Transition from public interest to private? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transition from public interest to private?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 3:36 pm

I graduated this month from MVP and I am considering a ~$60k one-year fellowship at a nonprofit doing disability rights litigation. I'm very interested in the work and am reasonably sure I would be happy there. I could see myself doing this work, or similar public interest work, for at least a few years.

My concern though is that eventually I will need a higher salary to raise a family and support my parents and so I don't think I can stay in public interest work forever. I've worked with many older attorneys in legal aid who are still making $60k salaries in their 40s, which I personally would not be satisfied with. I don't want to put myself on a path that will keep me in public interest work forever, even though I enjoy it greatly as a recent law grad.

Eventually I'd like to work for a private law firm or in-house at a corporation. Has anyone made this kind of transition and/or could talk about it? Thanks.

ninereal

New

Re: Transition from public interest to private?

Post by ninereal » Thu May 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Some types of work are easier to transition out of than others (like, prosecutor -> USAO -> white-collar defense seems to be a pretty common path). Disability rights doesn't seem like it lends itself particularly well to going private.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”