Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 341854
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 am

I have a few offers but am still waiting on my top choice firm. (It's my top choice because It's looking to hire in a practice area I really want to work in, and the partner in charge of that group was very enthusiastic about me joining the group.) should I send a follow up letting them know that I have other offers (one is about to expire in a week) but will wait as long as I can?

Anonymous User
Posts: 341854
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a few offers but am still waiting on my top choice firm. (It's my top choice because It's looking to hire in a practice area I really want to work in, and the partner in charge of that group was very enthusiastic about me joining the group.) should I send a follow up letting them know that I have other offers (one is about to expire in a week) but will wait as long as I can?


YES... get this done today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 341854
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:54 am

OP here; does it make a difference if the callback was ~ 1 week ago? (Tuesday last week) I'm worried about sounding like I'm rushing them, but one of my other offer will expire soon, and it is my second choice

sandiego222

Bronze
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby sandiego222 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here; does it make a difference if the callback was ~ 1 week ago? (Tuesday last week) I'm worried about sounding like I'm rushing them, but one of my other offer will expire soon, and it is my second choice


Why not check with the second choice firm to see if they can extend your deadline? Worst case they say no

itbdvorm

Gold
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a few offers but am still waiting on my top choice firm. (It's my top choice because It's looking to hire in a practice area I really want to work in, and the partner in charge of that group was very enthusiastic about me joining the group.) should I send a follow up letting them know that I have other offers (one is about to expire in a week) but will wait as long as I can?


YES... get this done today.


+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 341854
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:26 pm

OP again. Thanks for the advice. I called my second choice firm and got a one-week extension. Now I have ~ 2 weeks. Should I still email my first choice firm?

mvp99

Silver
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby mvp99 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:20 pm

YES. Especially if the other offer is from a well regarded firm. Be prepare to accept on the spot. Be polite and let them know they are your first choice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 341854
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:22 pm

mvp99 wrote:YES. Especially if the other offer is from a well regarded firm. Be prepare to accept on the spot. Be polite and let them know they are your first choice.



Thank you. I just emailed the partner to let him know I prefer them due to my practice area interests. They're both very good firms -- they're peer firms -- it's just that one has a stronger xyz practice than the other.

Anonymous User
Posts: 341854
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Yes, like dating being in demand is a good thing. Unlike in dating, it's not crude to specifically state you have other options but prefer them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 341854
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:YES. Especially if the other offer is from a well regarded firm. Be prepare to accept on the spot. Be polite and let them know they are your first choice.



Thank you. I just emailed the partner to let him know I prefer them due to my practice area interests. They're both very good firms -- they're peer firms -- it's just that one has a stronger xyz practice than the other.


You should have emailed the recruiting coordinator...in fact, you should have CALLED the recruiting coordinator.

Anonymous User
Posts: 341854
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:YES. Especially if the other offer is from a well regarded firm. Be prepare to accept on the spot. Be polite and let them know they are your first choice.



Thank you. I just emailed the partner to let him know I prefer them due to my practice area interests. They're both very good firms -- they're peer firms -- it's just that one has a stronger xyz practice than the other.


You should have emailed the recruiting coordinator...in fact, you should have CALLED the recruiting coordinator.


the reason i picked the partner is because the partner sent me an email last week to check in on my thoughts about the firm and to see if i have any questions. the partner seems very enthusiastic; i hope i didn't make a mistake by bothering said partner with an email.

TooOld4This

Silver
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby TooOld4This » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:37 pm

I'll never understand law student logic. I could:

A) Use the fact that I have another offer to let a firm I want an offer from know that they are my first choice and not because I'm desperate (because I have other offers)

B) Tell the firm I have an offer with that they are my consolation prize by asking for an extension. And I should be as obvious about it as possible by going through a partner that could have meaningful input into things that impact my future job, rather HR, who deals with this sort of thing everyday.

Yes! Option B is clearly the best first course of action to maximize my chances of getting an offer from the firm I want without creating any risk at the firm I may actually be stuck working for! :roll:

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17148
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:43 pm

TooOld4This wrote:I'll never understand law student logic. I could:

A) Use the fact that I have another offer to let a firm I want an offer from know that they are my first choice and not because I'm desperate (because I have other offers)

B) Tell the firm I have an offer with that they are my consolation prize by asking for an extension. And I should be as obvious about it as possible by going through a partner that could have meaningful input into things that impact my future job, rather HR, who deals with this sort of thing everyday.

Yes! Option B is clearly the best first course of action to maximize my chances of getting an offer from the firm I want without creating any risk at the firm I may actually be stuck working for! :roll:

I'm pretty sure the partner he contacted is at the firm he prefers. Calm down.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


TooOld4This

Silver
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby TooOld4This » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:I'll never understand law student logic. I could:

A) Use the fact that I have another offer to let a firm I want an offer from know that they are my first choice and not because I'm desperate (because I have other offers)

B) Tell the firm I have an offer with that they are my consolation prize by asking for an extension. And I should be as obvious about it as possible by going through a partner that could have meaningful input into things that impact my future job, rather HR, who deals with this sort of thing everyday.

Yes! Option B is clearly the best first course of action to maximize my chances of getting an offer from the firm I want without creating any risk at the firm I may actually be stuck working for! :roll:

I'm pretty sure the partner he contacted is at the firm he prefers. Calm down.

My bad if that's the case. I read that as he contacted the parter at the second choice firm. Weird that he would have gotten follow up from the parter of a firm that hasn't offered him.

If OP followed up with the parter at the first choice and let them know about the deadline, then congrats. You did the right thing. No need to go through HR if you had a connection with a partner. HR is first choice for squirley stuff like extensions. Partners you have a connection with are a clear choice for expressing interest because of an expiring offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 341854
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let first choice firm know of other offers expiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:59 pm

Lol, omg no. I most definitely followed up with a partner at my FIRST choice firm... though the idea that someone would do it the other way around is funny.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...




Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.