how to address a lawyer in a follow up email (from job fair) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jon_Snow

New

how to address a lawyer in a follow up email (from job fair)

Post by Jon_Snow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Last edited by Jon_Snow on Tue May 16, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Diamond

Re: how to address a lawyer in a follow up email (from job fair)

Post by gdane » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:19 pm

Jon_Snow wrote:as the title says, what is the best way to address an attorney in a follow up email after having met them at a job fair?

Dear John,

Dear John Doe,

Dear Mr John Doe,

??

Thanks.
mr. Doe.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Jon_Snow wrote:as the title says, what is the best way to address an attorney in a follow up email after having met them at a job fair?

Dear John,

Dear John Doe,

Dear Mr John Doe,

??

Thanks.
Wow. You literally know nothing, Jon Snow. Gdane's right, unless you have some reason to think less formal is ok (i.e. he said "call me John").

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:05 pm

You could always say mister always err on the side of formality with a Mr. But if its someone under 40 I'd probably just go with the first name. Doubt they'd give a shit either way.

Arad

Bronze

Post by Arad » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:10 am

You should give them a cool nick name and address them using that.

EX: Tanaysha Williams => Dear TayTay

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:52 am

Your honour John Doe, esq.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:53 pm

lol ease up, guys. This isn't a dumb question; I remember being in the same shoes when I was a law student too. But, I don't think you can go wrong with Mr. [x]. Odds are he'll probably tell you to call him by his first name when/if you meet. Even in practice I address other attorneys outside of my firm as Mr./Ms. initially.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:56 pm

As a young associate (i.e. late 20's), it would be weird if someone my age or older were addressing me as Mr. Doe. Once you have met the person, had a chat, can tell approx the age difference, etc. then the question answers itself. Sure, if its some partner, where there is a legit generational gap, say Mr. so and so. If its an associate who is pretty much your age, and with whom you have already chatted at an event, just use first name.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm a student in my 30s and always address err on the side of excessive formality, especially when it comes to clients or potential employers. If someone is around your age or younger AND you have met them and feel it would be okay to address them by their first name, then go ahead. Otherwise, use Mr./Ms., no one will take offense if you are too formal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:54 pm

what do you think will happen if you get it wrong?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:04 pm

You need people to "go to bat" for you throughout your career in any industry. On the off chance someone feels slighted because you didn't use an adequately deferential salutation, he or she may be less likely to do that for you.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:You need people to "go to bat" for you throughout your career in any industry. On the off chance someone feels slighted because you didn't use an adequately deferential salutation, he or she may be less likely to do that for you.
You also need people to not think you're a scared little kid who's out of their depth and socially awkward to boot if you expect anyone to "go to bat" for you. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that the socially awkward answer is prevailing here, but in modern American business culture you address people you've previously met and spoken to by their first names (or whatever name they introduced themselves by) unless you're showing respect for their attained position (judges, elected officials, and professors/deans is probably the list you're likely to run into in our field). If the person's name is Jonathan and he introduces himself as Jon, you'd be an inattentive dick to address him as Jonathan (or anything else including Mr. Smith) in your follow-up e-mail. This isn't the military and you aren't working retail.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:15 am

fats provolone wrote:what do you think will happen if you get it wrong?
No offered.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:52 am

KidStuddi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You need people to "go to bat" for you throughout your career in any industry. On the off chance someone feels slighted because you didn't use an adequately deferential salutation, he or she may be less likely to do that for you.
You also need people to not think you're a scared little kid who's out of their depth and socially awkward to boot if you expect anyone to "go to bat" for you. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that the socially awkward answer is prevailing here, but in modern American business culture you address people you've previously met and spoken to by their first names (or whatever name they introduced themselves by) unless you're showing respect for their attained position (judges, elected officials, and professors/deans is probably the list you're likely to run into in our field). If the person's name is Jonathan and he introduces himself as Jon, you'd be an inattentive dick to address him as Jonathan (or anything else including Mr. Smith) in your follow-up e-mail. This isn't the military and you aren't working retail.
Law is a very conservative industry, even more so in certain regions such as the South. Some lawyers would prefer that law students they barely know address them as Mr./Ms. (this coming from a family member who is a former BigLaw partner who said not to use first names unless you have an indication otherwise).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”