm

Hey everyone, JC here. I posted my top 10 above and am now posting my longer updated list. Any critiques of it would be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

Just outside top 15%. Hoping to do transactional work.

Simpson & Thatcher (NY)
Latham and Watkins (NY)
Kirkland & Ellis (NY)
Wilmerhale (NY)
Paul Weiss (NY)
Jones Day (NY)
Sidley Austin (NY)
Ropes & Gray (NY)
Fried Frank (NY)
Skadden (NY)
Weil Gotshal & Manges (NY)
O’Melveny (NY)
Milbank Tweed (NY)
Hogan Lovells (NY)
K&L Gates (NY)
Paul Hastings (NY)
White and Case (NY)
Morgan Lewis Botkius (NY)
Foley & Lardner (NY)
Cahill Gordon (NY)
Reed Smith (NY)
Goodwin Procter (NY)
Willikie Farr & Gallagher (NY)
Dechert (NY)
Cooley (NY)
Alston & Bird (NY)
Shearman & Sterling (NY)
Cadwalder Wickersham & Taft (NY)
Akin Gump (NY)
Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe (NY)
Schulte Roth & Zabel (NY)
Shepard Mullin Richter & Hampton (NY)
Baker Hosteler (NY)
Stroock (NY)
McDermott Will & Emery (NY)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.