Working during winter break

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working during winter break

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi, everyone, 2L here. I'm posting anonymously because my username has potentially identifying information.

Not that this is a super sensitive question, but what are your experiences working during winter break? The firm at which I work kept me after this past summer, and I have been working part-time pursuant to the 20-hour rule. They have told me they are keeping me for the spring semester. The 20-hour rule is apparently only for those weeks in which you are enrolled in (which I read as "taking") a full-time load of classes. Do students in this position generally try to work full-time, or close to it, or do they use winter break as a break, and maintain the part-time schedule?

EDIT: winter break at my school is about a month long, mid-December to mid-January.

Thank you.

Re: Working during winter break

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:44 pm

I would say it depends on the firm and your exact particular situation. IF you are not taking any classes, and your boss wants you to work full time, work full time. If you are taking classes over break, then schedule your work accordingly. Personally, id bring this to your bosses attention and do what they think is best.

Return to “Legal Employment”