When is it time to drop out? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When is it time to drop out?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:26 am

2L at school ranked somewhere around 50. I'm in the top 5 of my class, with good work experience, but it looks like I am striking out at OCI. I got plenty of screeners through OCI but only 1 callback, that I still haven't heard back on. Obviously I come across as a jerk or have some kind of social retard syndrome to have done this poorly. I've also mass mailed about 300 firms but have barely gotten any nibbles.

Is it too early to throw in the towel? I've got an engineering career making about 80-90k/yr that I can fall back on any time. It looks to be too late to address my lack of interviewing skills. Any pointers? It won't break my heart to drop out at all.

Anonymous User

Re: When is it time to drop out?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:16 pm

Having that engineering degree puts you in such a great position if you do drop out. How much debt would you have post-graduation?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Unless you're going to be saddled with debt I think you should stick it out.

With an IP background you can still get biglaw or a boutique without OCI.

I wouldn't be surprised if a JD would help you long term in an engineering career either.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Does the engi career help w/r/t patent stuff? If so, are you targeting your mass mailing? Are you playing up your engi background for patent lit/pros. stuffs? Assuming it's something that you're interested in.

I'd think top 5 of your class at a ~50 school with an engi background should be getting a lot more bites, kind of like your # of screeners through OCI than you're describing (even before we get to the point of where you might have issues with interviews), so I'm not sure what's happening.

I guess to answer the actual question, I wouldn't drop out with your stats.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:30 pm

First step: stop feeling sorry for yourself. If you need one more night to do it, do it tonight. Go drink, cry, vent, whatever. After that, get to work.

Second: work on interviewing skills HARD, and then mass mail at same time. It's not too late. You've got great credentials - don't waste it because you're not out yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”