No offers Fordham OCI, What should I do to avoid poverty? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No offers Fordham OCI, What should I do to avoid poverty?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey man I feel ya. Gave up a full ride at Hofstra to transfer to Gtown and struck out at OCI. I am feeling like I should have stayed put and just become an ADA debt free...
I get that, too. Gave up full rides for a better school and better shot at jobs. Struck out, now one of the markets I'm targeting is one where a school with a full ride I passed by dominates. That's depressing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:25 am

My 2 Cents Worth to Bronx Bum:

Don't know if you're aware, but
1) PI jobs at any level are really hard because of gov't cutbacks. That's why sending anything to the NYC Law Dept is like a black hole. Likewise for NYSOAG, SEC, Fed. etc. It's crazy, but you almost have to be higher-ranked to get a respectable PI job than BigLaw.

2) Unless you score a 4.0 GPA both semesters of your 2L year, you're not going to BigLaw, or midlaw (which, because of their small class sizes, are even more selective). Only the top 28% percent of Fordham go anywhere in the private sector.

3) Now that you know you can't work for Big/MidLaw, and can't do PI, what's left is little shitty law firms that work you just as many hours as BigMidLaw, but pay you $40k-$65k.

With #1-#3, all you need to decide if whether you're willing to accept your pre-determined career track while making less money than a cabbie/waiter/subway-conductor/hotel-bathroom-attendant.

Lastly, it's easier if you consider that $160k that co9uld have been invested toward your house. In effect, you qualify for $160k less of a mortgage, meaning that you have decades to explain to your nagging spouse why you live in a shithole.

the blunt truth: Drop out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:27 pm

btw, as far a dropping out, you're already committed because Fordham is a money-whore. Their primary motigvation is to suck your money. Convincing them to give any of it back is going to be hard because they're not gonna pull it our of their ass easily.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My 2 Cents Worth to Bronx Bum:

1) PI jobs at any level are really hard because of gov't cutbacks. That's why sending anything to the NYC Law Dept is like a black hole. Likewise for NYSOAG, SEC, Fed. etc. It's crazy, but you almost have to be higher-ranked to get a respectable PI job than BigLaw.

2) Unless you score a 4.0 GPA both semesters of your 2L year, you're not going to BigLaw, or midlaw (which, because of their small class sizes, are even more selective). Only the top 28% percent of Fordham go anywhere in the private sector.

3) Now that you know you can't work for Big/MidLaw, and can't do PI, what's left is little shitty law firms that work you just as many hours as BigMidLaw, but pay you $40k-$65k.

With #1-#3, all you need to decide if whether you're willing to accept your pre-determined career track while making less money than a cabbie/waiter/subway-conductor/hotel-bathroom-attendant.

Lastly, it's easier if you consider that $160k that co9uld have been invested toward your house. In effect, you qualify for $160k less of a mortgage, meaning that you have decades to explain to your nagging spouse why you live in a shithole.

Brother, why are you posting this as if you're arguing with me? I'm the guy who told the OP to drop out. I didn't drop out and I now am in a worse situation than a janitor. I'm actually trying to get the word out with this on TLS as far as Fordham because a few years ago there were people who I like to call "The Fordham Crusaders" who rushed into every thread and called anyone who spoke out against Fordham "lunatics" and tried to get them banned.

Those people seem to be MIA now. There will always be someone from Fordham who says "Well I got Biglaw! You just have to try hard!" and their parents paid their way through/they had a connection. For the majority of Fordham people who took out loans to pay, going to Fordham is something that can ruin your life. It's ruined mine. I would do anything to have a time machine and become a cop or even a janitor (hell, maybe start my own business).

This is nothing against Fordham. I think Vice Dean F and MM are two genuine people who are doing all they possibly can to help us. In fact, if it wasn't for Dean F, I wouldn't have graduated because of a registrar mishap. I love the staff, and the adjuncts, etc.

But Fordham is a weird school. I was originally waitlisted to the part time program with a 164/3.9. Then I retook late and got a 168. I was accepted to the full time with no money. I could have taken the $ and gone to a lesser school. I wouldn't have gotten into Cornell that year because of the late retake (believe it or not, it might not have been a slam dunk with my numbers regular admission). So I was stuck in that middle area.

Fordham is filled with a ton of relatively smart people, in the center of the universe (NYC), with professors telling all of us we're going to "make it", but sometimes you need a nudge and you need someone to remind you that your loans are accruing $40 a day.

For no reason other than the debt, people without biglaw/PI need to drop out.

Sorry for ramble--on phone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:34 pm

To OP:

If you are dead set on biglaw, switch to part-time and you get another bite at the apple next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:02 pm

to op:

i don't think you have much of a chance at fordham oci, which is to say, at biglaw. if money is an issue, drop out.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:

Brother, why are you posting this as if you're arguing with me? I'm the guy who told the OP to drop out. I didn't drop out and I now am in a worse situation than a janitor. I'm actually trying to get the word out with this on TLS as far as Fordham because a few years ago there were people who I like to call "The Fordham Crusaders" who rushed into every thread and called anyone who spoke out against Fordham "lunatics" and tried to get them banned.

Those people seem to be MIA now. There will always be someone from Fordham who says "Well I got Biglaw! You just have to try hard!" and their parents paid their way through/they had a connection. For the majority of Fordham people who took out loans to pay, going to Fordham is something that can ruin your life. It's ruined mine. I would do anything to have a time machine and become a cop or even a janitor (hell, maybe start my own business).

This is nothing against Fordham. I think Vice Dean F and MM are two genuine people who are doing all they possibly can to help us. In fact, if it wasn't for Dean F, I wouldn't have graduated because of a registrar mishap. I love the staff, and the adjuncts, etc.

But Fordham is a weird school. I was originally waitlisted to the part time program with a 164/3.9. Then I retook late and got a 168. I was accepted to the full time with no money. I could have taken the $ and gone to a lesser school. I wouldn't have gotten into Cornell that year because of the late retake (believe it or not, it might not have been a slam dunk with my numbers regular admission). So I was stuck in that middle area.

Fordham is filled with a ton of relatively smart people, in the center of the universe (NYC), with professors telling all of us we're going to "make it", but sometimes you need a nudge and you need someone to remind you that your loans are accruing $40 a day.

You went to Fordham at sticker with a 3.9/168?

Those are MDGC w/ $$ numbers now man. Crazy world the last few years

Fujin11

New

Post by Fujin11 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:23 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:

I know someone who started at NYU this year with the exact same numbers

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:01 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:

I find it funnier that I was waitlisted from the part time with a 164/3.9. It was the worst admissions year by far.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”