2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymous2012
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:04 pm

2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Postby anonymous2012 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Wow. Just wow. Well, if you want a career track position at Justice without a COA clerkship do not bother applying.

http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/entry-participants.html

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: 2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Postby gdane » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Trying to scare off the competition, eh. :wink:

JusticeJackson
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Re: 2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Postby JusticeJackson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:27 pm

.
Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22845
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: 2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Wow, 30 hires outside of EOIR. (EOIR looks relatively comparable to last year, though? Can't remember exactly.) And no USAOs hiring officially.

Would be very curious to see the credentials of the person who gets the lone Civil Rights position...

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:00 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:01 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: 2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:17 pm

FWIW: I've already been told by multiple DOJ Honors interviewers at DOJ that you shouldn't even bother applying without an Article III clerkship, and you're already behind the curve if it's a district clerkship.

Citizen Genet
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Re: 2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:FWIW: I've already been told by multiple DOJ Honors interviewers at DOJ that you shouldn't even bother applying without an Article III clerkship, and you're already behind the curve if it's a district clerkship.


I've heard you definitely want/need a clerkship to get hired. But whether it's district or appellate -- from everything I've heard talking from multiple people there -- depends entirely on the component and division. Most of the civil divisions (especially Fed Programs and Appeals) are going to practically require an appellate clerkship. Civil rights is the same. The criminal divisions, however, prefer district court clerkships.

And for what it's worth, I've talked to a few at antitrust who say that clerkships are less important than demonstrated interest, good background in economics, and stellar grades. A clerkship will be icing, but isn't as necessary as the other components.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:I've heard you definitely want/need a clerkship to get hired. But whether it's district or appellate -- from everything I've heard talking from multiple people there -- depends entirely on the component and division. Most of the civil divisions (especially Fed Programs and Appeals) are going to practically require an appellate clerkship. Civil rights is the same. The criminal divisions, however, prefer district court clerkships.

I have heard this, too - that the criminal divisions are sometimes concerned that if you've done an appellate clerkship, you will be more inclined to want to sit at a desk and delve deeply into research/writing of complex issues than to get into the courtroom and handle routine stuff.

On the other hand, though, I know a COA clerk who got hired in the criminal division last year, so it's clearly not a hard-and-fast rule.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: 2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:FWIW: I've already been told by multiple DOJ Honors interviewers at DOJ that you shouldn't even bother applying without an Article III clerkship, and you're already behind the curve if it's a district clerkship.


I've heard you definitely want/need a clerkship to get hired. But whether it's district or appellate -- from everything I've heard talking from multiple people there -- depends entirely on the component and division. Most of the civil divisions (especially Fed Programs and Appeals) are going to practically require an appellate clerkship. Civil rights is the same. The criminal divisions, however, prefer district court clerkships.

And for what it's worth, I've talked to a few at antitrust who say that clerkships are less important than demonstrated interest, good background in economics, and stellar grades. A clerkship will be icing, but isn't as necessary as the other components.

Yes, I should've been more precise. Some of the Criminal offices are interested in people with district clerkships (but some of the Crim offices do prefer CoA, and it's not just Crim Appellate). I was merely speaking generally from the Honors interviewing attorneys at the different divisions that I've spoken to.

Citizen Genet
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Re: 2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Man, so I just compared the numbers. For long-term positions (this excludes EOIR, BOP, and a few others) here's the trend over the past 5 years (dates for interviewing year):

2009: 83-92
2010: 84-100
2011: 38-40
2012: 64-71
2013: 24

So 2011 was a really bad year. And this year they're only hiring 60% of what they did for that abysmal cycle. And there isn't a single USAO hiring. Rough. To say the least.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 DOJ Honors Hiring Numbers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:40 am

Sad face. I can kiss my dream of working at the DOJ ENRD goodbye it seems....




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.