What is Chicago market known for?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What is Chicago market known for?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:15 pm

DELG wrote:if you got your answer, wtf do you care if the conversation naturally flows in other directions, you pinhead

why do people HATE it when threads they start, but no longer have any use for, address some other topic

Anonymous User wrote:I figured I would try to salvage it in the event someone had something useful to say.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I saw Sprayregen/K&E Chicago/restructuring as more of a Lauria/W&C Miami/Chs 11 and 15 analogue, i.e. a satellite serving NY rather than a standalone practice. My bad.

K&E Chicago isn't a satellite of K&E NY. Even when it comes to restructuring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:K&E Chicago isn't a satellite of K&E NY.

Well obviously.

Anonymous User wrote: Even when it comes to restructuring.

Anonymous User wrote:My bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I guess I saw Sprayregen/K&E Chicago/restructuring as more of a Lauria/W&C Miami/Chs 11 and 15 analogue, i.e. a satellite serving NY rather than a standalone practice. My bad.

TBF it looks a lot like one on certain cases, and the # of cases that work like that will only grow now that N.D. Ill. is a disfavored district for debtors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

TBF it looks a lot like one on certain cases, and the # of cases that work like that will only grow now that N.D. Ill. is a disfavored district for debtors.

This is almost as bad as the Schulte meme. No, you don't need to be physically located in the jurisdiction in which you're filing, and no, Chicago restructuring practices are not really trending down. If anything, Chicago has increased in importance in recent years as Weil's influence has waned.

What year are you? I'm sort of gobsmacked that someone could advertise themself as a bankruptcy lawyer on this forum and then go off spouting nonsense like "Chicago is doomed!" I do not work in Chicago, have no affiliation with a firm that does work in Chicago, but it just chaps my ass that people go on and spray this nonsense out there and there's probably some kid with an offer from K&E Chicago who wants to do restructuring who sees your posts and thinks "oh no, do I have to go to NY?". No, kid, you don't. Chicago is a fine place to be a restructuring lawyer. K&E, Skadden, Sidley (who just had a big role in OSG) et al have excellent practices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is almost as bad as the Schulte meme. No, you don't need to be physically located in the jurisdiction in which you're filing, and no, Chicago restructuring practices are not really trending down. If anything, Chicago has increased in importance in recent years as Weil's influence has waned.

What year are you? I'm sort of gobsmacked that someone could advertise themself as a bankruptcy lawyer on this forum and then go off spouting nonsense like "Chicago is doomed!" I do not work in Chicago, have no affiliation with a firm that does work in Chicago, but it just chaps my ass that people go on and spray this nonsense out there and there's probably some kid with an offer from K&E Chicago who wants to do restructuring who sees your posts and thinks "oh no, do I have to go to NY?". No, kid, you don't. Chicago is a fine place to be a restructuring lawyer. K&E, Skadden, Sidley (who just had a big role in OSG) et al have excellent practices.

Dallas is a fine place to be a restructuring lawyer too, and no one said Chicago is "doomed." But it's fading as a "bankruptcy center." And I do have both Chicago and NY affiliations. Weird that you would think your lack of insider info on Chicago restructuring groups somehow puts you in a better place to say how things are trending.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm sort of gobsmacked that someone could advertise themself as a bankruptcy lawyer on this forum and then go off spouting nonsense like "Chicago is doomed!" I do not work in Chicago, have no affiliation with a firm that does work in Chicago, but it just chaps my ass that people go on and spray this nonsense out there and there's probably some kid with an offer from K&E Chicago who wants to do restructuring who sees your posts and thinks "oh no, do I have to go to NY?". No, kid, you don't. Chicago is a fine place to be a restructuring lawyer. K&E, Skadden, Sidley (who just had a big role in OSG) et al have excellent practices.

Preach.

charliekelly33

New

Postby charliekelly33 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:49 am

The cold

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dallas is a fine place to be a restructuring lawyer too, and no one said Chicago is "doomed." But it's fading as a "bankruptcy center." And I do have both Chicago and NY affiliations. Weird that you would think your lack of insider info on Chicago restructuring groups somehow puts you in a better place to say how things are trending.

Jones Day first year, eh? Tell Greg Gordon hi for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Postby B.B. Homemaker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:59 am

This is an interesting pissing contest. All we need now is for OP to come in and slap everyone back on-topic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment�