Law firms and banks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bigbirdfly

New

Law firms and banks

Post by bigbirdfly » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 am

Which law firms have strong historical and current connections with major investment banks? I know that the quintessential Wall Street firm SullCrom has strong connection with Goldman, JPM, etc. Which other firms?

Anonymous User

Re: Law firms and banks

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:59 am

Fried Frank has strong ties with Goldman

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:20 am

The Bault rankings are a good proxy for this

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:46 am

all of them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:37 pm

The answers you have received so far suck.

Because of conflicts of interest and varying specialties, all of the banks use a wide variety of firms for legal services.

Having said that, there are identifiable one-on-one institutional client type relationships.

The two I'm most sure of: Goldman is a major institutional client of Sullivan & Cromwell and Morgan Stanley is a major institutional client of Davis Polk.

I feel like I knew BAML but it's escaping me at the moment, but it was another big name. JPM might also be tied to DPW as closely as MS is, I've heard people refer to DPW and 'the Morgans' in the same breath.

The firms with marquee FIG practices (notable DPW and S&C but there are others) all have a deep roster of financial institution clients. I think DPW and S&C did all of the Dodd-Frank 'living will' work for the SIFIs.

Some of the major NYC players, like Skadden, often to more issuer-side capital markets work while firms like DPW and S&C might be more likely to do underwriter-side work.

Pretty sure Cleary has some as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Liam

New

Post by Liam » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The answers you have received so far suck.

Because of conflicts of interest and varying specialties, all of the banks use a wide variety of firms for legal services.

Having said that, there are identifiable one-on-one institutional client type relationships.

The two I'm most sure of: Goldman is a major institutional client of Sullivan & Cromwell and Morgan Stanley is a major institutional client of Davis Polk.

I feel like I knew BAML but it's escaping me at the moment, but it was another big name. JPM might also be tied to DPW as closely as MS is, I've heard people refer to DPW and 'the Morgans' in the same breath.

The firms with marquee FIG practices (notable DPW and S&C but there are others) all have a deep roster of financial institution clients. I think DPW and S&C did all of the Dodd-Frank 'living will' work for the SIFIs.

Some of the major NYC players, like Skadden, often to more issuer-side capital markets work while firms like DPW and S&C might be more likely to do underwriter-side work.

I have no insight on DPW's relationship with Morgan Stanley, but I do know they get enough JPMorgan work to have a team of support staffers who deal exclusively with the "JPM Shelf."

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:26 pm

goodolgil wrote:all of them
this is actually the right answer (sort of).

the question is what sort of relationship are you talking about?

different firms do different things for different banks. but all of the v10 are going to derive a substantial amount of work from the bulge bracket banks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Liam wrote:I have no insight on DPW's relationship with Morgan Stanley, but I do know they get enough JPMorgan work to have a team of support staffers who deal exclusively with the "JPM Shelf."
DPW does "shelf" work for JPM, MS, Citi, DB, CS, and others - it's a very narrow field in derivatives that few other law firms are involved in, and one reason they do so much is because of their deep roots with financial institutions otherwise.

hamsamitchguy03

New

Post by hamsamitchguy03 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:45 pm

edited for brevity
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Shearman had close ties with ML before they were bought by BoA, not sure who BoA most close with (wachtell?).

Shearman also close with Citi.

But what feels most true is "all the banks use all the firms."

Fujin11

New

Post by Fujin11 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:49 pm

At least historically DPW and JP Morgan have a significant relationship, John W. Davis (founding partner of DPW) was J. P. Morgan Jr.'s lawyer during the congressional hearings that led to the securities acts in the 1930's

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The answers you have received so far suck.

This is the most accurate answer.

GS = Most top firms, S&C with the biggest market share though by no means the only one

JPM = Everyone, I think Cravath has the biggest share?

MS = DPW

ML = Was Shearman & Sterling, but after BoA bought them they lost most of that work.

CS = Pretty sure it's Skadden, since plenty of folks get seconded to CS from there, but I could be wrong.

Not sure about Citi/UBS/DB/Barclays/BoA.

EtherOne

New

Post by EtherOne » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Sherman & Sterling, as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:56 pm

They play baseball in puerto rico.
Last edited by shotsfired12 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wons

Bronze

Post by wons » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:01 am

Everyone uses everyone - folks spread work around. But these are some of the traditional relationhips, many of which have broken down to greater or lesser degrees:

GS - S&C
JPM - Cravath, STB
MS - DPW
Citi - S&S (mostly broken down)
BofA - STB (and BitD, S&S)
DB - W&C (because ex-Bankers Trust)

These relationships generally are the strongest for traditional securities work and M&A. In newer practice areas, things are more mixed up. For example, for high-yield / lev fin, Latham gets the lions share of GS work, and Cahill gets a ton of work from everybody. For DIP financing, DPW is king. Etc.

EDIT: to add that from the above, you can see why S&S's position has eroded so dramatically over the last 20 years. They lost two huge instituional clients AND their public company M&A practice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”