Average engineering program to IP law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
target

Silver

Average engineering program to IP law?

Post by target » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi all,

A kid I mentor is studying engineering at an average engineering program (USN ~40-50). He asked me if he apply to and attend law school, will IP firm care whether his engineering degree is not from a top program. I told him that is not what I experienced in life science IP but had no ideas about engineering IP and would check. Any 2Ls or 3Ls who have gone through OCI or Loyola have any ideas?

chem

Silver

Re: Average engineering program to IP law?

Post by chem » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:45 pm

target wrote:Hi all,

A kid I mentor is studying engineering at an average engineering program (USN ~40-50). He asked me if he apply to and attend law school, will IP firm care whether his engineering degree is not from a top program. I told him that is not what I experienced in life science IP but had no ideas about engineering IP and would check. Any 2Ls or 3Ls who have gone through OCI or Loyola have any ideas?
Lit won't care at all. Pros will rarely care, but they will care about your undergrad grades.

He certainly won't be hurt by where he went to get his engineering degree.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Law school grades and what the actual degree is in (i.e. electrical engineering is much more desirable than architectural engineering or whatever) are much more important than the ranking of the undergrad school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Law school grades and what the actual degree is in (i.e. electrical engineering is much more desirable than architectural engineering or whatever) are much more important than the ranking of the undergrad school.
Additionally, a lot of pros firms care about your undergraduate GPA. Latin honors in undergrad will help you score some pros jobs if you have a desirable degree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:07 am

IP boutiques and big firms with top IP practices care more about the quality of your undergrad than other firms. But certainly the subject area is the most important thing. A bachelors isn't terribly valuable unless it's in EE, CS, or maybe Physics.

target

Silver

Post by target » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:24 pm

thanks guys. I will let him know. He probably got the ideas from recruiters doing on-campus interviews for engineering jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”