1L "Summer Internships" (not 1L SA's) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L "Summer Internships" (not 1L SA's)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:30 am

A few of the offices of biglaw firms that I am interest in (mainly overseas) offer what they deem as "Summer Internships," but they specifically mention that they do not usually hire from these programs, and many of them are unpaid. How will these be viewed during 2L summer OCI by employers? Is it the equivalent of a 1L SA as far as the work content goes, or are these viewed almost like a paralegal job before coming to law school? (I am cool with the no pay aspect because I'd rather do one of these gigs with no pay than do something else with little-to-no pay over the summer; I am just worried about the implications of such a position during OCI.)

Cicero76

Silver

Re: 1L "Summer Internships" (not 1L SA's)

Post by Cicero76 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:34 am

It seems preposterous to me that a for profit law firm could offer unpaid "internships." If that's even legal, which I doubt, it's beyond scummy and you shouldn't work for them.

apartius

New

Post by apartius » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:37 am

Cicero76 wrote:It seems preposterous to me that a for profit law firm could offer unpaid "internships." If that's even legal, which I doubt, it's beyond scummy and you shouldn't work for them.
+1

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:16 am

If they're overseas, it might not be illegal there to offer these kinds of internships (though I totally agree that for-profit entities should pay their labor).

OP, as long as the position involves legal work (or can be spun as involving legal work), you'll be fine. You'll probably get more helpful information if you name some of the firms or at least where overseas, though, since I don't think anyone here can generalize just based on the label "internship."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”