Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Student loan payments: Actual numbers

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:06 pm

I thought it might be a good idea to update some of my student loan payment info a year and a half later (even though I had trouble locating my original post, since anon):

2013 Grad
Starting Debt: about $151,000
Current Debt: about $140,000 + car loan of $18,000
Payments: about 1300/month, soon to be more
Income: ~$70k
Plan: About a year ago I refinance my grad plus loans and made a critical error.
I always knew I wanted to be in gov't, but assumed I would never get it. But I was always applying and finally did a couple of months ago. However, in regards to loans, I didn't research enough and realized now, that I am in a PSLF job, that the loan I refinanced does not count towards IBR. So I don't qualify for IBR which basically makes the ten year forgiveness out of the picture. So now I am refinancing both for better rates and have a 6 year goal, and about to throw everything into them.
Bonus: I live with my SO, and he currently is paying the rent and intends to take over my car payment when his is done so that I can throw everything towards these loans.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I thought it might be a good idea to update some of my student loan payment info a year and a half later (even though I had trouble locating my original post, since anon):

2013 Grad
Plan: About a year ago I refinance my grad plus loans and made a critical error.
I always knew I wanted to be in gov't, but assumed I would never get it. But I was always applying and finally did a couple of months ago. However, in regards to loans, I didn't research enough and realized now, that I am in a PSLF job, that the loan I refinanced does not count towards IBR. So I don't qualify for IBR which basically makes the ten year forgiveness out of the picture. So now I am refinancing both for better rates and have a 6 year goal, and about to throw everything into them.
Bonus: I live with my SO, and he currently is paying the rent and intends to take over my car payment when his is done so that I can throw everything towards these loans.
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. That's definitely my big fear with refinancing. While I have no particular goal to work for the feds, people move around a lot between private practice and fed work in my practice area, so it seems like a realistic possibility and I don't want to lose the PSLF option.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I thought it might be a good idea to update some of my student loan payment info a year and a half later (even though I had trouble locating my original post, since anon):

2013 Grad
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. That's definitely my big fear with refinancing. While I have no particular goal to work for the feds, people move around a lot between private practice and fed work in my practice area, so it seems like a realistic possibility and I don't want to lose the PSLF option.

This is exactly why I wanted to post this. I got impatient with my interest payments every month so I quickly refinanced. Cannot really regret the decision since it is long done, I just wanted to shed some light on the risks of refinancing/not believing in yourself.

Its a difficult market but I eventually landed the job I wanted, but as a result my impatience is going to cost me some serious money.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:46 pm

JenDarby wrote:LOL at us for living in a place where a $1500 1 br with a 2 hour daily commute is a good deal.
And to think I was griping to myself about $1500 for a 2br that's 25 minutes from work...

Texas master race reporting in.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:39 am

Is anyone anticipating to use Public Service Loan Forgiveness and, if so, which payment option is best?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjohnsobf

New

Post by bjohnsobf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:12 am

Yes, Pay As You Earn is the best repayment option.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:52 am

Does anyone know when those of us who had loans prior to the current cut off date for PAYE be able to use it? I read somewhere that even we will be PAYE eligible at some point this year or next but I can't remember the exact details.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Stevoman wrote:
JenDarby wrote:LOL at us for living in a place where a $1500 1 br with a 2 hour daily commute is a good deal.
And to think I was griping to myself about $1500 for a 2br that's 25 minutes from work...

and Texas is big enough for everyone who hates NY and/or thinks it's not worth it to live there

JAYINSD

New

Post by JAYINSD » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
Stevoman wrote:

and Texas is big enough for everyone who hates NY and/or thinks it's not worth it to live there
Nah, Houston market is already starting to tumble, we will see how it goes in the next few years

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Recently closed my DRB refi.

Pros
  • I love that they gave me a rate under 2.5% variable with a ~750 credit score and nearly six figures of loans.
  • I love that my loans are consolidated
  • Customer support has been good -- every time I call, I get a human very fast.
Cons
  • Both the online application and the online accounts are really unwieldy. This isn't a huge con but it does take more time and hassle to figure out the site's layout.
  • They only message you through this weird email inbox you have to create an account for... somehow my account wound up in Spanish, and I never bothered to fix that. Again, not a big deal, but it's a hassle having to sign in to this crappy Windows 98-esque inbox just to communicate about my application.
  • No support system of SoFi or CommonBond.
Overall, I'd definitely recommend it, but most of all, I'd recommend rate shopping between SoFi, CommonBond and DRB -- they each have their own underwriting formulas. I think DRB was able to offer me the lowest rate because they don't use your monthly rent as part of the equation, which helps me as someone paying NYC COL. But YMMV. You can also call up each of the three to tell them that another lender has beaten their rate, although I didn't have much luck with this (still worth a shot).

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:39 pm

JAYINSD wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
Stevoman wrote:

Nah, Houston market is already starting to tumble, we will see how it goes in the next few years
Houston is not booming as crazy as it was in previous years, mostly thanks to depressed oil markets, but it is hardly in a "tumble." Still head and shoulders above many other markets in the nation. And Dallas is also still very strong, but good luck breaking in there if you didn't go to SMU/UT/Baylor.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:26 am

I refi'd my student loans with SOFI about a year ago and had a great experience.

This week, I closed my first home purchase and used SOFI as the lender (they recently received approval for mortgages in my state). 30 year fixed, 10% down, no PMI, no origination fees, ~4.3% rate with no points. Very easy to work with and overall an excellent experience.

I am a satisfied customer.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:32 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:I refi'd my student loans with SOFI about a year ago and had a great experience.

This week, I closed my first home purchase and used SOFI as the lender (they recently received approval for mortgages in my state). 30 year fixed, 10% down, no PMI, no origination fees, ~4.3% rate with no points. Very easy to work with and overall an excellent experience.

I am a satisfied customer.
yeah i was very close to using SoFi for my home but they had weird rules about new construction (as most lenders do). Congrats on the new home (and 10%, which is super hard to find IMO).

i used citi private bank and got 15% down, 3.2% interest and they didn't pull my credit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:48 am

2015 grad.

Debt: 70k
Salary: 145k
Other info: Will have around 15k in savings before I start work. About to be engaged. S/O salary is 53k with around 50k of debt.
Plan of action: Try and refinance. I want to pay off my loan ASAP. Low cost of living, won't have car payments until probably Oct. No other serious debt obligations.

How realistic is it to try and pay off in one year? I want to at least make a major dent.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:00 pm

I think it's somewhat reasonable considering I make substantially less and will pay around 26k on my loans this year (potentially more depending on bonus situation). You should in the very least be able to make a huge dent.

Definitely refinance ASAP. There's bo reason to let any more interest accrue at those higher rates.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2015 grad.

Debt: 70k
Salary: 145k
Other info: Will have around 15k in savings before I start work. About to be engaged. S/O salary is 53k with around 50k of debt.
Plan of action: Try and refinance. I want to pay off my loan ASAP. Low cost of living, won't have car payments until probably Oct. No other serious debt obligations.

How realistic is it to try and pay off in one year? I want to at least make a major dent.
Yeah that's pretty reasonable. I've saved like 60k+ in less than a year of biglaw. I'd throw the 15k at the loan. Refinancing really may not be worth it if you are paying off aggressively on the loan. I think you'll prolly save a couple hundred bucks but you should look at the fees for sure. I'm not very debt averse so I would not do this, but if you really want to clear that debt, you should throw your 15k at the balance right now sign up for a 0% APR credit card intro rate and carry a balance on your credit card for the first year of all your living expenses and pay down your debt with that.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Which companies have fees to refinance? CommonBond certainly didn't have any fees.

My debt is higher but I save somewhere north of $400 a month in interest having refinanced.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:23 pm

if there are no fees then rifinance. i dont know anything about that. i just assumed there were fees for refinancing.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:24 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:if there are no fees then rifinance. i dont know anything about that. i just assumed there were fees for refinancing.
Yea I don't think any of the main companies have fees. Sofi and CommonBond even send you occassionally presents.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when those of us who had loans prior to the current cut off date for PAYE be able to use it? I read somewhere that even we will be PAYE eligible at some point this year or next but I can't remember the exact details.

Just bumping this in case no one noticed. Being able to use PAYE as opposed to IBR is a big deal. 10 vs. 15 percent of your AGI in student loan payments.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:56 pm

New thread up about whether you took the full ride at a lower T14 or went for the higher-ranked choice at sticker. Your stories will be appreciated: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=246683

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when those of us who had loans prior to the current cut off date for PAYE be able to use it? I read somewhere that even we will be PAYE eligible at some point this year or next but I can't remember the exact details.

Just bumping this in case no one noticed. Being able to use PAYE as opposed to IBR is a big deal. 10 vs. 15 percent of your AGI in student loan payments.
By the end of 2015 is all I really heard. Not sure a more set in stone date is out yet.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:39 pm

2012 grad still 100k left of 200k

feels like it's never going away

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:46 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:2012 grad still 100k left of 200k

feels like it's never going away
it may only feel like you're halfway there, but based on increased salary and diminishing interest you're probably closer to 3/4 of the way there. keep at it. You should be done by 2016 bonus season if you want to be.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:00 pm

I saw on the news last night that our generation was putting 5% into retirement funds. We start saving around 22 (the previous generation started at 27… they said boomers started at 35). The associates I know who have with no tuition debt are plowing +10% into their retirement (be it 401k, stocks or something else). I have some debt (and I am not particularly frugal) so I am at 7.5%.

After tuition and everything else called life, are most folks here at 5% (or more/less)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”