NYU EIW Madness 2015 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2015

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:41 pm

To the 3.3 DC person:

DC is the single most competitive legal market, especially after the financial crisis. The market shrank significantly, and it has not recovered much since then, unlike New York. At median, I am afraid you should probably get rid of most of your DC bids, if not all, especially since your contacts are mostly in New York. Because the DC firms have small classes, they can afford to be much more grade-conscious than other places. Someone can correct me on this, but my understanding is that even a top 10% person at a top school (maybe not Yale who knows) has a significant chance of striking out if he only bids DC.

Ask your lawyering professor and TA's for the contacts of the NYU students summering in DC right now, e-mail them about job prospects there and what strategies you should take, and bid accordingly. Someone who has a job there right now can tell you better than anyone else. I'm not interested in DC myself, but one thing I can tell you is that you are probably way over-bidding DC at the moment.

I imagine one route you can take if you do not get DC next summer is: (1) summer in NY where you could get some experience in the kind of work you want; (2) try to break into DC firms in your 3L year (with the 2L summer firm offer in hand and proven interest in the field); (3) or if that doesn't work out transfer office or lateral after, say, 2-3 years of work in New York.

On your list you should bring up Fried Frank NY, Chadbourne, Shearman NY, and clifford chance NY. No matter what you do you need to make sure you interview with these firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:05 pm

To the 3.1 person who posted again:

At this point I think you know better than I. Again, I don't think anyone knows or can predict exactly where the firms will clear. Just study the summer class size pdf the OCS posted and make a bet.

To the 3.4x person:

I think Paul Hastings and Latham might be at risk, but I'm not sure. Also, if the past threads are to be trusted, Sidley probably doesn't have to be at 2, but it does at CLS, and that might carry over to NYU. Who knows. I don't think you have any clear misses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the 3.3 DC person:

DC is the single most competitive legal market, especially after the financial crisis. The market shrank significantly, and it has not recovered much since then, unlike New York. At median, I am afraid you should probably get rid of most of your DC bids, if not all, especially since your contacts are mostly in New York. Because the DC firms have small classes, they can afford to be much more grade-conscious than other places. Someone can correct me on this, but my understanding is that even a top 10% person at a top school (maybe not Yale who knows) has a significant chance of striking out if he only bids DC.

Ask your lawyering professor and TA's for the contacts of the NYU students summering in DC right now, e-mail them about job prospects there and what strategies you should take, and bid accordingly. Someone who has a job there right now can tell you better than anyone else. I'm not interested in DC myself, but one thing I can tell you is that you are probably way over-bidding DC at the moment.

I imagine one route you can take if you do not get DC next summer is: (1) summer in NY where you could get some experience in the kind of work you want; (2) try to break into DC firms in your 3L year (with the 2L summer firm offer in hand and proven interest in the field); (3) or if that doesn't work out transfer office or lateral after, say, 2-3 years of work in New York.

On your list you should bring up Fried Frank NY, Chadbourne, Shearman NY, and Clifford Chance NY. No matter what you do you need to make sure you interview with these firms.
Yeah tbh my first thought on seeing Jetsetterette's list was "so this is how people strike out." In particular, don't waste a bid on GDC DC, A&P DC, Covington DC or Wilmer DC with a 3.3 - absent great connections or work experience, I think those are definitely out. And Simpson DC, for example, has like 10 people in the whole office. My friend works there and she said it's real small (but note she got Simpson NY and then transferred). I'd imagine they aren't hiring many folks. Also, int'l arbitration/FCPA may be the most sought after practice area, so the competition will be fierce. Probably best to throw in some more big class NY firms towards the top.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:09 am

Hey guys, just looking for some advice on bidding since I have no clue what I am doing. I am K-JD with a finance degree, and 3.44 gpa. I would prefer transactional since I think it is a better chance of me getting a job but would be happy with litigation (gaining some litigation experience this summer as well). I have some ties to Atlanta, hence King & Spalding and Alston, yet I imagine that I am bidding those too low to get but don't really care that much. I had no idea what to do with those later bids. Everywhere else is NY. My first thought about my list is that I am being too aggressive but I have no way of finding out if that is true, the guidance office wasn't very helpful.

Here is my list so far, any and all critiques are welcome.

1 Sidley Austin
2 Latham
3 Proskauer
4 Willkie
5 Linklaters
6 Paul Hastings
7 Ropes & Gray
8 Arnold & Porter
9 Akin Gump
10 Weil Gotshal
11 Milbank Tweed
12 Debevoise Plimpton
13 Dechert
14 Desmarais
15 Morrison & Foerster
16 Jones Day
17 Schulte Roth & Zabel
18 Freshfields Bruckhaus
19 Cleary
20 Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
21 WilmerHale
22 Fried Frank
23 Jenner & Block
24 Allen & Overy
25 O’Melveny & Meyers
26 clifford chance
27 White & Case
28 Paul Weiss
29 Cravath
30 Shearman & Sterling
31 Cadwalader, Wickersham
32 Simpson Thacher
33 Davis Polk
34 Cahill Gordon
35 Kaye Scholer
36 Skadden
37 Goodwin Procter
38 Kirkland & Ellis
39 Hughes Hubbard & Reed
40 Alston & Bird
41 King & Spalding
42 Pilsbury Winthrop
43 Baker & Hostetler
44 Gunderson Dettmer
45 Hunton & Williams
46 Mayer Brown
47 Morgan, Lewis
48 Norton Rose Fulbright
49 Schiff Hardin
50 Cooley

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:21 am

To the person above.

I think skadden is widely popular since they are less grade conscientious and needs to be top 10. You might miss Weil too. You can probably move down Milbank and Wilkie. You need to move up Paul Hastings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:People who have been through EIW before, what's the best strategy for bidding a small secondary market? I really want to work in a specific location that has only a few firms coming (fewer than 10) for EIW. Do I have to bid them all very high on my list to get an interview, or should I be putting desirable NYC alternatives 1-10 on my list with my target secondary market firms at 10-20? The thinking is that there will be less competition for the secondary market firm interviews. Also, I'm sub-median, so I need to bid strategically.
Bumping to get on page 2 of the thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm the 3.44 that posted my bidlist above, thank you for the advice I will definitely put in those corrections. Any other general advice on if I am bidding too strongly or not? Trying to get a hold of how strong my list is to securing a position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:04 pm

How does Columbia have 12 pages and we barley have 2? We need advice NYU!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the 3.1 person who posted again:

At this point I think you know better than I. Again, I don't think anyone knows or can predict exactly where the firms will clear. Just study the summer class size pdf the OCS posted and make a bet.

To the 3.4x person:

I think Paul Hastings and Latham might be at risk, but I'm not sure. Also, if the past threads are to be trusted, Sidley probably doesn't have to be at 2, but it does at CLS, and that might carry over to NYU. Who knows. I don't think you have any clear misses.
Thanks. If I move paul hastings up, what can come down a slot or two? Skadden? Ropes? I want to make sure to get both.

As for Latham, how far up would you move it? Right above Paul Weiss, bumping PW, Hogan, Wilkie and Jones day down? Do you think Paul Weiss could safely go down a few more slots?
Anonymous User wrote:Let me know what you guys think of this list. It's a little schizophrenic, with the weird split with DC. I'm honestly not sure how high/low to rank some of the DC firms. Kind of threw some in there and hoping a few will stick, since I'm not really sure what to do with bids 20-30 anyway. I also really have no idea what to do with those last like 10 spots at all.

3.4x cumulative, but dramatic grade increase from first semester to 2nd (3.2 to 3.65ish), so hoping that will work in my favor with some of my reaches. Great work experience pre-law school, science undergrad major, 1L summer job that seems to resonate with a lot of firms. Interested in transactional but want to get a taste of lit as well. Very solid interviewer - I hesitate to say great because that makes me sound like a tool, but definitely objectively quite good. Bolded are the firms I absolutely don't want to miss.

Thanks!

1. Proskaeur Rose
2. Sidley Austin
3. Ropes & Gray
4. Skadden
5. paul hastings
6. Weil
7. Shearman
8. milbank
9. Arnold & Porter
10. Mayer Brown

11. White & Case
12. O’ Melveny & Myers
13. Akin Gump
14. Gibson Dunn
15. Debevoise
16. cadwalader
17. Arnold & Porter DC
18. Akin Gump DC
19. Fried Frank?
20. Paul Weiss
21. Hogan Lovells
22. Wilkie
23. jones day
24. latham
25. Cahill gordon
26. gibson dunnDC
27. jones day DC
28. Freshfields ny&dc&london
29. Allen & ovary
30. Simpson thatcher
31. Covington
32. clifford chance
33. Cleary Gottlieb
34. Hogan Lovells DC
35. Orick
36. Davis Polk
37. morgan lewis
38. Paul Weiss DC
39. Cravath
40. Cleary dc
41. fried frank DC
42. Kaye Scholer
43. Stroock
44. Greenberg Traurig
45. Simpson Thatcher UK?
46. Dechert
47. Skadden asia
Any other takers? Also, I'll add a sign off.

~honeybadger

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:39 am

Jetsetterette here again!

I really appreciate the feedback. I have 21 NY firms on my list so I'm not too worried about striking out entirely, but I definitely agree about moving some of the large SA class NY firms a little higher so I'll be sure to do that. I understand that I might have to start at a NY office and either transfer or lateral to DC, but I'm still going to give DC a shot for now.

A few things to add: I have some prior gov't WE in DC, but nothing extensive enough to really count as ties. Back in May I talked to OCS about my goals and whether DC would be feasible for me. OCS still encouraged me to go for it but told me to consider lateraling later if I ended up in NY instead. I've been contacting rising 3Ls who targeted DC last year to ask for advice and am reaching out to NYU alums in DC (although I'm working abroad this summer so I can't actually meet with anyone in person). Also, I have a callback lined up with a V65 firm's NY office, so if EIW doesn't go well I'm not entirely out of luck.

Thanks for the advice and your honesty!

-Jetsetterette

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:10 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:25 pm

This is so dumb, but I have no idea what to bid. I'm pretty indifferent to transactional or litigation, and have a ~3.9 GPA. Want exclusively NYC. Like, what criteria should I use to pick stuff? Or does anyone have a sample bid list or something for around my GPA? I figure most firms are attainable; I just don't know what I should care about when picking between them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:40 pm

well this should be fun

list submitted

i'm glad our thread is so small compared to CLS. i dont feel like stressing

-Paul Heyman

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:15 am

~3.9. NYC lit mainly with MTO thrown in for no reason. Please help.

1. Boies
2. Debevoise
3. Gibson Dunn
4. Paul Weiss
5. Skadden
6. Davis Polk
7. S&C
8. WilmerHale
9. Ropes
10. Cravath
11. Cahill
12. Cleary
13. Covington
14. Weil
15. Kirkland
16. WLRK
17. Simpson Thatcher
18. Hughes
19. Latham
20. White & Case
21. Paul Hastings
22. Cadwalader
23. Shearman
24. Milbank
25. Hogan
26. Clifford
27. Akin
28. O'Melveny
29. Dechert
30. Fried
31. Mayer
32. Arnold
33. Freshfield
34. Allen & Overy
35. Goodwin
36. Cooley
37. Sidley Austin
38. Jones Day
39. Wilkie
40. Munger

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:46 am

Bids are submitted. Godspeed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Last minute bidlist critique:

Perkins Coie LLP
davis wright tremaine llp
K&L Gates LLP

Proskauer
Wilson Sonsini
cooley llp

Fenwick & West LLP
Orrick
Paul Hastings
Ropes & Gray
White & Case
Jones Day
Bracewell & Giuliani
Schulte Roth
Arnold & Porter
Paul Weiss
Cahill Gordon
Weil, Gotshal
O'Melveny
Willkie Farr
Clifford Chance
Goodwin Proctor
Fried Frank
Akin Gump
Dentons US
Carter Ledyard
Linklaters
Duane Morris
Debevoise
Mofo
Kaye Scholer
Hughes Hubbard
Kramer Levin
Chadbourne
Holland & Knight
Stroock
Norton Rose
King & Spalding
Alston & Bird
Hogan Lovells
Gibson, Dunn
Greenberg Traurig
Baker McKenzie
Reed Smith
Cozen
Kelley Drye
Brown Rudnick
Allen & Overy
Arent Fox
Hunton & Williams

bolded firms are based in Seattle, WA; everything else is NYC. GPA is 3.20.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:55 pm

3.4x with grade increase here, revised list with significant edits. Bolded are the ones I really want. Please assist!

Specific questions:
1. Desponding to feedback, I moved sidley down a bit. Think it's still safe at 5? Or should I switch it with paul hastings at 4?
2. Is paul Weiss looking good at 22?
3. Any other bolded firms that look like cause for concern?

Thanks dudes!
~honeybadger

1. Proskaeur Rose
2. Ropes & Gray
3. Skadden
4. paul hastings
5. Sidley Austin
6. Weil
7. Shearman
8. Mayer Brown
9. Goodwin proctor
10. O’ Melveny & Myers
11. Akin Gump DC
12. Debevoise
13. latham
14. hogan lovells
15. Arnold & Porter DC
16. Akin Gump

17. Fried Frank?
18. Simpson thatcher
19. Wilmer hale DC
20. Morgan Lewis DC
21. Allen & ovary – NY or DC?
22. Paul Weiss
23. Morgan Lewis NY
24. Davis Polk
25. Cleary Gottlieb
26. jones day
27. Gibson Dunn
28. Cadwalader
29. Freshfields
30. Covington DC
31. Covington ny
32. Wilmerhale NY
33. Paul Weiss DC
34. Cravath
35. Kaye Scholer
36. Dechert
37. Cleary dc
38. fried frank DC
39. white and case
40. wilkie farr
41. orrick
42. Stroock
43. Schulte
44. Greenberg Traurig
45. Skadden asia
46. Steptoe and johnson

Anonymous User wrote:Let me know what you guys think of this list. It's a little schizophrenic, with the weird split with DC. I'm honestly not sure how high/low to rank some of the DC firms. Kind of threw some in there and hoping a few will stick, since I'm not really sure what to do with bids 20-30 anyway. I also really have no idea what to do with those last like 10 spots at all.

3.4x cumulative, but dramatic grade increase from first semester to 2nd (3.2 to 3.65ish), so hoping that will work in my favor with some of my reaches. Great work experience pre-law school, science undergrad major, 1L summer job that seems to resonate with a lot of firms. Interested in transactional but want to get a taste of lit as well. Very solid interviewer - I hesitate to say great because that makes me sound like a tool, but definitely objectively quite good. Bolded are the firms I absolutely don't want to miss.

Thanks!

1. Proskaeur Rose
2. Sidley Austin
3. Ropes & Gray
4. Skadden
5. paul hastings
6. Weil
7. Shearman
8. milbank
9. Arnold & Porter
10. Mayer Brown

11. White & Case
12. O’ Melveny & Myers
13. Akin Gump
14. Gibson Dunn
15. Debevoise
16. cadwalader
17. Arnold & Porter DC
18. Akin Gump DC
19. Fried Frank?
20. Paul Weiss
21. Hogan Lovells
22. Wilkie
23. jones day
24. latham
25. Cahill gordon
26. gibson dunnDC
27. jones day DC
28. Freshfields ny&dc&london
29. Allen & ovary
30. Simpson thatcher
31. Covington
32. clifford chance
33. Cleary Gottlieb
34. Hogan Lovells DC
35. Orick
36. Davis Polk
37. morgan lewis
38. Paul Weiss DC
39. Cravath
40. Cleary dc
41. fried frank DC
42. Kaye Scholer
43. Stroock
44. Greenberg Traurig
45. Simpson Thatcher UK?
46. Dechert
47. Skadden asia

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:57 pm

Okay, enough futzing around with my bidlist. Time to pull the trigger on this puppy.

-Starbucks Lover

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:00 pm

Did anyone else's bidlist just freeze? I can't change my bids anymore, and we still have a good two hours to do that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:08 pm

I have my bids ranked, but is there something I do to submit it? Or is having them ranked enough?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:11 pm

Having them ranked is enough.

-Starbucks Lover

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:51 pm

To posters above: I don't think you'll get Proskauer at 3/4.

-Starbucks Lover

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:43 am

Lists are final! Good luck, everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:50 pm

when are the results out?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!