Advice for choosing 2L summer position?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice for choosing 2L summer position?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:19 pm

2L, top 15% at a lower ranked school. I worked at the public defender for my 1L summer for a volunteer stipend and was offered first choice for a paid certified intern position there which will put me in court everyday with 10-11 clients.

I was also offered a paid law clerk position at a county prosecutor and the job duties mostly include answering discovery with the occasional brief or motion response and will not have me in court.

The last offer is a paid law clerk position at a 30-atty firm that handles P.I. Defense, probate, business matters, and employment law.

The public defender position sounds like the most involved and offering most experience how ever is it not a good idea to work the same job 2L summer?

Also what would the clerk at the firm job likely entail based on my description? I was told it was research, filing, helping w depos, etc

I'm conflicted because I don't really know what my career goals are yet. I do like the practice of criminal law, more on the defense side but I like the $$ midlaw private practice would eventually bring in (although a perm offer is remote),

yomisterd

Re: Advice for choosing 2L summer position?

Postby yomisterd » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:24 pm

far be it from me to offer advice as a measly 1L, but my two cents is go with the PD office. If they gave you first choice for this summer, it sounds like they would be interested in possibly hiring you after a good summer. (or at least, two summers in PD with real court experience looks great for future apps)

again, take my advice with huge doses of salt. it sounds like this is where you are most wanted + would get most experience + paid.

thebobs1987

Postby thebobs1987 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:29 pm

If you enjoyed working at the PD's office last summer and think you want to be on the defense side of things, I would probably go with the PD office. If the firm gave you a good shot at permanent job then it would be a different answer

k5220

Postby k5220 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:14 am

Take the PD office that you like and will give you good work, but maybe look for a term-time internship next year to help diversify your resume and give you a larger range of experiences in case you want to apply elsewhere after graduation (that way not all your eggs are in one basket)

Return to “Legal Employment”