They loved me but no position?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kittenesque

They loved me but no position?

Postby kittenesque » Fri May 08, 2015 1:09 pm

I had a screener and callbacks at a big law firm where I felt I really hit it off with everyone. HR called me this week and said that the group loved me, but that no position was available right now, and that I should stay in touch through September because their needs may change. Has anyone gotten a call like this? Is this just a nice way of telling me they decided to go with someone else? Is it conceivable that they were just preemptively interviewing back ups? Any insight would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Capitol_Idea

Re: They loved me but no position?

Postby Capitol_Idea » Fri May 08, 2015 1:13 pm

It varies with firms, but I read that as 'no offer but if currently offered people decline/leave or hiring needs increase then we'll consider you.'

So don't bank on it, but it might pan out unexpectedly down the line.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 08, 2015 2:51 pm

I would take them at their word. There is probably an outside concern unrelated to you. Stay in contact.

TheGenWhyLawyer

Postby TheGenWhyLawyer » Thu May 14, 2015 9:48 pm

I agree with everyone who commented. No matter their reasons for not offering you a position now, there's no use in dwelling on it. Be content that they liked you enough to call you and tell you that the group of interviewers liked you. Definitely keep in touch with them. Since they prompted you to stay in touch through September, you should definitely do that! Until they give you a hard "no," there's always a possibility. Good luck!

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri May 15, 2015 10:22 am

I've had this happen before. You should check in every 1.5 months or so.

I interviewed with a very high end litigation boutique and thought I knocked the interview out of the park. I went to a Bar event and a partner at the firm told me he "would strongly advocate in my favor." Turns out I didn't get the offer because of timing issues, but I got an email telling me to keep in touch because they thought I'd be a great fit.

I'd always go out of my way to say hey or send an update email every two months or so. About 9 months later, the firm asked me to come back in for an interview and told me that I've got the job if they determine they have the capacity.

So yeah, if you don't get the offer, but it's not phrased in terms of "we had a number of highly credentialed applicants blah blah," then you should read it as "we liked you a lot but aren't sure we have the workflow to bring on another associate," so check back and see if that changes.

Even if their needs don't change, you could always ask them if they recommend any other places in town. I've gotten a few referral interviews by using that tactic.

Avian

Postby Avian » Fri May 15, 2015 5:36 pm

I agree with what's been said. The big tip off for people who might be in this position in the future is that they asked you to keep in touch. If you get a straight ding they will almost certainly not ask you to keep emailing them/following up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2015 2:36 pm

This happened to me at a few different firms between 2011 and 2012. Hiring was pretty limited for entry level during those years (and particularly in the markets I wanted), so I just assumed they meant what they said (i.e. that they were very impressed by me but simply didn't have the need for an additional attorney). I never got an offer from any of those firms. Although, one firm did re-interview me only for the partner to call me to tell me again that they were very interested in me but simply didn't have the right opening and to not give up on them because the firm really wanted to see me working at the firm really soon. I kind of gave up on the firm to try and pursued some other avenues, so I'm not sure if it could have worked out (maybe).

Return to “Legal Employment”