Norcal firms that interview 3Ls Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Norcal firms that interview 3Ls

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:20 am

I'm a summer at a firm in Norcal right now. I was told that there is a chance I cannot get into the dept I want because they may not have the need for extra people in that department. I would like to look around at some other firms in the area.

I've heard that Cooley interviews 3Ls. Is there a chance I can just mass mail and set up something with them and other firms while I am in the area?

I don't think I have messed up with the firm I'm currently at and hope to get an offer from them. However, they let us know about offers a couple of weeks after the internship ends and I will be gone by then. I hope to set up some interviews before I know whether I got an offer.

How do I go about telling firms that? Can I be honest and just say that I'm looking to do an area of law that my current firm probably doesn't have needs for?

Also, I've heard that the Norcal market is pretty small and people talk. Is there some way I can avoid that? I don't want my current firm to know just yet that I'm looking. I don't even know that I want to leave but just want to keep my options open.

Anonymous User

Re: Norcal firms that interview 3Ls

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm a summer at a firm in Norcal right now. I was told that there is a chance I cannot get into the dept I want because they may not have the need for extra people in that department. I would like to look around at some other firms in the area.
It would help if you mentioned what department you're trying to get into.
Anonymous User wrote:
I've heard that Cooley interviews 3Ls. Is there a chance I can just mass mail and set up something with them and other firms while I am in the area?
Mass mail to your heart's delight. I believe Latham, SullCrom, and Sidley are also interviewing 3Ls in SF.
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't think I have messed up with the firm I'm currently at and hope to get an offer from them. However, they let us know about offers a couple of weeks after the internship ends and I will be gone by then. I hope to set up some interviews before I know whether I got an offer.

How do I go about telling firms that? Can I be honest and just say that I'm looking to do an area of law that my current firm probably doesn't have needs for?

Also, I've heard that the Norcal market is pretty small and people talk. Is there some way I can avoid that? I don't want my current firm to know just yet that I'm looking. I don't even know that I want to leave but just want to keep my options open.
I personally wouldn't tell them before they make an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:

yeah I def don't want to tell them before I get an offer, but what if they hear about it? It seems like so many attorneys here are friends with people from other firms...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

yeah I def don't want to tell them before I get an offer, but what if they hear about it? It seems like so many attorneys here are friends with people from other firms...
It happens. I doubt you'll get no offered for it if they really wanted to keep you in the first place. No-offers are generally for individuals the firm would not have hired anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”