Dropping off application material in person Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dropping off application material in person

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:14 pm

There is a firm in a nearby market that I am really interested in. I have reasons to believe that I am a good candidate for them (they gave me a CB last year but for reasons too long to explain here I never made it. ).

Rather than merely emailing my application material, is there any value in suiting up, showing up there, asking to see the recruiter and handing her my resume package in person? Or is tht too aggressive? I am confident I make a good impression in person, and can't really think of any downside.

Firm is a market-paying 100+ atty firm in a major market.

I'm a 3L.

Thoughts?

TooOld4This

Silver

Re: Dropping application material in person

Post by TooOld4This » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Downside is that you don't consider the recruiter's time to be valuable and interrupt their day with a task that is more efficiently handled by email. Not to mention that hard copy documents make more work for them.

A more effective approach would have been to have reached out to attorneys off cycle to discuss their firm and practice area and be able to now send your materials to them. (Not that this helps you, but I assume 1Ls lurk in this forum).

theteamteamteam

New

Re: Dropping off application material in person

Post by theteamteamteam » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Hand delivering your application materials is a great way to show that you are genuinely interested. Firms are flooded with emailed applications and providing a hard copy makes it less easy for your resume be deleted on a whim (we've all deleted emails that have sat in our inboxes for some time just to get rid of the clutter). Definitely do it. Then, follow up with an email to be sure that your application was received, and provide your availability in the event that the firm would like to schedule an interview.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is a firm in a nearby market that I am really interested in. I have reasons to believe that I am a good candidate for them (they gave me a CB last year but for reasons too long to explain here I never made it. ).

Rather than merely emailing my application material, is there any value in suiting up, showing up there, asking to see the recruiter and handing her my resume package in person? Or is tht too aggressive? I am confident I make a good impression in person, and can't really think of any downside.

I'm a 3L.

Thoughts?
No, that is strange. No one does that. Email or call and ask for an appointment first. Don't just drop by.

They would most likely just ask you to leave it with the receptionist anyway. So you would be doing something weird for no benefit.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:55 pm

I say it's unlikely to help in a large firm -- they probably have a pretty systematic, efficient way of handling apps and it's unlikely to even get to the person making the decision that you showed up in person. OTOH hard to imagine it hurting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:56 am

OP here. Thanks for the replies so far. It seems that opinions are all over the place. Should've made a poll!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:37 pm

Do you plan on dropping it off at the firm's office? The firm I worked at previously looked down upon doing so (I was involved in recruiting).

If you mean dropping it off with an interviewer/recruiter at OCI, then it's totally fine as long as the firm is accepting resume drop offs. I'd definitely recommend doing this if it's an option for you. I received a bunch of extra interviews this way.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is a firm in a nearby market that I am really interested in. I have reasons to believe that I am a good candidate for them (they gave me a CB last year but for reasons too long to explain here I never made it. ).

I'm a 3L.

Thoughts?
You interviewed last year? Don't you have the contact information of the partners from last year? You should contact them directly via email or phone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”