Reneg on 1L summer job after signing service agreement Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneg on 1L summer job after signing service agreement

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Accepted a local 1L government position, think DA/PD/City Attorney. Signed and turned in the volunteer service agreement and code of ethics agreement. However, I was recently offered an in house summer position. For this job, they would like me to work at the company not only for the summer, but until I graduate. The last intern they had was hired after graduation. The understanding is that if I do good work I will have a chance to be hired as well. FWIW I will be the only intern in the legal department until I graduate.

Both jobs are in the same market. I have very little interest in crim law/gov't work, instead I would like to eventually do corporate.

Do I reneg on the gov't position despite signing these agreements?

Your advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

northwood

Platinum

Re: Reneg on 1L summer job after signing service agreement

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:57 pm

What does that ethics agreement that you signed and turned in say? You may be committed to working there.

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Someone on another thread recently brought up the fact that schools might ban you from OCI if you backout so definitely double check with them on whether they have that policy. I can't seem to find that thread...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:05 pm

OP here. Ethics agreement essentially says maintain high standards of integrity/keep info confidential...Service agreement pretty much says you understand your work schedule and that work can be terminated at any time..

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:that work can be terminated at any time..

Generally by either party.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Oh. My. God. Do not hesitate for one second to renege. Even one second is far too long. This agency will care so fucking little whether you carry through with your commitment, and they have time to find ten thousand people to replace you before the summer. In addition to that the in-house job seems far more in line with your goals and offers the possibility of post-grad employment. Please for the love of God do not make the wrong decision based on a sense of obligation which absolutely will not be reciprocated in any way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 pm

champ33 wrote:Oh. My. God. Do not hesitate for one second to renege. Even one second is far too long. This agency will care so fucking little whether you carry through with your commitment, and they have time to find ten thousand people to replace you before the summer. In addition to that the in-house job seems far more in line with your goals and offers the possibility of post-grad employment. Please for the love of God do not make the wrong decision based on a sense of obligation which absolutely will not be reciprocated in any way.
OP here. This is exactly what I was thinking. If I had not signed any agreement I would reneg in a heart beat. However, signing these agreements has made me worried that some larger consequence could come about from all this versus just coming across as being rude... Thoughts?

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:14 am

I really wouldn't worry about the agreements. Like you said, they talk about work hours, termination, but no strong language about reneging - even if they did I would renege. I guess you might try approaching the subject with them delicately, explain what you are thinking, etc. and you can judge their reaction. I doubt they are going to want to have you around all summer if you don't want to be there, and they will more than likely be understanding and not want you to waste your time either. Even if they are unhappy about it, given that you have no interest in this work anyway any bridges you burn will do minimal damage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:22 am

If you really want to be cautious, check with your CSO. I went through something kind of similar. If you do this, be prepared for them to tell you "no" though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you really want to be cautious, check with your CSO. I went through something kind of similar. If you do this, be prepared for them to tell you "no" though.
OP. I'm almost positive my CSO would tell me not to reneg. I know that they do not ban people from OCI for reneging however. Ultimately, I'm set on reneging, however I'm just paranoid that because I signed these agreements, the gov't org. can/will take some sort of legal action against me for backing out. Again, this might be extreme, but I'm just looking at the worst case scenario...

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you really want to be cautious, check with your CSO. I went through something kind of similar. If you do this, be prepared for them to tell you "no" though.
OP. I'm almost positive my CSO would tell me not to reneg. I know that they do not ban people from OCI for reneging however. Ultimately, I'm set on reneging, however I'm just paranoid that because I signed these agreements, the gov't org. can/will take some sort of legal action against me for backing out. Again, this might be extreme, but I'm just looking at the worst case scenario...
The likelihood of that happening is next to zero. You really think a government agency would spend the time, money, and resources to persecute a volunteer 1L intern?

I think the worst case scenario is that you miff some people a little bit and burned a few bridges. But I'm sure they will fully understand. And if they don't, who cares?

Do what is best for you. The legal market is very, very bad right now and you need to put yourself above and beyond everyone else at all times.

treeey86

Bronze

Post by treeey86 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:19 pm

2nd year attorney (in-house attorney) here who faced same situation during law school.

I would reneg. Don't look back. Don't bother reporting to CSO about it at all. If the agency reports it to CSO so be it. Otherwise go for the job that has potential beyond the 1 summer in the area of law you have actual interest in. If you don't care about government work likely you will not ever run into those people again regardless of how small the legal community is. You have not even started the work yet they have plenty of time to find replacements. They understand these things happen. There will be no hard feelings. Best to do it soon though to give the agency as much time as needed to find a replacement.

anonymous2012

New

Post by anonymous2012 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:15 pm

In your reneg letter stress that you will be paid this summer and presumably in the future. Say it would alleviate a financial burden.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dead head

Bronze

Post by dead head » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:12 pm

champ33 wrote:Oh. My. God. Do not hesitate for one second to renege.
I just want to applaud you on two things: 1) being the only person in this thread who is able to correctly spell 'renege'; and 2) giving good advice. Mainly #1, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 pm

dead head wrote:
champ33 wrote:Oh. My. God. Do not hesitate for one second to renege.
I just want to applaud you on two things: 1) being the only person in this thread who is able to correctly spell 'renege'; and 2) giving good advice. Mainly #1, though.
Thank you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”