This Summer is Going to Suck

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

This Summer is Going to Suck

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Top 10% at a top 20 law school? Check. Law review? Check. Moot court team? Check. Win multiple moot court competitions? Check. Make the highest grade in multiple law school classes? Check. Get elected to the law review’s executive board? Check. Tutor 1L students? Check. Intern for some of the most prestigious federal and state judges in the state? Check.

Find gainful (and decent) employment? . . .

Not trying to boast too much, but I've absolutely killed it in law school. I just got a rejection letter from my last shot at a decent firm job this summer. I'll be working for < $1000 per week for half the summer and taking classes the second half unless some miracle happens. I was recently elected to one of the top four position on my school's law review. Needless to say, I'm surrounded by people who have amazing summers lined up.

Anyone else kill it and strike out miserably? I've been told I interview well, so I don't really know why the more than 30 screeners and callbacks I've had resulted in absolutely nil, but it sucks and now I'm whining.

It's probably time for me to get back to the outlining, but fuck me if I can find some motivation.

Homelandsagreatshow

Re: This Summer is Going to Suck

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:34 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:36 pm

both of you, if not flame, are not being completely honest with us.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 pm

mephistopheles wrote:both of you, if not flame, are not being completely honest with us.

Top 10%+LR people at T14s/T20s strike out every year. It's rare, but it happens.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:both of you, if not flame, are not being completely honest with us.

Top 10%+LR people at T14s/T20s strike out every year. It's rare, but it happens.

well, OP says he interviews well. in hearing about those rare cases, it's always usually, "oh, but s/he's an aspie social retard."

how else could it happen?

truevines

Postby truevines » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not trying to boast too much, but I've absolutely killed it in law school.

No. You did not kill it in law school. The whole purpose of getting high grades is to get a jerb. Since you are not able to get a meaningful SA this summer, you did not kill anything in law school, except your bank accounts.

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 pm

bk1 wrote:

& scaring me (a 1L shitless)

any particular reasons why? is it just bad luck of the draw?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 pm

mephistopheles wrote:well, OP says he interviews well. in hearing about those rare cases, it's always usually, "oh, but s/he's an aspie social retard."

People overestimate their abilities all the time.

It can also be due to poor bidding and/or bad luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Top 1/3 OP at T-14. Got no firms... though I guess people in my place are more common.
I still think OP might be a flame however because a lot of the details provided will not really matter for the firm search. Law review executive board + moot court are usually Spring things, and by that time the big firm boat has left.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/3 OP at T-14. Got no firms... though I guess people in my place are more common.
I still think OP might be a flame however because a lot of the details provided will not really matter for the firm search. Law review executive board + moot court are usually Spring things, and by that time the big firm boat has left.

OP here. Not flaming. A biglaw firm recently opened an office in my city and came to our spring OCI. Struck out with them and the remaining midlaw firms that came.

Maybe the above poster is right in saying that I'm not actually interviewing well. I don't know what else to pin it on. But, I'm definitely not someone that you would likely view as "aspie." I'm generally pretty outgoing and a strong public speaker.

Anyway. I'm now massmailing local plaintiffs firms with good reputations to try and snag something for the second half of the summer that won't be a major blemish on my resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 pm

truevines wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not trying to boast too much, but I've absolutely killed it in law school.

No. You did not kill it in law school. The whole purpose of getting high grades is to get a jerb. Since you are not able to get a meaningful SA this summer, you did not kill anything in law school, except your bank accounts.

True story.

-OP

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 pm

how did you get your "Intern for some of the most prestigious federal and state judges in the state" did you go through a lengthy interview process? Have you ever received any offers from anything recently that you had to interview to get ?

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:17 pm

I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to win moot court competitions and have aspies. It seems pretty unlucky. Bad bidding? Idk. If there's anything you remember doing wrong please pass it on to our future OGI goers. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm

redsox550 wrote:how did you get your "Intern for some of the most prestigious federal and state judges in the state" did you go through a lengthy interview process? Have you ever received any offers from anything recently that you had to interview to get ?

My 1L grades got me the jobs. Interviewing with judges isn't like interviewing with law firms because judges tend to be much older and only concerned with whether you will not be a pain in the ass to work with over the course of the internship. Also, in both instances, I had professors who previously clerked for the judges call/write letters of recommendation.

I have received absolutely zero offers from anything that I recently have had to interview to get, except the exec board position on law review, but in that case I was a known quantity because the previous board had gotten to know me and seen my work product for nearly two full semesters.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm

truevines wrote:

kind of dick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:23 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to win moot court competitions and have aspies. It seems pretty unlucky. Bad bidding? Idk. If there's anything you remember doing wrong please pass it on to our future OGI goers. Good luck.

Bidding was a problem. I overbid a bit. Looking back, I would have used at least half of my bids on firms that were "below" my credentials. By that I mean that I would have looked at the LS credentials of their recently hired associates and bid on firms that tended to hire people with slightly worse grades, not MC LR combos, etc.

-OP
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm

bk1 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:well, OP says he interviews well. in hearing about those rare cases, it's always usually, "oh, but s/he's an aspie social retard."

People overestimate their abilities all the time.

It can also be due to poor bidding and/or bad luck.

Wouldn't only extremes matter?

And if moot court -> can't be extremely bad.

Though idk if asshole factor comes in at all. i know radio hosts always can be great voices on the air but absolutely horrible at interviewing and talking to callers.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to win moot court competitions and have aspies. It seems pretty unlucky. Bad bidding? Idk. If there's anything you remember doing wrong please pass it on to our future OGI goers. Good luck.

Bidding was a problem. I overbid a bit. Looking back, I would have used at least half of my bids on firms that were "below" my credentials. By that I mean that I would have looked at the LS credentials of their recently hired associates and bid on firms that tended to hire people with slightly worse grades, not MC LR combos, etc.

This is something I don't get. If all firms pay the same why would it ever be worth it to throw but a few bids at top firms? Why not "settle" for firms ranked 50-60, any firm paying 160k? It's not like anybody cares IRL what firm you work at. Nobody knows.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:27 pm

truevines wrote:

CR

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:27 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote: This is something I don't get. If all firms pay the same why would it ever be worth it to throw but a few bids at top firms? Why not "settle" for firms ranked 50-60, any firm paying 160k? It's not like anybody cares IRL what firm you work at. Nobody knows.

Exit options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
truevines wrote:

CR

Yeah, I get it, I'm totally fucked. Please choke on a dick.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Hope some of those profs will be decent clerkship recommenders bro

Sorry this has been the way it's gone down

You may not be as good an interviewer as you think you are

Just FYI, the value of top school/top grades diminishes rapidly out of OCI/clerkship hiring

Good luck

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote: This is something I don't get. If all firms pay the same why would it ever be worth it to throw but a few bids at top firms? Why not "settle" for firms ranked 50-60, any firm paying 160k? It's not like anybody cares IRL what firm you work at. Nobody knows.

Exit options.

It's still pretty hefty on the risk-reward assessment. I normally just assume I'm terrible at everything that can't be statistically measured to play it safe. i'd think if anyone has a shot at a firm job without a 2l SA it's op. i'd imagine u can just be honest about bidding wrong, etc.?

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 pm

On this note, can you tell a 1l what you convey at interviews? most of my interviews have a lot of laughs and talk about things as unrelated to law as possible. topics like food, sports and travel normally come up and occupy most of it.

Return to “Legal Employment”