3L Politically Correct

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Amity

3L Politically Correct

Postby Amity » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:35 am

So far everyone I know that had an SA was offered. In looking around TLS (and LSD, which has been my main internet LS site) it seems like SA offerings are at 100%. This is all great, except… I have some classmates who did not secure an SA and this year’s 3L OCI response rate is reportedly bleak (at this point).

I know from LSD that there is an abundance of sensitivity regarding those that are still looking. Especially when some of the offered posted victory celebrations and firm party photos on Facebook. They were routinely chastised for being insensitive. I think everyone can understand wanting to celebrate but it still created an issue.

This Friday I ran into a couple of classmates who had been offered and we were having a great time but then a couple others came over proclaiming that LS sucked because no one was hiring… it was freaking me out. Is it going to be this way for the rest of the year? I ask this knowing that the offered are fortunate and that those who were passed over deserve encouragement. That said, what is the politically correct advice?

IAFG

Re: 3L Politically Correct

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:49 am

Find other topics of conversation. If someone else brings it up, be encouraging but not patronizing (more like "can I buy you a beer?" than "have you thought about applying to clerkships?"). If you hear of job leads, pass them on.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:37 am

Amity wrote:So far everyone I know that had an SA was offered. In looking around TLS (and LSD, which has been my main internet LS site) it seems like SA offerings are at 100%. This is all great, except… I have some classmates who did not secure an SA and this year’s 3L OCI response rate is reportedly bleak (at this point).

I know from LSD that there is an abundance of sensitivity regarding those that are still looking. Especially when some of the offered posted victory celebrations and firm party photos on Facebook. They were routinely chastised for being insensitive. I think everyone can understand wanting to celebrate but it still created an issue.

This Friday I ran into a couple of classmates who had been offered and we were having a great time but then a couple others came over proclaiming that LS sucked because no one was hiring… it was freaking me out. Is it going to be this way for the rest of the year? I ask this knowing that the offered are fortunate and that those who were passed over deserve encouragement. That said, what is the politically correct advice?

It's probably gonna be that way for the rest of the year

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:55 am

This is why it's important quickly to begin severing the bonds of friendship with people who don't have jobs yet. There's no telling what demands will be made on you're compassion later in the year, if hiring remains bleak. I suggest that you figure out who doesn't have a job, and target them for some dramatic social misdeed that guarantees they won't want to talk to you again. It can be like ripping off a band-aid. If you don't have the balls to do this, at least begin slowly alienating them immediately.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 am

Isn't it terrible that those unemployed proles are raining on your parade?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 am

Law school discussion still exists??

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:51 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Law school discussion still exists??

I also wondered at first if this was necroed

Void

Postby Void » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:53 am

Imagine that you and your friend both had cancer. You eventually find out that your cancer has disappeared, but you know that your friend still has cancer. When your friend is around, maybe it isn't the best idea to discuss how happy you are that you are not going to die.

EdBurke

Postby EdBurke » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 am

Void wrote:Imagine that you and your friend both had cancer. You eventually find out that your cancer has disappeared, but you know that your friend still has cancer. When your friend is around, maybe it isn't the best idea to discuss how happy you are that you are not going to die.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:27 am

Seeing as you like to talk about your offer (its in 3/4 of your posts) I would suggest you talk about it less.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:41 am

Read the vale thread and get some perspective on reality. People have been no offered this summer and there are people who didn't even get SAs because of poor bidding, whatever.

Honestly, you sound clueless. Is your concern that you might have to deal with classmates that don't have jobs but you don't know how to act? Here's a clue: the wealthiest people I know never ever talk about money and stuff they are going to buy or brag about anything money related. Try to emulate old money not the classless noveau riche.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:44 am

NYstate wrote:Read the vale thread and get some perspective on reality. People have been no offered this summer and there are people who didn't even get SAs because of poor bidding, whatever.

Honestly, you sound clueless. Is your concern that you might have to deal with classmates that don't have jobs but you don't know how to act? Here's a clue: the wealthiest people I know never ever talk about money and stuff they are going to buy or brag about anything money related. Try to emulate old money not the classless noveau riche.

It's old-school polite not to talk about money, your job, politics, religion, sex. If law students tried to follow those rules it would look like a Trayvon Martin moment of silence.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:53 am

IAFG wrote:
NYstate wrote:Read the vale thread and get some perspective on reality. People have been no offered this summer and there are people who didn't even get SAs because of poor bidding, whatever.

It's old-school polite not to talk about money, your job, politics, religion, sex. If law students tried to follow those rules it would look like a Trayvon Martin moment of silence.

I thought this thread was about how to act regarding money and employment. I would just keep my mouth shut about both or at least be discrete.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:56 am

I strongly disagree with most of TLS about not talking about having a job. I think it is perfectly fine to talk about what you did this summer or looking forward to work or whatever as long as you aren't a jerk about it (e.g. don't point at jobless people and laugh or throw money at them) and use common sense.

To me, this whole "never mention having a job" crap is similar to all these ridiculous protests of clothing stores for not carrying plus sized clothes. Just because there may be unemployed people around doesn't mean you now have to pretend jobs don't exist.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:07 am

AllTheLawz wrote:I strongly disagree with most of TLS about not talking about having a job. I think it is perfectly fine to talk about what you did this summer or looking forward to work or whatever as long as you aren't a jerk about it (e.g. don't point at jobless people and laugh or throw money at them) and use common sense.

To me, this whole "never mention having a job" crap is similar to all these ridiculous protests of clothing stores for not carrying plus sized clothes. Just because there may be unemployed people around doesn't mean you now have to pretend jobs don't exist.

You sound like a total cocksucker

frankc

Postby frankc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:15 am

AllTheLawz wrote:To me, this whole "never mention having a job" crap is similar to all these ridiculous protests of clothing stores for not carrying plus sized clothes. Just because there may be unemployed people around doesn't mean you now have to pretend jobs don't exist.

This is a really bad analogy.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:27 am

frankc wrote:
AllTheLawz wrote:To me, this whole "never mention having a job" crap is similar to all these ridiculous protests of clothing stores for not carrying plus sized clothes. Just because there may be unemployed people around doesn't mean you now have to pretend jobs don't exist.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:31 am

frankc wrote:

That's what I meant to say

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:36 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankc

Postby frankc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:40 am

AllTheLawz wrote:Just because there may be unemployed people around doesn't mean you now have to pretend jobs don't exist.

Also this is the legal business in 2013, the jobs actually don't exist.

I'm totally cool with making this thread about making fun of AllTheLawz's terrible post but in case anyone is wondering, the real answer is just use common sense. There are about a million more interesting and less touchy things to talk about than your job status. "Hey how was your summer!?!?" is the law school equivalent of talking about the weather, except with the potential to make someone feel bad. Don't be "that guy."

J. D.

Postby J. D. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 am

Amity wrote:The offered are fortunate and that those who were passed over deserve encouragement. That said, what is the politically correct advice?

As someone who was offered late in the process I can tell you there is no politically correct way to maneuver around conversations regarding employment. I didn’t want anyone pumping sunshine up my butt by claiming I would be offered. Anyone advising me to mass-mail died instantly. A quicker death was to say 3L hiring was not an option…. anyone who is concerned does not need to hear that gem.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:05 am

ITT, people attempt to justify being insensitive fuckbags by arguing that they are not being insensitive fuckbags.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am

Void wrote:ITT, people attempt to justify being insensitive fuckbags by arguing that they are not being insensitive fuckbags.

More like, OP humblebrags about offer, one d-bag spouts off, everyone piles on, happy to have a whipping boy.
Last edited by IAFG on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:26 am

All I have to say is good luck getting through life if the simple mention of someone having a job when you don't have one hurts your feelings. I can't even imagine my feelings being hurt just because someone talks about their job. Of course, I've been dealing with real problems long before law school so maybe thats the difference.

If you honestly get upset when someone asks you "how was your summer" then you really need to take a deep internal look and figure out how to toughen up. Shit gets harder than that.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:39 am

AllTheLawz wrote:All I have to say is good luck getting through life if the simple mention of someone having a job when you don't have one hurts your feelings. I can't even imagine my feelings being hurt just because someone talks about their job. Of course, I've been dealing with real problems long before law school so maybe thats the difference.

If you honestly get upset when someone asks you "how was your summer" then you really need to take a deep internal look and figure out how to toughen up. Shit gets harder than that.

Maybe you need to honestly listen to how those conversations usually go. "It's fine to say yeah my summer was great, liked my job and I'm going back after graduation. How was your summer?"

What usually happens is a lengthy and loud conversation about all the great SA events and all the other stuff. You know how obnoxious people are about their summers and their great job. It is really too much. Read the vale thread, there are some good examples of the endless references to jobs and money people post on Facebook or tweet about.

But it is better to not ask people and let them tell you if they want. Let people volunteer. And most people ask because they want to talk about themselves, not because they genuinely care about the other person.

You don't seem to have any sense of how hard it is to not have a job as a 3 L and the long slog to find any job at all anywhere in the country. It is a devastating experience for people so don't minize it as no big deal. Plenty of the people in your class who dont have jobs now won't graduate with jobs. They may deal with literally hundreds of rejections in their job search. Some of them may end up not ever getting a career going. Don't act like not having a job is no big deal.
Last edited by NYstate on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”