Lateral attorney - bar study - how long did you take off? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How long should I take off to study?

1 week
No votes
2 weeks
38%
3 weeks
No votes
4 weeks
13%
5 weeks
No votes
6 weeks
50%

Total votes: 8

Anonymous User

Lateral attorney - bar study - how long did you take off?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:15 am

Hi all - are there any other lateral attorneys on here who had to take a second bar? And if so, how long did you take off to study? In particular, would love to hear from biglaw attorneys. I could do a max of 6 weeks, but I feel like that's too long...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral attorney - bar study - how long did you take off?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:12 pm

Different firms offer different packages. My firm gave me a month and I took all of it.

If you feel like you need longer to study, and they're giving you longer, I'd take it. Pretty bad form to fail that second bar at your second firm. I'd also recommend studying and pacing yourself at least as much as one-two months earlier. That way you're not cramming at the end.

I consistently put in 3 hours a day for around two months, and then around 6 hours a day for the last week, and passed (and the bar I took is considered "difficult").

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:14 pm

a lot of this depends on your study time prior to taking off. the previous anon seems to have it right

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:36 pm

If you can do six weeks, do six weeks. Especially if you're talking about California, which you probably are. There is literally no downside to taking the full amount of time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:02 pm

I lateraled from CA to NY this past year. I started studying at the beginning of June for the July NY bar. I only took the two weeks immediately before the exam off, but I was also on a reduced caseload in June and July so I could study nights and weekends as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”