How often do you recieve a response to a thank you? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How often do you recieve a response to a thank you?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:01 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote: Please go on. Let's say you have 100 interviews. If you sent 100 thank you's---we will keep them generic to prevent cringe factor---would it ever hurt you? Is it safe to say, that on average, you might be better off writing them than not? If someone does not care about them then they will not help, but if they do, and you don't write one, then it hurts you. Is it not worth writing them then?

Will an attorney who does not really care about a thank you going to drop your stock because you sent them one?

Where is the group think in that logic?

I try and do a little extra with everything I do, and 9/10 it does not result in anything significant, but 1/10 times it does. Someone takes notice or it helps me succeed where I may have otherwise not.

I cannot imagine an attorney getting an email that says "Thank you very much sir for taking time out of your day to come down to my school and interview me for the summer associate position," and thinking HAHA this kid is a fucking [Hi; this person hates sunshine and kittens and pleasant things in the world], let's not hire him!
I have never received a thank you before I submitted my final evaluation and recommendation to our recruiting committee, so they have definitively never had any impact other than me cringing.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote: Please go on. Let's say you have 100 interviews. If you sent 100 thank you's---we will keep them generic to prevent cringe factor---would it ever hurt you? Is it safe to say, that on average, you might be better off writing them than not? If someone does not care about them then they will not help, but if they do, and you don't write one, then it hurts you. Is it not worth writing them then?

Will an attorney who does not really care about a thank you going to drop your stock because you sent them one?

I try and do a little extra with everything I do, and 9/10 it does not result in anything significant, but 1/10 times it does. Someone takes notice or it helps me succeed where I may have otherwise not.

I cannot imagine an attorney getting an email that says "Thank you very much sir for taking time out of your day to come down to my school and interview me for the summer associate position," and thinking HAHA this kid is a fucking [Hi; this person hates sunshine and kittens and pleasant things in the world], let's not hire him!
I have never received a thank you before I submitted my final evaluation and recommendation to our recruiting committee, so they have definitively never had any impact other than me cringing.
I am going to post one last time and then stop because I am going to continue to thank people that have done something for me anyway.

I just cannot help but point out that the same people that berate people for using anecdotes are also quick to use anecdotal evidence.

I am sorry you have never received a thank you. Let me thank you now, thank you. You have given a favorable evaluation of someone and apparently they didn't give you a smidgen of gratitude for taking time out of your day. Thank you on their behalf. /end

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:05 pm

I received a response to a thank you from the hiring partner that said "best of luck in the rest of your job search"

Bad sign or am I reading too much into this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:06 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am going to post one last time and then stop because I am going to continue to thank people that have done something for me anyway.

I just cannot help but point out that the same people that berate people for using anecdotes are also quick to use anecdotal evidence.

I am sorry you have never received a thank you. Let me thank you now, thank you. You have given a favorable evaluation of someone and apparently they didn't give you a smidgen of gratitude for taking time out of your day. Thank you on their behalf. /end
You completely misread what I wrote and/or missed my point. I have received a lot of thank you notes. I have never received one before I submit my evaluation and recommendation.
Anonymous User wrote:I received a response to a thank you from the hiring partner that said "best of luck in the rest of your job search"

Bad sign or am I reading too much into this?
It's just boilerplate because there's no good way to respond to these things. Reading too much into it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote: It's just boilerplate because there's no good way to respond to these things. Reading too much into it.
I sure hope so, but I just can't imagine a hiring partner giving me a good evaluation and them sending me an email saying essentially 'thanks for your time and good luck in the future"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:07 am

In my thank you I said to a partner something to the effect of, if chosen for a summer associate position, I'd be interested in working with you. He wrote back, " It was a pleasure to meet with you. I hope we have the opportunity to work together next summer." Is this a really good sign, or does it not mean much at all? Also, he's not the hiring partner.

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:22 am

Last edited by Younger Abstention on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:40 am, edited 8 times in total.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:29 am

Funny story, I did get a response to one of my "thank you" notes that addressed me by the incorrect name. Still got an offer though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:02 am

Why wouldn't you send a thank you? Do you really think attorneys like to interview us? It
is not the best assignment.....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:08 am

I like getting thank you emails and I always respond. But I don't care if I don't get one. I cant ever see it hurting you, even if you have a typo but I'm not a stickler for those things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Why wouldn't you send a thank you? Do you really think attorneys like to interview us? It
is not the best assignment.....
Interviews are fun when you're on the other side. I do my evaluations right after each interview, so sending a thank you to a lowly associate is probably worthless (though it's a nice gesture and I'll respond).

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Tl;dr: no one gives a fuck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:In my thank you I said to a partner something to the effect of, if chosen for a summer associate position, I'd be interested in working with you. He wrote back, " It was a pleasure to meet with you. I hope we have the opportunity to work together next summer." Is this a really good sign, or does it not mean much at all? Also, he's not the hiring partner.
I think that's a good sign. I sent a thank you that said I felt I'd be a good fit at the firm along with some other points related to my competence. I got a response from one of the partners that he and all my interviewers agreed with my comments and that he had no doubt I'd be successful in my career whether at his firm or elsewhere. I got the offer a few weeks later.

In my opinion, a generic response means nothing in relation to odds of getting an offer. You were courteous and they are being courteous in return. But a personalized response is more meaningful, I think. Especially if it comes from a person higher up in the firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In my thank you I said to a partner something to the effect of, if chosen for a summer associate position, I'd be interested in working with you. He wrote back, " It was a pleasure to meet with you. I hope we have the opportunity to work together next summer." Is this a really good sign, or does it not mean much at all? Also, he's not the hiring partner.
I think that's a good sign. I sent a thank you that said I felt I'd be a good fit at the firm along with some other points related to my competence. I got a response from one of the partners that he and all my interviewers agreed with my comments and that he had no doubt I'd be successful in my career whether at his firm or elsewhere. I got the offer a few weeks later.

In my opinion, a generic response means nothing in relation to odds of getting an offer. You were courteous and they are being courteous in return. But a personalized response is more meaningful, I think. Especially if it comes from a person higher up in the firm.
Why do you think this isn't a generic response? Saying I hope to work with you next summer doesn't mean he assumes you will get an offer. He could say the same to everyone who sends a thank you note.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”