Let's talk LA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Current LA SA wanting to help out people preparing bid lists. Other people with knowledge of L.A. firms please feel free to contribute.

Rising 2Ls, what questions do you have about the LA market?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current LA SA wanting to help out people preparing bid lists. Other people with knowledge of L.A. firms please feel free to contribute.

Rising 2Ls, what questions do you have about the LA market?


Thinking commercial litigation but very much leaving the door open for corporate/transactional work. Good grades at T-14 w/ties. What are the top firms to bid?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Transfer student at Berk. Straight As 1L year at a T50. From Southern California and went to UCI for undergrad. Brother/sister/uncle/etc live in LA. Interested in transactional work.

Any suggestions on which firms to bid? Do I have a shot at places like Irell?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Current LA SA wanting to help out people preparing bid lists. Other people with knowledge of L.A. firms please feel free to contribute.

Rising 2Ls, what questions do you have about the LA market?


Thinking commercial litigation but very much leaving the door open for corporate/transactional work. Good grades at T-14 w/ties. What are the top firms to bid?


OP here. I focused on litigation so anyone feel free to correct me here. I would focus on Gibson Dunn, which is probably the best overall firm in LA, O'Melveny which I think is also well rounded. I would also focus on the NY satellites like S&C, Simpson, and Skadden. You might also consider Munger, but they lean heavily toward litigation so I would have them a bit further down if you really want to keep the transactional door open.

My advice though, FWIW, is to approach it based on litigation practices if you are leaning that way, although that advice is difficult to follow.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer student at Berk. Straight As 1L year at a T50. From Southern California and went to UCI for undergrad. Brother/sister/uncle/etc live in LA. Interested in transactional work.

Any suggestions on which firms to bid? Do I have a shot at places like Irell?


OP here. I would not go to Irell if you are interested in transactional work, as they are basically a litigation boutique, although I think they do a small amount of transactional stuff. Focus on other firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 pm

(Different LA summer than OP.)

I definitely agree with OP that you should probably stay away from Irell if you are interested in transactional. I think they have some niche transactional practices (art?) so maybe if you were really into the areas that they do, but other than that I don't see why someone interested in transactional would head there.

Also +1 to GDC as probably the best overall general practice firm in LA. If you are even healthily considering transactional I'd lean away from the lit focused places (MTO, Irell, Susman, Quinn, etc).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(Different LA summer than OP.)

I definitely agree with OP that you should probably stay away from Irell if you are interested in transactional. I think they have some niche transactional practices (art?) so maybe if you were really into the areas that they do, but other than that I don't see why someone interested in transactional would head there.

Also +1 to GDC as probably the best overall general practice firm in LA. If you are even healthily considering transactional I'd lean away from the lit focused places (MTO, Irell, Susman, Quinn, etc).


Any idea how quickly one person can move between offices w/GD? I'm bidding both the LA and SF offices and was curious if I ended up in the Bay what my options would be like if I decided I wanted to move down at some point.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Transfer student at Berk. Straight As 1L year at a T50. From Southern California and went to UCI for undergrad. Brother/sister/uncle/etc live in LA. Interested in transactional work.

Any suggestions on which firms to bid? Do I have a shot at places like Irell?


OP here. I would not go to Irell if you are interested in transactional work, as they are basically a litigation boutique, although I think they do a small amount of transactional stuff. Focus on other firms.


Good to know, thanks. Any suggestions as to which firms in the LA area are more focused on the transactional side of things? A lot of the bigger firms promote themselves as full-service and I'm having a hard timing figuring out what each specific office does.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:(Different LA summer than OP.)

I definitely agree with OP that you should probably stay away from Irell if you are interested in transactional. I think they have some niche transactional practices (art?) so maybe if you were really into the areas that they do, but other than that I don't see why someone interested in transactional would head there.

Also +1 to GDC as probably the best overall general practice firm in LA. If you are even healthily considering transactional I'd lean away from the lit focused places (MTO, Irell, Susman, Quinn, etc).


Any idea how quickly one person can move between offices w/GD? I'm bidding both the LA and SF offices and was curious if I ended up in the Bay what my options would be like if I decided I wanted to move down at some point.

I have no clue what GDC's policy and practice on switching offices is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Transfer student at Berk. Straight As 1L year at a T50. From Southern California and went to UCI for undergrad. Brother/sister/uncle/etc live in LA. Interested in transactional work.

Any suggestions on which firms to bid? Do I have a shot at places like Irell?


OP here. I would not go to Irell if you are interested in transactional work, as they are basically a litigation boutique, although I think they do a small amount of transactional stuff. Focus on other firms.


Good to know, thanks. Any suggestions as to which firms in the LA area are more focused on the transactional side of things? A lot of the bigger firms promote themselves as full-service and I'm having a hard timing figuring out what each specific office does.


(OP). See my post above. I wasn't focused on transactional work but I got the sense that those are the main players.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Thoughts about LA for an international rising 2L at H/Y with good grades, several previous legal internships but no non-internship WE? Would really like to work in LA, but would big LA firms hire someone who'd need an H1B? 99% sure I want to do litigation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts about LA for an international rising 2L at H/Y with good grades, several previous legal internships but no non-internship WE? Would really like to work in LA, but would big LA firms hire someone who'd need an H1B? 99% sure I want to do litigation.


(OP). I'm not sure why this would be different for LA firms as opposed to NY firms. I would highly recommend lA though it is a great city. I'm also at HYS with good grades and options and I'm very glad I chose L.A. Good grades and school will definitely trump a lack of work exp. That isn't a big deal. I know lots of people with no work exp that did great at OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts about LA for an international rising 2L at H/Y with good grades, several previous legal internships but no non-internship WE? Would really like to work in LA, but would big LA firms hire someone who'd need an H1B? 99% sure I want to do litigation.


(OP). I'm not sure why this would be different for LA firms as opposed to NY firms. I would highly recommend lA though it is a great city. I'm also at HYS with good grades and options and I'm very glad I chose L.A. Good grades and school will definitely trump a lack of work exp. That isn't a big deal. I know lots of people with no work exp that did great at OCI.


Any thoughts specifically on the international issue? Seen any international SAs around?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Seems like you all have ties but thoughts on bidding LA for someone with no real ties? I'm at H with slightly above median grades and just got LR. Is an interest in labor and employment law and a desire to practice in CA because of its unique labor laws a good enough reason for most firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems like you all have ties but thoughts on bidding LA for someone with no real ties? I'm at H with slightly above median grades and just got LR. Is an interest in labor and employment law and a desire to practice in CA because of its unique labor laws a good enough reason for most firms?


I'd guess making it clear you've done your research is a good thing. Have an answer to questions like which neighborhood you'd like to live in, etc. It may be a bigger issue at smaller firms, since they're more likely to want people who are in it for the long haul.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:23 am

(OP). Also Latham is top tier for L.A. corporate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 am

I'm a rising 2L at University of Georgia, looking at firms in LA (litigation, preferably). My only tie to the area is my significant other lives there. I'm top 20 percent, almost top 15 with law review and some good WE. I've already received one interview from my targeted non-OCI applications but I'm not sure if that's a fluke. Any firms in particular I should be focusing on? Do I even have a shot?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2L at University of Georgia, looking at firms in LA (litigation, preferably). My only tie to the area is my significant other lives there. I'm top 20 percent, almost top 15 with law review and some good WE. I've already received one interview from my targeted non-OCI applications but I'm not sure if that's a fluke. Any firms in particular I should be focusing on? Do I even have a shot?


Not OP, but a biglaw summer from UCLA/USC. The only non-T14, non-UCLA/USC (and UT) schools I seen represented in the LA market are CA schools. Predominantly Loyola or Pepperdine (and even then, only the tip-top of the class) OR maybe UCI/Hastings/Davis. Ties and school are important here. It's too bad you don't have time to try and transfer because if you really want LA, that would be my best advice for how to get it. I would guess you would need to be in the top 10 PEOPLE (not percent) of your class to even have a shot here.

Caveat: Depending on what you mean by "good WE," the above may be a bit strong, but I still doubt your chances. Seems like you would have a much better shot at your local big market - Atlanta.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Bottom of class at DCNG, strong ties to LA. Suggestions for firms to massmail?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bottom of class at DCNG, strong ties to LA. Suggestions for firms to massmail?


Depends on what you mean by "bottom of the class" - do you mean just below/slightly below median, or seriously bottom like under 3.0? If you are that low, be hopeful but definitely don't hang your hat on getting a job in LA.

I would target firms that are more median focused that may perhaps dip down (I say this totally speculatively because I have no idea how low they would go for Cornell) - Bingham, DLA Piper, Goodwin Procter, Holland & Knight, K&L Gates, Mayer Brown etc. Conkle I know has a lower GPA cutoff.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bottom of class at DCNG, strong ties to LA. Suggestions for firms to massmail?


Depends on what you mean by "bottom of the class" - do you mean just below/slightly below median, or seriously bottom like under 3.0? If you are that low, be hopeful but definitely don't hang your hat on getting a job in LA.

I would target firms that are more median focused that may perhaps dip down (I say this totally speculatively because I have no idea how low they would go for Cornell) - Bingham, DLA Piper, Goodwin Procter, Holland & Knight, K&L Gates, Mayer Brown etc. Conkle I know has a lower GPA cutoff.

less than .1 below 3.0.

Probably wrong but i thought MB wanted high GPAs. What about smaller CA-only firms....are there any that hire SAs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bottom of class at DCNG, strong ties to LA. Suggestions for firms to massmail?


Depends on what you mean by "bottom of the class" - do you mean just below/slightly below median, or seriously bottom like under 3.0? If you are that low, be hopeful but definitely don't hang your hat on getting a job in LA.

I would target firms that are more median focused that may perhaps dip down (I say this totally speculatively because I have no idea how low they would go for Cornell) - Bingham, DLA Piper, Goodwin Procter, Holland & Knight, K&L Gates, Mayer Brown etc. Conkle I know has a lower GPA cutoff.

less than .1 below 3.0.

Probably wrong but i thought MB wanted high GPAs. What about smaller CA-only firms....are there any that hire SAs?


I was under the impression that MB was fairly selective with regards to GPA, as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bottom of class at DCNG, strong ties to LA. Suggestions for firms to massmail?


Depends on what you mean by "bottom of the class" - do you mean just below/slightly below median, or seriously bottom like under 3.0? If you are that low, be hopeful but definitely don't hang your hat on getting a job in LA.

I would target firms that are more median focused that may perhaps dip down (I say this totally speculatively because I have no idea how low they would go for Cornell) - Bingham, DLA Piper, Goodwin Procter, Holland & Knight, K&L Gates, Mayer Brown etc. Conkle I know has a lower GPA cutoff.

less than .1 below 3.0.

Probably wrong but i thought MB wanted high GPAs. What about smaller CA-only firms....are there any that hire SAs?


Ok yeah, below 3.0 is gonna be rough, especially from a bottom T14 not in CA. I secured my position through OCI, so I am at a loss to recommend smaller LA firms, though there are obviously many out there. Based on anecdotal evidence from friends who eventually found jobs post-OCI, I think the problem with small firms is that either a) they don't hire SAs or b) they do hire SAs, but pay very little and there is no chance it will turn into a permanent offer because they simply don't have the need.

Check out some of the general CA massmailing advice on this site - I am sure if you run a search it will come up. That is probably your best shot at getting your foot in the door somewhere. It also presumes you aren't picky about the type of work you will do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bottom of class at DCNG, strong ties to LA. Suggestions for firms to massmail?


Depends on what you mean by "bottom of the class" - do you mean just below/slightly below median, or seriously bottom like under 3.0? If you are that low, be hopeful but definitely don't hang your hat on getting a job in LA.

I would target firms that are more median focused that may perhaps dip down (I say this totally speculatively because I have no idea how low they would go for Cornell) - Bingham, DLA Piper, Goodwin Procter, Holland & Knight, K&L Gates, Mayer Brown etc. Conkle I know has a lower GPA cutoff.

less than .1 below 3.0.

Probably wrong but i thought MB wanted high GPAs. What about smaller CA-only firms....are there any that hire SAs?


I was under the impression that MB was fairly selective with regards to GPA, as well.


The Mayer Brown office in LA is a pretty small satellite office, so perhaps their standards are less rigid for LA? The UCLA/USC cutoff is 3.3, FWIW.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's talk LA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2L at University of Georgia, looking at firms in LA (litigation, preferably). My only tie to the area is my significant other lives there. I'm top 20 percent, almost top 15 with law review and some good WE. I've already received one interview from my targeted non-OCI applications but I'm not sure if that's a fluke. Any firms in particular I should be focusing on? Do I even have a shot?


SO living in LA is a local tie.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.