No offers Fordham OCI, What should I do to avoid poverty?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No offers Fordham OCI, What should I do to avoid poverty?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Title says it all, let's hear the suggestions

KidStuddi

Re: No offers Fordham OCI, What should I do to avoid poverty?

Postby KidStuddi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am

Mass mail. Prepare to drop out after the fall semester and cut the potential debt in half.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:56 am

approx. class standing and journal?

people get jobs outside of oci.

froglee

Postby froglee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:22 am

WORTHLESS POST ABUSING ANON
Last edited by soj on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:06 am

City government? Don't know what their hiring standards are, but if you can snag a job there, the New York City Law Department will give you interesting work, decent pay, and great hours.

Also, might want to consider volunteering for the mayoral race. Getting involved in NYC politics is a time-honored route to employment.

haus

Postby haus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:53 am

Are you PAYE eligible?

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:59 am

Drop out and cut your debt in half. Take it from a guy who graduated from Fordham, mostly liked it and regrets not dropping out. And I actually got a DREAM job that pays $65k. I would be living a dream right now--location, type of work, meeting awesome people, etc.--except for the fact that I owe $160k to the federal government.

I'll NEVER be able to have a family. I worry every day about my life. Worst mistake was going. Second worst was not dropping out.

Can't imagine what it's like for the people I know (many of them) who have no jobs and no leads.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Depends what area of law you are interested in. Mass mail. Network. Or just go get your mba and join one of the big 4.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Op here, I should have provided more info in the original post. Apologies:

Anonymous User wrote:approx. class standing and journal?

I'm between top 1/3 and median, on a secondary journal and URM.

Anonymous User wrote:City government? Don't know what their hiring standards are, but if you can snag a job there, the New York City Law Department will give you interesting work, decent pay, and great hours.

Also, might want to consider volunteering for the mayoral race. Getting involved in NYC politics is a time-honored route to employment.

I applied to law department twice and didn't garner an interview either time so i'm assuming that ship has sailed

haus wrote:Are you PAYE eligible?

in terms of loan timing? Yes

Anonymous User wrote:Depends what area of law you are interested in. Mass mail. Network. Or just go get your mba and join one of the big 4.

I'm kind of torn, I really want to not live paycheck to paycheck because I've done that my entire life and it blows but I think I'd truly enjoy being an assistant district attorney.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:27 pm

Op Again:

On the debt issue, I have a half-tuition scholarship and don't pay living expenses so I'll probably have 100k-110k of debt upon graduation if I stay, I have around 80k now

gchatbrah

Postby gchatbrah » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Drop out and cut your debt in half. Take it from a guy who graduated from Fordham, mostly liked it and regrets not dropping out. And I actually got a DREAM job that pays $65k. I would be living a dream right now--location, type of work, meeting awesome people, etc.--except for the fact that I owe $160k to the federal government.

I'll NEVER be able to have a family. I worry every day about my life. Worst mistake was going. Second worst was not dropping out.

160K debt with 65K starting salary = / = never having a family. That level of debt is still manageable, and living your life without any debt is sub-optimal, in my opinion. Debt is an important part of temporal consumption, and if you wouldn't have gotten that 65K job without taking on some debt, it might still be a net win (depending on how much upward mobility there is).

I think you've done pretty well for yourself so far, keep at it.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op Again:

On the debt issue, I have a half-tuition scholarship and don't pay living expenses so I'll probably have 100k-110k of debt upon graduation if I stay, I have around 80k now

What do you see yourself doing if you drop out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:54 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

What do you see yourself doing if you drop out?

Probably the same thing other twenty-somethings in Manhattan with fake college majors do, work 12 hours a day for 30k a year

As a side bar, I do actually want to be a lawyer and somewhat enjoy law school

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Did you just start 3L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Did you just start 3L?

I just started 2L

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Did you just start 3L?

I just started 2L

How do you plan to keep the debt so low then? If you can somehow only add 30K in debt over these next two years then you should probably stay but it seems like the debt will be much higher.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Did you just start 3L?

I just started 2L

How do you plan to keep the debt so low then? If you can somehow only add 30K in debt over these next two years then you should probably stay but it seems like the debt will be much higher.

I already took out the money I need for 2L year, which was 30k. I'm assuming I'll need 20-30k for next year as well

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:11 pm

gchatbrah wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:Drop out and cut your debt in half. Take it from a guy who graduated from Fordham, mostly liked it and regrets not dropping out. And I actually got a DREAM job that pays $65k. I would be living a dream right now--location, type of work, meeting awesome people, etc.--except for the fact that I owe $160k to the federal government.

160K debt with 65K starting salary = / = never having a family. That level of debt is still manageable, and living your life without any debt is sub-optimal, in my opinion. Debt is an important part of temporal consumption, and if you wouldn't have gotten that 65K job without taking on some debt, it might still be a net win (depending on how much upward mobility there is).

Bronx Bum probably would not need the 100k annual recommended salary for his debt, or the 65k job for his debt, if he HAD NO DEBT AT ALL. There is a bigger net win if you are making $19.00 an hour with a near-free AA degree. Is it a crapshoot you will make $19.00 an hour somehow after AA? Probably, but much less a crapshoot than servicing $160,000 debt ($1,841.00 a month for ten years) on the dreams of biglawl.

No offense intended for Bronx Bum. Just saying..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Gorki wrote:
gchatbrah wrote:

Bronx Bum probably would not need the 100k annual recommended salary for his debt, or the 65k job for his debt, if he HAD NO DEBT AT ALL. There is a bigger net win if you are making $19.00 an hour with a near-free AA degree. Is it a crapshoot you will make $19.00 an hour somehow after AA? Probably, but much less a crapshoot than servicing $160,000 debt ($1,841.00 a month for ten years) on the dreams of biglawl.

No offense intended for Bronx Bum. Just saying..

Everyone I know with an associates degree is unemployed or employed as a waiter/bartender and living at home with the exception of one person who works as an electrician for the MTA and he only has that job because one of his parents works there

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I already took out the money I need for 2L year, which was 30k. I'm assuming I'll need 20-30k for next year as well

There are a few things wrong here -- how did you calculate your CoA? Also, do you know Fordham's policy wrt student loans and tuition refunds? Here's how I see it playing out:

First, assuming you took out federal loans, the second half of that $30K wouldn't even disburse until january. So you're really talking about $15K taken out, which means you've taken out a total of $65K so far including this fall semester.

Now since its still september, its likely that if you alerted the law school tomorrow they would refund if not all, at least part of your tuition. And for Stafford/Grad Plus, you can just pay the loans back immediately and block the capitalization. So you could get upwards of another $13.5-14K back (assuming loan fees & books are a sunk cost), not counting whatever you've already spent on CoL, putting you around $52K in debt.

Worst case scenario, you're locked in for the semester and you can't get any tuition refunded, you could finish out this semester pounding the pavement mass mailing looking for any opportunity, and if its Jan 1 and you come up dry, you take time off with 65K in the hole.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:21 pm

If you'll only have ~110K debt total at graduation, are enjoying law school/still want to be a lawyer, and don't have good prospects outside the law, I stay stick with it.

Hustle + network + be flexible + pray for an economic upswing + PAYE.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here, I should have provided more info in the original post. Apologies:

Anonymous User wrote:approx. class standing and journal?

I'm between top 1/3 and median, on a secondary journal and URM.

Anonymous User wrote:City government? Don't know what their hiring standards are, but if you can snag a job there, the New York City Law Department will give you interesting work, decent pay, and great hours.

m

I applied to law department twice and didn't garner an interview either time so i'm assuming that ship has sailed

haus wrote:Are you PAYE eligible?

in terms of loan timing? Yes

Anonymous User wrote:Depends what area of law you are interested in. Mass mail. Network. Or just go get your mba and join one of the big 4.

I'm kind of torn, I really want to not live paycheck to paycheck because I've done that my entire life and it blows but I think I'd truly enjoy being an assistant district attorney.

Read the prosecution gunner thread. Focus on internships or externships that might lead to a job.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:43 pm

editd

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:30 am

Op here

Feeling extra shitty today so I thought I'd bump this for inspiration

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Hey man I feel ya. Gave up a full ride at Hofstra to transfer to Gtown and struck out at OCI. I am feeling like I should have stayed put and just become an ADA debt free...

Return to “Legal Employment”