2015 Loyola Patent Law Interview Program - unofficial thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mightymouse23

New

2015 Loyola Patent Law Interview Program - unofficial thread

Post by mightymouse23 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:07 pm

I figured I'd start a thread pertaining to this year's Patent Law Interview Program.

I know bidding is still a month away, but go ahead and ask questions if you have them. I'm a 1L, so this will be my first time doing it. 2Ls, please share your experiences.

mightymouse23

New

Re: 2015 Loyola Patent Law Interview Program - unofficial thread

Post by mightymouse23 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Here's an initial question I have: I have a 1L SA lined up at a V50 firm well known for their IP work and I plan on bidding to firms in markets other than this one, which is kind of a secondary market where I have no ties. Would it be a good idea to include this upcoming SA job on my resume? I've heard it's completely fine to indicate your upcoming summer job on a resume for fall OCI; however, I'm wondering whether including this would actually backfire? While it would suggest that I'll be getting good IP training this summer (and I'm probably not too socially awkward since I was able to get the job), it might make them question why I'm applying to their market or they may think I plan on ending up in the semi-secondary market I'm spending my 1L summer in. Whereas if I didn't mention it on my resume they would have no reason to question that. Any thoughts/advice?
Last edited by mightymouse23 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Does 3L has any chance in this thing?

mightymouse23

New

Post by mightymouse23 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does 3L has any chance in this thing?
Here's what their website says. However, registration ended on March 9th and they are pretty strict about that I've heard.

The 2015 Patent Law Interview Program will be accepting registrations from:

JD students graduating in May/June 2016 (3Ls)
JD students graduating in May/June 2017 (2Ls)
JD students graduating in December 2015/January 2016 (3Ls)
JD students graduating in December 2016/January 2017 (2Ls)
Students in Intellectual Property LLM programs with anticipated graduation dates in 2016 and 2017

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:00 pm

mightymouse23 wrote:
Here's what their website says. However, registration ended on March 9th and they are pretty strict about that I've heard.

The 2015 Patent Law Interview Program will be accepting registrations from:

JD students graduating in May/June 2016 (3Ls)
JD students graduating in May/June 2017 (2Ls)
JD students graduating in December 2015/January 2016 (3Ls)
JD students graduating in December 2016/January 2017 (2Ls)
Students in Intellectual Property LLM programs with anticipated graduation dates in 2016 and 2017
already registered, just curious if they really interview any 3L. Miss the last year event due to a stupid mistake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:42 am

Back in my day (2011), I ended up with 5-6 screeners. I was T20 like 20%ish, but had 2L so took that and never ended up interviewing.

Totally worth trying tho, PLIP is awesome.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:04 am

If you do not have a technical background/STEM degree, should you even bother with PLIP?

mightymouse23

New

Post by mightymouse23 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you do not have a technical background/STEM degree, should you even bother with PLIP?
First, you'll be limited to patent lit. There's plenty of patent litigators who lack a tech/stem background, though. However, you would be at a disadvantage and would probably need great grades at a great school.

mightymouse23

New

Post by mightymouse23 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you do not have a technical background/STEM degree, should you even bother with PLIP?
If you plan on going into IP lit, then you MUST do PLIP. It's the forum most firms use to begin the process of filling their SA positions. But without a tech/stem background, you'll need to show some evidence that you're set on going into patent lit and that you're not just applying in hopes of landing a random SA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:53 am

Anyone know about how many firms were interviewing 3L's last year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:57 pm

kcdc1 wrote:Anyone know about how many firms were interviewing 3L's last year?
I went as a 2L last year, but I remember counting around 40 firms interviewing 3Ls last summer.

Ended up with a decent amount of screeners at PLIP last summer and it was a great experience, but I ultimately got my one job offer via mass mail. I want to go again this summer but I have an SA at a ~20-30 attorney IP boutique that will run through PLIP. They say they typically offer post bar employment to summers but it's certainty nothing guaranteed like most big law SAs. Therefore, I don't know what I should do. Guess I'll make a decision in June whether to ask to go based on the amount of screeners I get and how my summer job is going.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:39 pm

I had a bio/chem degree and mediocre grades at a great school. I ended up with about 5 screeners and no callbacks from PLIP.
My UG GPA was fairly low (low 3's).
My resume also had a lack of "IP" stuff and I think I came off as very disingenuous for IP since my coursework was heavy on bankruptcy courses.
If you don't have a STEM degree but if you still have an "IP heavy" resume, I'd say PLIP would be worth it

In hindsight, I still would have attended PLIP. However, if it's for only 1-2 interviews, I would gauge whether it's worth the cost of the flight and hotel (I think it might be).

I would still bid anyway since you don't lose anything... then decide

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:34 pm

I kicked myself for missing the 2L PLIP for stupid reason, I though 1L registration was for 1L summer. Stupid me, I do end up getting a 2L SA in a secondary market from other events. But I want to be in major market like NY or SF. I was wondering what are the odds for a 3L?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:40 am

Anyone have thoughts about attending PLIP during a SA?

Given that your SA firm will not yet have made you an offer, it seems reasonable to hedge your bets by continuing to interview. But the interviews are on weekdays, so you'd need to swing a day off from work with your current firm to meet with other firms. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:30 am

I straight up asked my SA firm and they told me they want me to attend PLIP since they won't yet have offers by that time. It was worded in a way to suggest I'd be stupid if I skipped it. I'd just ask your firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have thoughts about attending PLIP during a SA?

Given that your SA firm will not yet have made you an offer, it seems reasonable to hedge your bets by continuing to interview. But the interviews are on weekdays, so you'd need to swing a day off from work with your current firm to meet with other firms. Thoughts?
My SA was over a week before Chicago. But the career office in my school suggest me not to put my 2L SA firm on the resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:02 pm

I'll have 2 Summers working at a Soft-IP botique by my 3L PLIP. I want to move to a big firm that has a similar practice. Register, or waste of my time?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll have 2 Summers working at a Soft-IP botique by my 3L PLIP. I want to move to a big firm that has a similar practice. Register, or waste of my time?
Registration time was already over, so you either were registered or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I straight up asked my SA firm and they told me they want me to attend PLIP since they won't yet have offers by that time. It was worded in a way to suggest I'd be stupid if I skipped it. I'd just ask your firm.
Around when did you ask? Before starting?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I straight up asked my SA firm and they told me they want me to attend PLIP since they won't yet have offers by that time. It was worded in a way to suggest I'd be stupid if I skipped it. I'd just ask your firm.
Different anon poster, but I am in a similar situation. I am a 1L and I also have a big law SA. The PLIP will interfere with my SA schedule. I asked my SA firm about attending PLIP prior to accepting my offer. They also said they expect that many of their 1L SAs will want to attend and they generally encourage attendance regardless (the recruiting department from all major firms will be there interviewing people anyway).

I asked the recruiting department so it is hard to say if their answer will hold weight so I still will likely talk with someone when I arrive at the SA, but before booking travel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Different anon poster, but I am in a similar situation. I am a 1L and I also have a big law SA. The PLIP will interfere with my SA schedule. I asked my SA firm about attending PLIP prior to accepting my offer. They also said they expect that many of their 1L SAs will want to attend and they generally encourage attendance regardless (the recruiting department from all major firms will be there interviewing people anyway).

I asked the recruiting department so it is hard to say if their answer will hold weight so I still will likely talk with someone when I arrive at the SA, but before booking travel.
You are 1L, there is a world difference between 1L SA and 2L SA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mightymouse23

New

Post by mightymouse23 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes. since the deadline for plip registration was prior to the start of my SA

checkers

Bronze

Post by checkers » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:53 pm

PLIP email just went out notifying everyone of the webcast next week. For those who have better things to do at 1pm on Wednesdays, and don't want to wait a week for the archive to pop up, here's last year's presentation: http://www.pli.edu/Content/OnDemand/You ... D%3d213696

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:35 pm

Anyone know if bidding unsuccessfully or a failed screener in PLIP in any way effects your chances with that firm via mass mail or OCI

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:00 am

even if I'm not registered, can I swing by hospitality suites to drop off resumes? (rising 3L)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”