NYU EIW Madness 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recent grad here. Two pieces of advice.

1. Worry about things you can control. Don't sweat the fact that EIW is too late, your callbacks are too late, etc. It will come out in the wash, even though right now it's frustrating that you don't have offers and folks at HLS or CLS or whatever might. It's definitely too early to worry. (It is not too early to mass mail, though.)
2. Don't get lulled into thinking that the CSO is useless. They are actually excellent. If they're "unhelpful" now, it's because you're being neurotic and it's too soon for them do anything for you. But if it gets to be late September or October and you're offerless, USE THEM. Irene really fights for students, and actually does seem to have some influence with getting firms to hire students they might be borderline on.
Can you tell us a little bit more about #2 and how that process works? is this people who are waiting to hear back post-screener or post-cb or both? If it's post-screener, obviously they would still want to do a CB before hiring right? if it's post-CB, is it firms that have put a candidate on the "maybe" list?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Is it me or is the general sentiment from what I've been hearing that NYU got screwed over this year? Are firms actually decreasing their summer classes across the board?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it me or is the general sentiment from what I've been hearing that NYU got screwed over this year? Are firms actually decreasing their summer classes across the board?
that's what I feel like too. it doesn't help for the future that peer schools like Columbia have decreased their overall class sizes in response to fewer applications, but of course NYU would never do such a thing

I actually really do find OCS useful (it depends on who you talk to), but severely, severely understaffed. From what I understand Columbia's OCS has multiple levels of review before you can even upload your resume. I bet their mock interviewing program, whatever it is, is also tons better than ours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it me or is the general sentiment from what I've been hearing that NYU got screwed over this year? Are firms actually decreasing their summer classes across the board?
that's what I feel like too. it doesn't help for the future that peer schools like Columbia have decreased their overall class sizes in response to fewer applications, but of course NYU would never do such a thing

I actually really do find OCS useful (it depends on who you talk to), but severely, severely understaffed. From what I understand Columbia's OCS has multiple levels of review before you can even upload your resume. I bet their mock interviewing program, whatever it is, is also tons better than ours.
This speculation about other schools is a bit useless and also misinformed. I worked with a lot of Columbia students this summer and they complained just as often, if not more, about their career services and its own incompetency. Their mock interview program happens much earlier in the process (and they said they didn't take it seriously because of that) and for many students was held on campus with career services employees. Ours, at least, was with real firms and real people, which I thought was SUPER helpful and was also instrumental in their fitting me into the interview schedule when I didn't originally get one through the bidding process. I am lucky enough to have received an offer, and it is with that firm.

I know a lot of people are in a really tough situation right now, but complaining about career services or class sizes is unfair considering how much work I think career services has put into making EIW run as smoothly as possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This speculation about other schools is a bit useless and also misinformed. I worked with a lot of Columbia students this summer and they complained just as often, if not more, about their career services and its own incompetency. Their mock interview program happens much earlier in the process (and they said they didn't take it seriously because of that) and for many students was held on campus with career services employees. Ours, at least, was with real firms and real people, which I thought was SUPER helpful and was also instrumental in their fitting me into the interview schedule when I didn't originally get one through the bidding process. I am lucky enough to have received an offer, and it is with that firm.

I know a lot of people are in a really tough situation right now, but complaining about career services or class sizes is unfair considering how much work I think career services has put into making EIW run as smoothly as possible.
Obviously career services works hard. I really like them, I've made copious use of them, and I find them useful. But they're understaffed. e.g., a friend of mine had them drop her from an appointment she had scheduled beforehand, because they were running late that day, and she had "already used too many of their resources." Ideally they would have the time to speak to all 2Ls who did EIW and who don't have offers yet.

And are you saying that you were able to get a screener through your mock interviewer?? Good for you if you did. But I found my mock interviewer not particularly helpful--s/he was really nice, but I think s/he didn't give more useful feedback because s/he didn't want to hurt my feelings (or they are just naturally charismatic themselves). No one in OCS cares about that, they care about doing their jobs well, which means getting you a job. I realized I was doing interviews totally wrong only after meeting with someone in OCS. Mock interviewers are really hit or miss I think, especially for people with a lot to work on in terms of interviewing skills.

I understand that you don't want us to be down on OCS. I don't think it's right to bash them either. But there is a difference between bashing them and pointing out things that we think could be improved, based on our own experiences with them. Everyone is not as lucky as you, and it would be great if you could step back and understand where some of the frustration of the rest of us coming from, instead of telling us to STFU basically.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I went to drop in hours last week and they said they were using ONLY drop in hours for EIW-related matters (i.e. no appointments). So that's a handful of people per day (and the sign up sheet fills up within 5 minutes of being able to). I found that a little ridiculous considering how large our class and how important this time is, but once I actually go into see someone, they were very helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Has anyone gotten a rejection email/snail mail from cadwalader?

AdmiralAdama

New

Post by AdmiralAdama » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I went to drop in hours last week and they said they were using ONLY drop in hours for EIW-related matters (i.e. no appointments). So that's a handful of people per day (and the sign up sheet fills up within 5 minutes of being able to). I found that a little ridiculous considering how large our class and how important this time is, but once I actually go into see someone, they were very helpful.
Can we bump the OCS complaining to another thread? I come on this one when I want to freak out about everyone else getting offers from firms that haven't even hit me up post-screener.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:49 pm

PSA: it is extremely douchey to post about your job offer(s) on facebook. share it with your close friends, not all of your classmates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Anybody from NYU who interviewed at Skadden yesterday get an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PSA: it is extremely douchey to post about your job offer(s) on facebook. share it with your close friends, not all of your classmates.
Seriously.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Latham ding snail mail (CG).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:44 pm

It is mind boggling that fully grown human beings in law school still can't figure out how dumb it looks to brag on facebook. what is the point? you either get:
1.) labeled a douche
2.) get laughed at
3.) get scorned

At no point in time will anybody admire you or say "wow he/she is amazing"!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody from NYU who interviewed at Skadden yesterday get an offer?
yes earlier today

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Obviously career services works hard. I really like them, I've made copious use of them, and I find them useful. But they're understaffed. e.g., a friend of mine had them drop her from an appointment she had scheduled beforehand, because they were running late that day, and she had "already used too many of their resources." Ideally they would have the time to speak to all 2Ls who did EIW and who don't have offers yet.

And are you saying that you were able to get a screener through your mock interviewer?? Good for you if you did. But I found my mock interviewer not particularly helpful--s/he was really nice, but I think s/he didn't give more useful feedback because s/he didn't want to hurt my feelings (or they are just naturally charismatic themselves). No one in OCS cares about that, they care about doing their jobs well, which means getting you a job. I realized I was doing interviews totally wrong only after meeting with someone in OCS. Mock interviewers are really hit or miss I think, especially for people with a lot to work on in terms of interviewing skills.

I understand that you don't want us to be down on OCS. I don't think it's right to bash them either. But there is a difference between bashing them and pointing out things that we think could be improved, based on our own experiences with them. Everyone is not as lucky as you, and it would be great if you could step back and understand where some of the frustration of the rest of us coming from, instead of telling us to STFU basically.
Do you mind sharing what you were doing wrong?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody from NYU who interviewed at Skadden yesterday get an offer?
yes earlier today
by phone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:58 pm

cahill snail mail ding, JP. on fancy watermarked paper with all of the partners listed, no less. you can at least tell me i was an excellent candidate and it was difficult to make a decision, a$$holes!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
yes earlier today
by phone?
Yes by phone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PSA: it is extremely douchey to post about your job offer(s) on facebook. share it with your close friends, not all of your classmates.
How about you don't go around friending everyone you know? Because posting about it on Facebook is a hell of a lot easier than sending thirty or forty texts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How about you don't go around friending everyone you know? Because posting about it on Facebook is a hell of a lot easier than sending thirty or forty texts.
What kind of asshole is sending out 30-40 texts about getting an offer? Keep your mouth shut except to your family unless someone asks you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What kind of asshole is sending out 30-40 texts about getting an offer? Keep your mouth shut except to your family unless someone asks you.
Sorry you don't have the kind of good friends you like celebrating good news with, bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry you don't have the kind of good friends you like celebrating good news with, bro.
Sure we have good friends... but 30-40?? And assuming you mean law school friends, surely if you are good friends, you would also be sensitive to how things are going with them, and not constantly be updating someone without any offers about all your amazing offers.

...On the other hand, it seems that you are more likely to get an offer if you are the type of person that will tell others unprompted about your success. That's what they look for, it seems.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry you're so fucking aspie, bro.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I like how self-righteous people who do this are, but at the end of the day you know exactly what you're doing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”