(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:42 pm

I have a lousy undergrad GPA and no meaningful work experience, although I did work for two years post-college. I did better than I expected this term (at a T10) and am a URM. My advisor/professor brought up clerking and the need to start planning now. While I'd love to try to do it if my grades pan out, I don't know if my undergrad GPA takes me out of the running. I know I should my have asked my advisor, but, to be honest, I'm a bit embarrassed about it. (I'd love to know how firms generally deal with this as well.) Thanks, everyone!

Re: UGPA/Clerking

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Some judges will care, some won't. Having the right grades from your school to be competitive to clerk will outweigh your UGPA and it won't stop you from clerking if you want to.

I can count on one hand the firms that will even ask for undergrad grades (except for patent prosecution positions).

Re: UGPA/Clerking

Postby apparentlynew » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:14 pm

A good number of judges don't even ask for your UG transcript. Don't know how much UGPA counts among those judges that do ask for it, but I'm sure it varies immensely. Point being: if you want to clerk, apply. Your clerkship office may have an idea of which judges care more about UGPA.

Return to “Legal Employment”