Follow up after callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Follow up after callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:45 pm

This Friday will mark 2 weeks since I've heard from my callback. I wouldn't be worried if the firm didn't tell me I should hear within a week during my callback.

Should I follow up with them expressing my continued interest and should I do it by email or call?

Thanks

Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: Follow up after callback

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This Friday will mark 2 weeks since I've heard from my callback. I wouldn't be worried if the firm didn't tell me I should hear within a week during my callback.

Should I follow up with them expressing my continued interest and should I do it by email or call?

Thanks

No this seems desperate. The hard truth is either you're dinged and haven't gotten the notice, you are in a hold group, or they haven't decided.

Edit: You could follow up if you have another offer to say I have another offer but I would prefer your firm abd I only have x days to accept the other offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:14 pm

I am in the same boat.

PLEASE OFFER ME!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Op. So I shouldn't do anything even if they told me specifically I should hear within a week. It is my number one choice & I want them to know that too. Plus, I just want to be done with callbacks altogether.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Did you read that post by Spivey where pestering people was the number 2 complaint about interviewees? Just chill and mass mail while you are waiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:10 pm

I am in the same boat. Waiting is excruciating. Keep mass mailing, reaching out to alumni, exercising, drinking, rinse, repeat.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 pm

the only acceptable reason to follow up after a callback is if you are informing the firm that you have another offer that is expiring soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Op. So I ended up following up with the firm and got a response. They apologized for the wait and said they were super busy and people were in and out on vacation. Also, that they would get back to me shortly. That was 2 weeks ago and still no offer or ding.

Should I follow up again? I can't possibly imagine what could take this long when others have gotten a response.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op. So I ended up following up with the firm and got a response. They apologized for the wait and said they were super busy and people were in and out on vacation. Also, that they would get back to me shortly. That was 2 weeks ago and still no offer or ding.

Should I follow up again? I can't possibly imagine what could take this long when others have gotten a response.

you're probably on a waitlist

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op. So I ended up following up with the firm and got a response. They apologized for the wait and said they were super busy and people were in and out on vacation. Also, that they would get back to me shortly. That was 2 weeks ago and still no offer or ding.

I had a cb almost 5 weeks ago and I was finally sick of waiting and followed up with them. Turns out they sent out a rej letter a few weeks ago and apparently it was lost in snail mail.

Oh, well, I guess it is still better to know than to keep hold on to a false hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:21 am

Yea maybe there is a waitlist but I feel they should tell me that instead of having me wait almost 5 weeks come Friday.

I know for a fact the firm sends rejections by email so I guess they could have forgot to send one or something.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yea maybe there is a waitlist but I feel they should tell me that instead of having me wait almost 5 weeks come Friday.

I know for a fact the firm sends rejections by email so I guess they could have forgot to send one or something.

Unless they forgot to send you a rejection, you're almost certainly in a hold group. Don't give up hope, though, I know of numerous people who got cb's and offers all the way through October. Yield can be difficult to predict, sometimes.

If you had any sort of other offer to leverage, that might be helpful, otherwise I'd keep looking around and maybe ask your CSO what they think you should do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:05 am

what to do if you're on the waitlist?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:16 am

When you tell the other firm that you have an offer, do you tell them which firm? I'm still waiting to hear back from my top firm, but have an offer in the same market from a "more prestigious" firm. How do I convey that I would choose them over this firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:When you tell the other firm that you have an offer, do you tell them which firm? I'm still waiting to hear back from my top firm, but have an offer in the same market from a "more prestigious" firm. How do I convey that I would choose them over this firm?

I didn't outright say it, but I strongly suggested I would choose the firm over my current options. I think following up with an offer deadline is a strong indication that you are still very interested and that you would seriously consider, if not accept, an offer. Why else would you let them know you have a deadline coming up (assuming you're not someone who collects offers)?

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When you tell the other firm that you have an offer, do you tell them which firm? I'm still waiting to hear back from my top firm, but have an offer in the same market from a "more prestigious" firm. How do I convey that I would choose them over this firm?

I didn't outright say it, but I strongly suggested I would choose the firm over my current options. I think following up with an offer deadline is a strong indication that you are still very interested and that you would seriously consider, if not accept, an offer. Why else would you let them know you have a deadline coming up (assuming you're not someone who collects offers)?

I wouldn't tell them which firm, but they might ask, in which case you might as well. But, the above is true; you wouldn't follow up with a firm and tell them you have another offer with a deadline unless you were very seriously considering the firm that you're following up with. It just makes no sense. Obviously you might still turn them down for one reason or another--maybe, after comparing the two offers, you ultimately decide to go with the first firm--but you wouldn't try to expedite an answer from a firm you knew you were going to turn down an offer from.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:27 pm

lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't tell them which firm, but they might ask, in which case you might as well. But, the above is true; you wouldn't follow up with a firm and tell them you have another offer with a deadline unless you were very seriously considering the firm that you're following up with. It just makes no sense. Obviously you might still turn them down for one reason or another--maybe, after comparing the two offers, you ultimately decide to go with the first firm--but you wouldn't try to expedite an answer from a firm you knew you were going to turn down an offer from.

You'd think this, but I know of people who do call firms that they'd never accept in comparison to their current offer to see if they'll get an offer. I don't get the point, other than to find out how many offers you can get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You'd think this, but I know of people who do call firms that they'd never accept in comparison to their current offer to see if they'll get an offer. I don't get the point, other than to find out how many offers you can get.

This seems pretty douchey, especially when it's late in the game and firms are being more cautious with extending offers. That offer could go to someone who's sitting on nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Reed Smith (NY) and Linklaters (NY) ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:21 pm

When was the Reed Smith (NY) callback if you don't mind me asking ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reed Smith (NY) and Linklaters (NY) ding

When was your callback for Reed Smith (NY) if you don't mind me asking?

Return to “Legal Employment”