Can an Associate be involved in multiple business ventures? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Can an Associate be involved in multiple business ventures?

Post by udonisandtrinity » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:04 pm

I am a 3L who secured a job at a boutique firm in their corporate and securities practice. All throughout law school, I've been the sole managing member of a profitable LLC and I don't intend to dissolve this entity any time soon. I'm also involved as a member of another LLC that is a tech-startup (we just raised 4.5mm). No conflict between the two LLCs, however, as a practicing attorney, am I allowed to have an active role in different businesses while working for a limited liability partnership? The firm knows about it and it's really the reason they hired me, so I guess it is fine to continue working on these side businesses ventures while grinding as an associate?

Liam

New

Re: Can an Associate be involved in multiple business ventures?

Post by Liam » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:26 pm

There is nothing presumptively unethical about being involved with business ventures outside of your firm—plenty of attorneys serve on the board of directors for Fortune 500 companies (Shill Alert: the Georgetown Law Journal actually has a forthcoming piece about this). Assuming the firm is aware that you plan to continue your involvement, the only problems are with potential conflicts if your firm takes work from competitors.

udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Post by udonisandtrinity » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Thank you.

Do you mind messaging me or replying to this thread when that article is published?

Liam

New

Post by Liam » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:03 pm

There is already a URL carved out for it here, although the piece is focused more on the characteristics of what companies tend to have lawyer-directors, and which benefit the most from lawyer-directors, than on the ethical issues of being a lawyer-director.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”