New associate banter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ragelion

Gold

Re: New associate banter

Post by ragelion » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:25 am

He seems like a happy dood.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:29 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would it be a mistake to wear a really nice watch to the office as a first year? (Think cartier, panerai, etc.)
No.
Neither of those are particularly nice, so knock yourself out.
Sometimes, you are insufferable.
It's true, but what I said is correct. This is a nice watch:

ragelion

Gold

Post by ragelion » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:33 am

Solid post.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:03 am

A+ would read again

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:59 am

Is there any way to disengage the aspie or is this thread now ruined?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Post aspie bait in another thread and hope he gets distracted.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Start work a week from tomorrow. Any things that I should be doing (other than strippers, cocaine, etc) in my final week of freedom?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Prepare to win the victory over yourself. Prepare to learn to love big brother.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:02 am

thesealocust wrote:Prepare to win the victory over yourself. Prepare to learn to love big brother.
Why so negative?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:26 am

quakeroats wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Prepare to win the victory over yourself. Prepare to learn to love big brother.
Why so negative?
Billables are strength. Doc review is peace.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:08 pm

thesealocust wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Why so negative?
If the experience never got more interesting than first-year bullshit, the business model would look a lot different. Big law is mostly hierarchal but not entirely so. That is, there are second years that run deals and fourth years that still do commodity work. The sooner you distinguish yourself, the less mindless nonsense you'll have on your plate.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:14 pm

quakeroats wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Why so negative?
If the experience never got more interesting than first-year bullshit, the business model would look a lot different. Big law is mostly hierarchal but not entirely so. That is, there are second years that run deals and fourth years that still do commodity work. The sooner you distinguish yourself, the less mindless nonsense you'll have on your plate.
Thanks for the advice. But what I really want to know more about is whether I should be a Patek for work? This partner has been egging me out about my TTT Baum & Mercier.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:21 pm

quakeroats wrote:If the experience never got more interesting than first-year bullshit, the business model would look a lot different. Big law is mostly hierarchal but not entirely so. That is, there are second years that run deals and fourth years that still do commodity work. The sooner you distinguish yourself, the less mindless nonsense you'll have on your plate.
Oh my God you are back and you are so... so... you still.

But thanks for breaking down how big law works for me, those incredible insights will serve me well. I'll just get back to all of my doc review now! Sooo many documents to review LOL LITIGATION LOL maybe one day I'll just doc review my little heart out and get to write a section of a brief :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:25 pm

zweitbester wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Why so negative?

Thanks for the advice. But what I really want to know more about is whether I should be a Patek for work? This partner has been egging me out about my TTT Baum & Mercier.
You should wait until Apple or someone else makes a watch that functions as more than wearable art.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:29 pm

And you should stop derailing this thread with your bullshit. There are plenty of other places to talk about watches.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:53 pm

thesealocust wrote:
quakeroats wrote:If the experience never got more interesting than first-year bullshit, the business model would look a lot different. Big law is mostly hierarchal but not entirely so. That is, there are second years that run deals and fourth years that still do commodity work. The sooner you distinguish yourself, the less mindless nonsense you'll have on your plate.

But thanks for breaking down how big law works for me, those incredible insights will serve me well. I'll just get back to all of my doc review now! Sooo many documents to review LOL LITIGATION LOL maybe one day I'll just doc review my little heart out and get to write a section of a brief :D
Since you brought it up, if you wanted interesting work early, you probably shouldn't be in litigation--n.b., I've made the case for niche transactional/regulatory groups in New York several times. If you're sick of commodity work, maybe it's time to think about a transition.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:29 pm

quakeroats wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Since you brought it up, if you wanted interesting work early, you probably shouldn't be in litigation--n.b., I've made the case for niche transactional/regulatory groups in New York several times. If you're sick of commodity work, maybe it's time to think about a transition.
Austism Society wrote:Children with Asperger's Disorder may not understand the subtleties of language, such as irony and humor, or they may not understand the give-and-take nature of a conversation

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:57 pm

El Pollito wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Austism Society wrote:Children with Asperger's Disorder may not understand the subtleties of language, such as irony and humor, or they may not understand the give-and-take nature of a conversation
^ this is my favorite post on TLS, bar none.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:00 pm

And to ignore the forest and focus laser like on an irrelevant tree: you're looking for the word/concept "commoditized." If you refer to it as commodity work, people are going to assume you're talking about CFTC regulatory work or something :lol:

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 pm

thesealocust wrote:And to ignore the forest and focus laser like on an irrelevant tree: you're looking for the word/concept "commoditized." If you refer to it as commodity work, people are going to assume you're talking about CFTC regulatory work or something :lol:
That would require him to assume that we're 0Ls or some shit.

Quaker Oafs--broseph. we be graduated and associates and shit. thats y we post here.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:26 pm

It was a nice 38 pages while it lasted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 pm

thesealocust wrote:And to ignore the forest and focus laser like on an irrelevant tree: you're looking for the word/concept "commoditized." If you refer to it as commodity work, people are going to assume you're talking about CFTC regulatory work or something :lol:
I'll assume by your silence that the point got through.

And btw:

Commodity- 4. a good or service whose wide availability typically leads to smaller profit margins and diminishes the importance of factors (as brand name) other than price.
http://i.word.com/idictionary/Commodity

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:It was a nice 38 pages while it lasted.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:49 pm

holy fuckkk

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Somebody take this one please? This is a slow pitch right across the plate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”