Skadden v. STB v. DPW Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Firm

Skadden
28%
STB
34%
DPW
38%

Total votes: 29

Anonymous User

Skadden v. STB v. DPW

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:46 am

There are a few threads on this, but wanted to get some input. Choosing between these three. Leaning corporate but would want to hedge and leave open the chance at lit. No particular preference on specific corporate area but have thought that M&A would be mildly interesting (even if it's a little insane). Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden v. STB v. DPW

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:45 am

Assuming these are all NY, I had the identical top three choices and I picked Skadden based on culture and fit. Also helps Skadden's M&A is absolute gangbusters. This isn't significant difference, however, and you should just go with your gut. I know that's vague but you are looking at the most elite firms and can't go wrong no matter what.

v5junior

Bronze

Post by v5junior » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:53 am

You're not going to be able to identify a meaningful difference in quality here.

At this point, relevant factors include:
- Gut
- Office location (and I wouldn't hate too much on Skadden here--gives you flexibility to love wherever you want in NYC, while STB/DPW offices are much more restrictive for easy commutes)
- Office preference (you're going to be spending a lot of time here)
- Rotation structure (small but identifiable differences among the 3)
- Vacation time (amount taken, not merely offered)
Etc.

These things seem small, but they are more or less the only things you can control at this point. Quality of work/anything else these polls are usually designed to elicit will not change among these firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming these are all NY, I had the identical top three choices and I picked Skadden based on culture and fit. Also helps Skadden's M&A is absolute gangbusters. This isn't significant difference, however, and you should just go with your gut. I know that's vague but you are looking at the most elite firms and can't go wrong no matter what.
I think the advice above is on point. I had the same options and went for STB b/c culture and relationship with KKR/Bain/Carylye/etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:45 am

Hey, sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but does this advice hold true with those same firms but in Silicon Valley?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”