Post Barzam Temp Job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post Barzam Temp Job?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:03 pm

I have a month to kill between the bar exam and my start date (which won't be till late October). Already have a bar trip sort of planned right after the bar exam, but didn't realize then that I'd have another 1.5-2 months where I'll be sitting around with no income. I looked up some old threads, and the general consensus is to just have fun & travel, but I honestly don't think I'll have enough $ to do anything. So what kind of job can I find in that short timeframe? Is doc-review possible?

TLDR: post barzam month-long jerb wanted

timbs4339

Re: Post Barzam Temp Job?

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:17 pm

You're where I was a year ago, some suggestions:

1) It's going to take longer than a month to get registered with a doc review agency. Those agencies can now usually find people with both bar admission and prior experience, the number of JD-only projects is very small despite the work being something a reasonably smart high school kid could do. Steady hours if you can get it, but I wouldn't waste the time signing up. I sat on CL every day, emailed about 10 projects and never got so much as a ding.

2) Try emailing your OCS and see if they have a list of attorneys who need contract research assistance. Look on Simplicity. If all else fails email alumni or former bosses to see if they know anyone who runs a solo firm or small shop. I worked for a solo for a few months who not only gave me hours but also let me attend depos and hearings and generally act like an associate. You want to line up a few of these gigs since solos tend to ebb and flow. The problem is that you are actually less valuable than a law student without the free Wexis password.

I also had a few jobs that were legally related, like research for authors.

3) Ask your school if they have a stipend program or ask professors you worked with if they need RAs. The jobs probably won't pay enough for rent, but it might be a good way to get eating money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:35 am

timbs4339 wrote:You're where I was a year ago, some suggestions:

1) It's going to take longer than a month to get registered with a doc review agency. Those agencies can now usually find people with both bar admission and prior experience, the number of JD-only projects is very small despite the work being something a reasonably smart high school kid could do. Steady hours if you can get it, but I wouldn't waste the time signing up. I sat on CL every day, emailed about 10 projects and never got so much as a ding.

2) Try emailing your OCS and see if they have a list of attorneys who need contract research assistance. Look on Simplicity. If all else fails email alumni or former bosses to see if they know anyone who runs a solo firm or small shop. I worked for a solo for a few months who not only gave me hours but also let me attend depos and hearings and generally act like an associate. You want to line up a few of these gigs since solos tend to ebb and flow. The problem is that you are actually less valuable than a law student without the free Wexis password.

I also had a few jobs that were legally related, like research for authors.

3) Ask your school if they have a stipend program or ask professors you worked with if they need RAs. The jobs probably won't pay enough for rent, but it might be a good way to get eating money.

thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a month to kill between the bar exam and my start date (which won't be till late October). Already have a bar trip sort of planned right after the bar exam, but didn't realize then that I'd have another 1.5-2 months where I'll be sitting around with no income. I looked up some old threads, and the general consensus is to just have fun & travel, but I honestly don't think I'll have enough $ to do anything. So what kind of job can I find in that short timeframe? Is doc-review possible?

Im in a similar, but unfortunately less desirable position. My firm still loves to defer incoming classes until next year (got to keep those PPP high, right?!), so I have nothing to do until mid-January. Im hoping to do doc review from Sept-Dec. There are a few big doc review companies in the market Ill be working in that I plan to hit up. Got to make some money to pay the bills. Blah.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:51 am

My V50 firm also sent out a start date last week of late October, which is about a month later than I was expecting. I'm planning on just moving back home for a while after the bar trip to save $$. Are a lot of people getting an October start date this year? I was under the impression September was the norm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a month to kill between the bar exam and my start date (which won't be till late October). Already have a bar trip sort of planned right after the bar exam, but didn't realize then that I'd have another 1.5-2 months where I'll be sitting around with no income. I looked up some old threads, and the general consensus is to just have fun & travel, but I honestly don't think I'll have enough $ to do anything. So what kind of job can I find in that short timeframe? Is doc-review possible?

Im in a similar, but unfortunately less desirable position. My firm still loves to defer incoming classes until next year (got to keep those PPP high, right?!), so I have nothing to do until mid-January. Im hoping to do doc review from Sept-Dec. There are a few big doc review companies in the market Ill be working in that I plan to hit up. Got to make some money to pay the bills. Blah.

Same situation here (January start date). I'd be pretty happy to take anything, though it would be great to find a term clerkship with a judge for the six months after the bar. Anyone have any idea how often those jobs pop up?

Return to “Legal Employment”