What kind of jobs to apply for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
amk110

New

What kind of jobs to apply for?

Post by amk110 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Greetings everyone:

First, please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong forum. I'm a recent graduate who decided to postpone the bar exam for a semester (planning to take it this coming February) who is unemployed and struggling to find anyone that will hire me. I had assumed it would be relatively easy to secure some type of paralegal or legal assistant work, but am now learning that JDs are apparently blacklisted from these types of positions.

In fact, I'm finding that just about every conceivable job type I can think to apply for to pay the bills and support me while I study for the February bar has a similar policy. It seems most employers are assuming, and rightfully so, that I'll leave as soon as I get my license.

That said, I'm behind three months in my rent and can't afford to feed myself or keep the lights on. I've even put in applications at Target, Best Buy, McD's, and other similar sorts of minimum wage gigs, but haven't had any luck.

My career services office continues to encourage me to apply for legal assistant jobs, and for law clerk jobs typically reserved for current students. I've been doing so, also with no luck.

So now I'm here looking for advice. Can anyone think of a field that will employ an unlicensed law school graduate?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: What kind of jobs to apply for?

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:01 pm

amk110 wrote:Greetings everyone:

First, please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong forum. I'm a recent graduate who decided to postpone the bar exam for a semester (planning to take it this coming February) who is unemployed and struggling to find anyone that will hire me. I had assumed it would be relatively easy to secure some type of paralegal or legal assistant work, but am now learning that JDs are apparently blacklisted from these types of positions.

In fact, I'm finding that just about every conceivable job type I can think to apply for to pay the bills and support me while I study for the February bar has a similar policy. It seems most employers are assuming, and rightfully so, that I'll leave as soon as I get my license.

That said, I'm behind three months in my rent and can't afford to feed myself or keep the lights on. I've even put in applications at Target, Best Buy, McD's, and other similar sorts of minimum wage gigs, but haven't had any luck.

My career services office continues to encourage me to apply for legal assistant jobs, and for law clerk jobs typically reserved for current students. I've been doing so, also with no luck.

So now I'm here looking for advice. Can anyone think of a field that will employ an unlicensed law school graduate?
Not trying to sound like an asshole or anything but did you really not have any plan all through 3L for how to handle being unemployed and for whatever reason not taking the bar? Your best bet at this point would be to either make some contacts with solos or really small firms that may take you as a law clerk or take your JD off your resume and apply to a bunch of stores. If anyone asks say you went to law school but decided it wasn't for you and want to pursue a different career path.

sopranorleone

Bronze

Post by sopranorleone » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:10 pm

amk110 wrote:Can anyone think of a field that will employ an unlicensed law school graduate?
Stripping

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:14 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
amk110 wrote:Can anyone think of a field that will employ an unlicensed law school graduate?
Stripping
Dude, not helpful.

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:29 pm

I would think entry level compliance jobs would a good fit. You just may have to present yourself in a way that you doesn't scream "as soon as I pass the bar I am out of here!"

Also look at self-regulatory organization jobs. I know FINRA often has analyst jobs that don't require you to be a JD, but a lot of times you will see JDs working in those positions because they are somewhat legal in nature.

Finally I would consider customer service or support positions with service providers to the legal industry. LexisNexis sometimes has call center jobs available that don't require you to have passed the bar. I am sure westlaw & bloomberg and even barbri may have similar positions. Most of these jobs will be looking for someone who wants to stay long-term. But even after taking the bar you will have to wait months so these type of positions may be a good fit.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:38 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

Not trying to sound like an asshole or anything but did you really not have any plan all through 3L for how to handle being unemployed and for whatever reason not taking the bar? Your best bet at this point would be to either make some contacts with solos or really small firms that may take you as a law clerk or take your JD off your resume and apply to a bunch of stores. If anyone asks say you went to law school but decided it wasn't for you and want to pursue a different career path.
Yeah this

thirtyandseven

New

Post by thirtyandseven » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:04 pm

How about political campaigns and/or political public interest orgs? From what I understand, they generally like to see the JD even if you're not doing much actual legal work. Obviously not a lucrative career, but it could be what you're looking for to keep the lights on until you pass the bar and find something else.

bellevie86

New

Post by bellevie86 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:52 am

BarbellDreams wrote:

Kind of an ass

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”