Screening Interview - Should I Offer to Travel?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Screening Interview - Should I Offer to Travel?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:22 am

I was recently given the opportunity to conduct a screening interview by phone with a firm that is about 200 miles away from where I go to school, and I was wondering if I should offer to travel to the firm's office for an in-person interview. If I do offer to travel, should I say that I plan to be in the area for X date, that I have other interviews over Y and Z days and will be in the city, or that I would be happy to travel to the firm for an in-person interview?

Basically, I want to strike the right balance between demonstrating interest and reeking of desperation.

goldeneye

Re: Screening Interview - Should I Offer to Travel?

Postby goldeneye » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:26 am

It's not reeking of desperation if you travel there. FaceTime is really valuable. If you have the financial means, I would recommend it.

crumpetsandtea

Re: Screening Interview - Should I Offer to Travel?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:07 am

I assume you're driving to this location? I think it's fine to say you'll be there for X date but DO NOT pretend like you have interviews if you don't actually have them. Just say you were going to be in the area anyway. Then set up some info interviews in the area if you'd like.

Skype works too though.

Return to “Legal Employment”