What do you do when law students email you at work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cls.2014

New

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Post by cls.2014 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:12 am

post about it on top-law-students.com.

gtz

New

Post by gtz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:13 am

Thank you to all the current attorneys for posting. I've done about 30 informational interviews with about 15 being from cold emailing. Is it okay after we get our OCI schedule and see the interviewer to email the attorney I previously meet with and ask there advice on the person and if they can make a call to the person or recuriting on your behalf. I always seem to have good meetings the attorneys and they end with the attorney saying feel free to contact me again with anything else. I just don't want to ruin a lukewarm relationship by being to forward.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 am

Not yet a lawyer, but I've referred people for jobs in prior roles. The first time, I sent out an email to my sorority letting them know my firm was hiring entry-level support staff (paying it forward, as I had gotten the job that way). A couple of the girls asked me to pass along resumes of people I don't know (a roommate and a boyfriend). I did it, but regretted it. Nothing bad happened (other than an awkward exchange with my manager), but by passing along their resumes, I was putting my reputation on the line. Neither were ultimately hired (one got an offer but turned it down), but if they had been and were awful, that would reflect poorly on me.

That's not to say you shouldn't refer acquaintances (to insulate against a downside, just be up front about how well you know then). You should, and depending on your firm, you may even get a referral bonus for those who are hired and stay a certain length of time. But meet them first. Feel free to be selective in responding to people, too, as your time is valuable. But meet with at least one or two.

As for the process of actually referring someone, it'll probably vary by firm. This time of year--particularly for rising 2Ls--talk to the recruiting manager for your office if you want to pass along a person's materials. If you know the hiring partner (or even if you don't), you could also just ask him/her what to do.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a little confused why the OP is shocked about this. Apart from the tackless law students that send their resumes, it is known that people usually contact attorneys (especially junior associates) for advice about OCI. I spoke to a partner that said one of the reasons that junior attorneys have bios on his firm's reason is for this exact reason.
Thank you for repeating IAFG

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a little confused why the OP is shocked about this. Apart from the tackless law students that send their resumes, it is known that people usually contact attorneys (especially junior associates) for advice about OCI. I spoke to a partner that said one of the reasons that junior attorneys have bios on his firm's reason is for this exact reason.

I'm actually a 0L but have been calling partners/associates etc at firms i'm interested in who either attended my UG or my LS but to get a better feel about where i will be attending and how it prepared them for their current role at the firm. It's gone over great and landed calls with a number of T15 firms. a few partners told me to let them know how the year is going and they'll see what they can do to help me out.

Now maybe they were being nice and i'm too naive, but still, so far so good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:39 pm

I've gotten a pretty low response rate for this so far emailing random partners who are alums from my school,
even though I personalize "Im interested in such and such practice area" to what the partner does. I've only emailed ones who actually work in areas Im interested in too, so Im not BSing about that part or anything. I've also gotten ignored when I say something like "we spoke at X networking event" or "I heard the talk you gave at X". Maybe Im emailing the wrong people and should be reaching out to midlevel associates instead of partners? Dunno.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten a pretty low response rate for this so far emailing random partners who are alums from my school,
even though I personalize "Im interested in such and such practice area" to what the partner does. I've only emailed ones who actually work in areas Im interested in too, so Im not BSing about that part or anything. I've also gotten ignored when I say something like "we spoke at X networking event" or "I heard the talk you gave at X". Maybe Im emailing the wrong people and should be reaching out to midlevel associates instead of partners? Dunno.
As a general tip, reach out immediately after (within 24 hours, ideally the evening following) of the event to make the contact. It's easier said than done, but it's a best practice I picked up in the theater industry that I've found translates well to law.

As for the rest, just keep swimming. Maybe find more specific points to connect on. If you can just meet people generally who can connect you with other people, that usually helps. (I randomly sat next to the father of a hiring partner on a MegaBus once, which got me an OCI screener I may not have gotten otherwise).

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:28 pm

I'm not sure what stage of his career OP is at but a lot of people I've found have been willing to me for people and will respond to a well worded email... I've gotten phone conversations from named partners at top vault firms from unsolicited mails and cold calls, and got the summer position I ended up accepting through one of those so I really don't see how mass mailing can hurt. Then again I've done my share of selling and can make a decent elevator pitch... I also got an interview at a V5 from riding on the train with a managing partner's secretary... I just think dissuading people from reaching out is pretty terrible advice...

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:48 pm

I have sent this out to a number of alumni/random associates and have gotten a ton of responses. I never send my resume but most ask for me to send it along after the coffee meeting. It almost always goes well when we meet and they all know the game and compliment me on the initiative. I get great info on everything from classes and teachers, their career, inside info on the firm, interview tips. We will see if pays off in another couple months but I believe it has been a positive.

Dear X

I recently finished my first year at X School of Law and am interested in construction litigation and employment law. Prior to attending law school, I worked in the heavy construction industry as X at X (relevant position at a large company in the region).

I realize that you have a very busy schedule. However, I was wondering if you might have ten minutes to spare for coffee. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your work at X and to ask for your advice about my future career.

I would be happy to work around your schedule to set up a time to talk.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and I hope to talk with you soon.

Sincerely,

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:25 am

atcushman wrote:I have sent this out to a number of alumni/random associates and have gotten a ton of responses. I never send my resume but most ask for me to send it along after the coffee meeting. It almost always goes well when we meet and they all know the game and compliment me on the initiative. I get great info on everything from classes and teachers, their career, inside info on the firm, interview tips. We will see if pays off in another couple months but I believe it has been a positive.

Dear X

I recently finished my first year at X School of Law and am interested in construction litigation and employment law. Prior to attending law school, I worked in the heavy construction industry as X at X (relevant position at a large company in the region).

I realize that you have a very busy schedule. However, I was wondering if you might have ten minutes to spare for coffee. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your work at X and to ask for your advice about my future career.

Sincerely,
This is exactly the kind of email that creeps me out.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
atcushman wrote:I have sent this out to a number of alumni/random associates and have gotten a ton of responses. I never send my resume but most ask for me to send it along after the coffee meeting. It almost always goes well when we meet and they all know the game and compliment me on the initiative. I get great info on everything from classes and teachers, their career, inside info on the firm, interview tips. We will see if pays off in another couple months but I believe it has been a positive.

Dear X

Sincerely,
Why?

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:37 am

MoonDreamer wrote:

Dear X

Sincerely,
Meh...then dont respond, but could you elaborate on what is creepy about it? To me its a lot less creepy and sleezy than the "networking" events the school puts one where 100 students swarm 6 associates. How did you network?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:39 am

OMG guise, you know when people who don't have jobs are proactive about trying to get jobs? Fucking creeps. How do I get rid of them?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:49 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:

Dear X

Sincerely,
Why?

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:03 am

IAFG wrote:OMG guise, you know when people who don't have jobs are proactive about trying to get jobs? Fucking creeps. How do I get rid of them?
#employedpeopleproblems.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:14 am

A good email would say something like

"Bob,

I am a recent law graduate looking for a job in commercial litigation and noticed the firm has this practice area. I noticed you practice in this area as well. Do you have any advice for someone who is trying to break into this area?

Any advice would be appreciated. And of course if you are aware of any open positions, I would greatly appreciate the tip

Thanks

The casual tone puts me at ease. And this guy doesn't sound desperate, which also helps.
Last edited by MoonDreamer on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:15 am

Haha yeah people phrase things differently than you would

better break out the fire hose and tear gas to beat back the unwashed masses

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:15 am

MoonDreamer wrote:A good email would say something like

"Bob,

I am a recent law graduate looking for a job in commercial litigation and noticed the firm has this practice area. I noticed you practice in this area as well. Do you have any advice for someone who is trying to break into this area?

Any advice would be appreciated. And of course if you are aware of any open positions, I would greatly appreciate the tip

Thanks
So your problem with the other e-mails is that they're too polite?

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:29 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:A good email would say something like

"Bob,

Thanks
So your problem with the other e-mails is that they're too polite?
No just needs to convey some sort of non-desperation. I used to write those same formal and deferential emails. Now that I'm reading them, this is how I see it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:33 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
No just needs to convey some sort of non-desperation. I used to write those same formal and deferential emails. Now that I'm reading them, this is how I see it.
Through cunt-colored glasses?

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:34 am

I don't get you lunar dreamer, in the TTT success stories post you write:
MoonDreamer wrote:Bottom of my tier 3 class and I made it. Connections. Networking.
Essentially, by your own admission it appears that you got into a job that your school and grades should have shut you out of by connections and networking yet you seem to take umbrage at others doing the same thing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:41 am

helfer snooterbagon wrote:I don't get you lunar dreamer, in the TTT success stories post you write:
MoonDreamer wrote:Bottom of my tier 3 class and I made it. Connections. Networking.
Essentially, by your own admission it appears that you got into a job that your school and grades should have shut you out of by connections and networking yet you seem to take umbrage at others doing the same thing.
I get it now. Like a fat chick who looses a bunch of weight then wont shut up about fat people in the gym and is always taking self shots...are you making a duck face in your firm profile pic?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:50 am

I did this kind of thing, and lots of people were happy to chat with me. Of course a few ignored, but most were happy to help. One chatted with me, and was all like "your email sounded insincere, and seemed like a copy and paste job", and I wanted to be like "you can only ask for a quick informational telephone call in so many ways"

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:50 am

helfer snooterbagon wrote:I don't get you lunar dreamer, in the TTT success stories post you write:
You sounds like you're going to make a great plaintiffs atty. all I'm saying is it should be done with tact. Networking and connections are key.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did this kind of thing, and lots of people were happy to chat with me. Of course a few ignored, but most were happy to help. One chatted with me, and was all like "your email sounded insincere, and seemed like a copy and paste job", and I wanted to be like "you can only ask for a quick informational telephone call in so many ways"
Yeah tell him you think he's wrong. This is what I mean. That was a perfect opportunity to feed his ego.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”