Employer asked for Class Rank

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Employer asked for Class Rank

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Summerz wrote:I suppose s/he cannot claim that the school doesn’t issue a class ranking… given that the next applicant from the school might provide their class ranking…resulting in being busted for being untruthful. So the OP is stuck, eh?

My School's CSO will provide a "No Rank Letter" to give to employers. I imagine other schools will do that as well.

Postby salcmh » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 pm

My school does give us a xx/250 ranking, and mine is not very appealing. I think you all are right. I am stuck. I guess I'll put it on there and keep looking for a job.

Postby Liam » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:08 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Nelson wrote:
guano wrote:
Summerz wrote:So, aside from HYS, if you are at a t14 and have a scattering of b+, a-, etc., the firms somehow manage to estimate your class ranking? I can only assume that this might be the case given that some of the t14 threads are peppered with students exiting 2/3L without securing an offer.

No. Most T14s give out class rank.
At the schools that don't give class rank (Y, S, B, who else?) the firms know how to estimate roughly what the class rank is

The reason there are students exiting 2/3L without offers is because there aren't enough jobs to go round
NYU, Columbia, and Penn (and probably more but those are the ones I know of with grades but not GPAs) don't disclose class rank to students or employers and won't let you give a GPA.

Edit: sniped by DF

Yup. Cornell, Duke, and NU don't release rankings either.

Georgetown provides ranking cutoffs for top 10, top 15, and top third, but does not provide individual class rankings.

Postby AnotherYearOlder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 am

salcmh wrote:I'm a '13 grad and still have no job :roll: . I have an interview with a biglaw firm coming up (this is a miracle), and they asked for my class rank. They want me to include it on an updated copy of my resume before I come in. I have my GPA on my resume, as it's not terrible and it is above 3.0. But I was in the bottom half of my class. I'm not sure how to phrase it on my resume, and I don't want to leave it out since they specifically asked for it. What should I do? Write bottom 50% and try to explain when I get there??

They already know it's not great, otherwise you would have included it. Just be straight with them and kick ass in the interview. They like something about you, which is why they're still pursuing you. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”