Biglaw Emergency Situation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mce252

Biglaw Emergency Situation

Postby Mce252 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:46 pm

So I'm currently finishing my summer in biglaw and I just had an emergency arise. I've been working with one of the most senior partners at the firm on a deal for the past week. I've been in and out of his office, along with dozens of others as well. This particular partner happens to keep a collection of valuable coins in his office. This morning, I was in there discussing something with him, when he looked behind me for a moment, looked at the table where the coins are displayed, and then looked at me and said "You f***ing took my coins didn't you?" I guess several of them are missing.

Of course, I didn't, but he stormed out of the office and left me sitting there for forty-five minutes. I went back to my office, have sent him an email, and haven't heard from him since.

Advice?

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw Emergency Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I'm currently finishing my summer in biglaw and I just had an emergency arise. I've been working with one of the most senior partners at the firm on a deal for the past week. I've been in and out of his office, along with dozens of others as well. This particular partner happens to keep a collection of valuable coins in his office. This morning, I was in there discussing something with him, when he looked behind me for a moment, looked at the table where the coins are displayed, and then looked at me and said "You f***ing took my coins didn't you?" I guess several of them are missing.

Of course, I didn't, but he stormed out of the office and left me sitting there for forty-five minutes. I went back to my office, have sent him an email, and haven't heard from him since.

Advice?

He sounds like a god damn psychopath. Honestly I don't even know how one would deal with this situation. Offer to speak to younger associates to help him out? All you can do is make it abundantly clear it wasn't you and you are happy to assist.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I'm currently finishing my summer in biglaw and I just had an emergency arise. I've been working with one of the most senior partners at the firm on a deal for the past week. I've been in and out of his office, along with dozens of others as well. This particular partner happens to keep a collection of valuable coins in his office. This morning, I was in there discussing something with him, when he looked behind me for a moment, looked at the table where the coins are displayed, and then looked at me and said "You f***ing took my coins didn't you?" I guess several of them are missing.

Advice?

He sounds like a god damn psychopath. Honestly I don't even know how one would deal with this situation. Offer to speak to younger associates to help him out? All you can do is make it abundantly clear it wasn't you and you are happy to assist.

I hope you said no. I would go to a sane partner on the recruiting committee with your concern IF the accuser-partner doesn't speak to you within a couple hours. And by "go to" I mean go in his office, close the door, and tell him exactly what happened and that you are very concerned. If you choose the right partner and the accuser-partner is known as a loose cannon, the one you speak to is best able to handle it and may be able to help. All depends on intrafirm politics, though.
Last edited by BeenDidThat on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Advice?

OP here. So if I think I know the associate that took them, should I rat on him/her to save myself? Several people have now stopped by my office to ask if I stole coins from partner X....

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Advice?

OP here. So if I think I know the associate that took them, should I rat on him/her to save myself? Several people have now stopped by my office to ask if I stole coins from partner X....

Why do you think you know? I probably wouldn't volunteer anything, but would reply with what I KNOW if asked. No speculation.
Last edited by BeenDidThat on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Advice?

Nooooooo. BeenDidThat's advice is spot on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:13 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Advice?

I hope you said no. I would go to a sane partner on the recruiting committee with your concern IF the accuser-partner doesn't speak to you the rest of the day. And by "go to" I mean go in his office, close the door, and tell him exactly what happened and that you are very concerned. If you choose the right partner and the accuser-partner is known as a loose cannon, the one you speak to is best able to handle it and may be able to help. All depends on intrafirm politics, though.

I think this is the best advice. I would do this regardless of whether you know the thief or not.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:13 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Advice?

I hope you said no. I would go to a sane partner on the recruiting committee with your concern IF the accuser-partner doesn't speak to you the rest of the day. And by "go to" I mean go in his office, close the door, and tell him exactly what happened and that you are very concerned. If you choose the right partner and the accuser-partner is known as a loose cannon, the one you speak to is best able to handle it and may be able to help. All depends on intrafirm politics, though.

For the love of god, do this. And only rat out the person you think did it if you don't want to bother taking the bar next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Advice?

I think this is the best advice. I would do this regardless of whether you know the thief or not.

OP Here: The recruiting committee has several level-headed partners, but the partner accusing me of theft works extremely closely with all of them and he is generally regarded as a very honorable and trustworthy man (he used to be the managing partner here). Plus, the only other partner associated with recruiting is out of town.

Should I send out a firm-wide email about this instead?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20 pm

No no no no no. Firm wide emails are not usually a good move.

guano

Postby guano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Do NOT send out a firm-wide email, under any circumstances

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:22 pm

jesus christ do not do that

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Do NOT send out a firm-wide email. Do you not read ATL often enough to realize that you could turn a small incident into an infamous career-harming event if you do that? You need to speak with someone from recruiting, a partner you trust, or maybe try and speak with the guy himself and see why the hell he thinks he stole anything from him.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:25 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:jesus christ do not do that

Seriously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:25 pm

I would approach the accuser and convey (and emphasize) that it was not you. Furthermore, don't volunteer information that is not supported by evidence.

What a crappy situation.

Best of luck!

maximator

Postby maximator » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Oh come on, this has to be trolling.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 pm

maximator wrote:Oh come on, this has to be trolling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:47 pm

NinerFan wrote:
maximator wrote:Oh come on, this has to be trolling.

I wanted to think that, but then I remembered the amount of bat shit crazy people in this business.

nyg22

Postby nyg22 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Actually believed the troll until the firm-wide email suggestion. You had us all going...

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:57 pm

This sounds like a fucking MBE fact pattern.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm wondering why he'd wait multiple HOURS, while people are coming by and mentioning that they heard he stole the coins, without even attempting any damage control. Nobody who managed to get a SA is that stupid, right? Right?

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 pm

9/10 troll. the firm-wide email bit gave it away. save that until the very end next time

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I'm wondering why he'd wait multiple HOURS, while people are coming by and mentioning that they heard he stole the coins, without even attempting any damage control. Nobody who managed to get a SA is that stupid, right? Right?

Thus why part of me believes this might be real.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

He might just be fucking with you

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'm wondering why he'd wait multiple HOURS, while people are coming by and mentioning that they heard he stole the coins, without even attempting any damage control. Nobody who managed to get a SA is that stupid, right? Right?

Thus why part of me believes this might be real.

sick anon.

also, how in the world could that possibly make you think he's not trolling?

Return to “Legal Employment”