Have an offer? Do the rest of us a favor... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gorki

Silver

Re: Have an offer? Do the rest of us a favor...

Post by Gorki » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Has TLS ever encountered someone who accepted multiple offers? I am not talking split summer either. Just legit accepting like 3-4 offers.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Gorki wrote:Has TLS ever encountered someone who accepted multiple offers? I am not talking split summer either. Just legit accepting like 3-4 offers.
I can't imagine anyone smart enough to get an offer dumb enough to accept multiple offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:47 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
Gorki wrote:Has TLS ever encountered someone who accepted multiple offers? I am not talking split summer either. Just legit accepting like 3-4 offers.
I can't imagine anyone smart enough to get an offer dumb enough to accept multiple offers
Just out of curiosity, what would happen if someone actually did this? I'm imagining the offers would be rescinded?

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:51 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
I can. I know some pretty dumbass and cocky people working at firms.

Amity

New

Post by Amity » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 am

I suppose it is conceivable. Someone takes a meh offer because they are desperate, followed by accepting an offer from an attractive firm… I can see that happening but how it gets to accepting 3-4 offers is more difficult to imagine… but not impossible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Amity wrote:
I suppose it is conceivable. Someone takes a meh offer because they are desperate, followed by accepting an offer from an attractive firm… I can see that happening but how it gets to accepting 3-4 offers is more difficult to imagine… but not impossible.
I guess maybe if someone mistakenly thought there was a third round of interviews or something?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Gorki wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:
I can. I know some pretty dumbass and cocky people working at firms.
This seems past dumbass territory, and into the realm of "having literally zero comprehension of the future consequences of your actions."

Why would anyone accept multiple offers? You can't be in two places at once. No one who is capable of thinking about it for three seconds would ever do this, except in the context of accepting one and then reneging and then accepting another, obviously.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:31 pm

If I remember correctly, during the crash, Elie Mystal suggested students should accept multiple offers to hedge against offers being revoked.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:36 pm

IAFG wrote:If I remember correctly, during the crash, Elie Mystal suggested students should accept multiple offers to hedge against offers being revoked.
I'm actually not sure what to think of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:39 pm

IAFG wrote:If I remember correctly, during the crash, Elie Mystal suggested students should accept multiple offers to hedge against offers being revoked.
Okay, so that is a semi-rational reason to do it. It's a good thing that practice didn't catch on, though. It would just fuck over students in the end when firms decided that since they couldn't predict how many people they'd have, they also don't have to honor their offers.

masterbrowski

New

Post by masterbrowski » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:39 pm

What follows is not advice for what to do in this situation. Rather, I'm just trying to work the situation out. I've actually always been curious about this one:

Obviously, the right thing to do is not accept offers until you've completely made up your mind. NALP gives 28 days (at least they did a couple years ago) for people to decide. Most firms will try and accelerate their decision after your callback if you tell them you have an offer deadline coming up with another firm.

BUT assume for the sake of argument that you accepted with firm 1 at the end of the 28 day NALP period. Assume it was your best offer at that time. Now assume that Cravath calls you back and says: "Hey Candidate, something just opened up, and we'd love for you to be a summer here." Could the candidate withdraw their acceptance with firm 1, and THEN accept Cravath's offer?

The first instinct is to say: "It's on you, you shouldn't have accepted the first offer unless you were willing to work there." That being said, it seems like a harsh result to keep someone from working at the firm they really want, especially since just a couple years ago, firms withdrew offers after students had already accepted them.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:45 pm

masterbrowski wrote:What follows is not advice for what to do in this situation. Rather, I'm just trying to work the situation out. I've actually always been curious about this one:

Obviously, the right thing to do is not accept offers until you've completely made up your mind. NALP gives 28 days (at least they did a couple years ago) for people to decide. Most firms will try and accelerate their decision after your callback if you tell them you have an offer deadline coming up with another firm.

BUT assume for the sake of argument that you accepted with firm 1 at the end of the 28 day NALP period. Assume it was your best offer at that time. Now assume that Cravath calls you back and says: "Hey Candidate, something just opened up, and we'd love for you to be a summer here." Could the candidate withdraw their acceptance with firm 1, and THEN accept Cravath's offer?

The first instinct is to say: "It's on you, you shouldn't have accepted the first offer unless you were willing to work there." That being said, it seems like a harsh result to keep someone from working at the firm they really want, especially since just a couple years ago, firms withdrew offers after students had already accepted them.
Of course they could. Accepting an offer isn't consigning yourself to indentured servitude. It'll probably burn some bridges so they should debate whether the second firm is worth burning those bridges for.

masterbrowski

New

Post by masterbrowski » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:58 pm

bk1 wrote:
masterbrowski wrote:What follows is not advice for what to do in this situation. Rather, I'm just trying to work the situation out. I've actually always been curious about this one:

Of course they could. Accepting an offer isn't consigning yourself to indentured servitude. It'll probably burn some bridges so they should debate whether the second firm is worth burning those bridges for.
That's where I'm at too, but I was always curious what others thought.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrsPalsgraf

New

Post by MrsPalsgraf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If you can't understand why a thread called "the anti vale" is in poor taste
I think it's more the mindset of thinking the name is appropriate than the actual name. The thread felt like a white student seeing BLSA and saying "well they have a club where they can talk about their stuff, why can't we have a club to talk about our stuff?"

^this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm trying to decide between Cravath (NYC) v. Quinn (NYC) v. Baker Botts (Dallas) v. Skadden (LA) v. Dechert (NYC) v. Covington (D.C.) v. Ropes (Boston) v. Davis Polk (NYC) v. Katten Muchin (Chicago) v. Skadden (Wilmington) v. Paul Hastings (Orange County). Any thoughts would be awesome. Per NALP guidelines I have to decline six of these offers next week.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to decide between Cravath (NYC) v. Quinn (NYC) v. Baker Botts (Dallas) v. Skadden (LA) v. Dechert (NYC) v. Covington (D.C.) v. Ropes (Boston) v. Davis Polk (NYC) v. Katten Muchin (Chicago) v. Skadden (Wilmington) v. Paul Hastings (Orange County). Any thoughts would be awesome. Per NALP guidelines I have to decline six of these offers next week.
I think you should accept at least one in each market just to cover all your bases, bro.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to decide between Cravath (NYC) v. Quinn (NYC) v. Baker Botts (Dallas) v. Skadden (LA) v. Dechert (NYC) v. Covington (D.C.) v. Ropes (Boston) v. Davis Polk (NYC) v. Katten Muchin (Chicago) v. Skadden (Wilmington) v. Paul Hastings (Orange County). Any thoughts would be awesome. Per NALP guidelines I have to decline six of these offers next week.
Qfp anonymous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:01 am

This is presumably a (not that funny) joke, and thus doesn't need to be anon. Am I missing something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:42 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
This is presumably a (not that funny) joke, and thus doesn't need to be anon. Am I missing something?
Wow. I was lucky enough to get an offer from Baker Botts (Dallas), but I went elsewhere. Glad I did, otherwise there would be a shot that I might have to work with that guy. I hear SulCrom opened an office in STFU, which is another option he should strongly consider.

Amity

New

Post by Amity » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:19 pm

masterbrowski wrote:NALP gives 28 days (at least they did a couple years ago) for people to decide.
Just as an FYI: Some firms (even those offerinng +125K) only give a 7-10 day window to accept. IME, this tends to mainly occur late in the process when firms are trying to wrap things up.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Amity wrote:
masterbrowski wrote:NALP gives 28 days (at least they did a couple years ago) for people to decide.
Just as an FYI: Some firms (even those offerinng +125K) only give a 7-10 day window to accept. IME, this tends to mainly occur late in the process when firms are trying to wrap things up.
Just out of curiosity, how late are you talking here? When does this 7-10 day window normally come into play? Mid October? Later?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

masterbrowski

New

Post by masterbrowski » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 pm

wiz wrote:
Amity wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how late are you talking here? When does this 7-10 day window normally come into play? Mid October? Later?
As I understand it, the NALP standard followed by most big market, v100 firms is that you get your 28 days to decide whether you want to accept or reject the offer. The concept of having a different timetable for later offers is new to me. Are there v100 firms that you could give an example of who do this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:26 am

I'm pretty sure this counts as at-will employment, so you could rescind at any time. But you would burn some bridges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:32 am

masterbrowski wrote:
wiz wrote:
Amity wrote:
As I understand it, the NALP standard followed by most big market, v100 firms is that you get your 28 days to decide whether you want to accept or reject the offer. The concept of having a different timetable for later offers is new to me. Are there v100 firms that you could give an example of who do this?
My understanding was that there was a shorter timeframe option, but only much later (after December something-th, I believe).

My guess is that these are non-NALP firms.

Amity

New

Post by Amity » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:56 am

wiz wrote:Just out of curiosity, how late are you talking here? When does this 7-10 day window normally come into play? Mid October? Later?
If this is like last year, numerous firms (boutiques and those outside the V50) are still looking to fill slots since some of their prospects accepted somewhere else. These are good quality firms offering +$100K but in some cases the applicant only has an abbreviated period to decide if s/he wants in or not. This makes perfect sense since it is late in the process for both the employer and candidate. Not sure when the window closes, but last year various firms were making offers through November.

As a side note ―maybe they exist but I do not know of another industry that typically extends a 28 day window to give the applicant time to decide if they want to accept a six figure income.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”