Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kyle010723

Silver

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013:Past PLIPrs,what interview Qs were u asked?

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:32 pm

fishfry111 wrote:I'm pretty sure it's only one room, but maybe with more than a single hiring partner so that they can rotate. After all, each additional room requires another partner and associate team, sitting there and not earning billable hours.
I think you are right. Some firms have two interviewers listed, but I am not sure if they rotate, tag team, or just double-team us.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:45 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
fishfry111 wrote:I'm pretty sure it's only one room, but maybe with more than a single hiring partner so that they can rotate. After all, each additional room requires another partner and associate team, sitting there and not earning billable hours.
I think you are right. Some firms have two interviewers listed, but I am not sure if they rotate, tag team, or just double-team us.
Original anon here, I bet it is actually the number of boxes under "employer's schedules" when you click on a bid. 1 room/16 slots per box. Thus Finnegan is looking at 64 people, etc...

fishfry111

New

Post by fishfry111 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:25 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faintbeam

New

Post by faintbeam » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:16 pm

fishfry111 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think that the firmwide interviews have one room/16 slots, and firms where the interviews are by a particular location have one room/16 slots per location. Multiply the slots by two if the firm is interviewing on both days.
Sounds about right. Heard last year that multi-city firms like Jones Day and Kirkland occupied entire wings of the hotel. So make sure you check the door for the particular office, or else you might get a CB for a different city.
This is right. Last year, the firmwide interviews were held in one room. The firms with multiple offices present were set up so that each office had their own room, but all in the same wing of the hotel. For firms with multiple offices and multiple rooms, the signs were clear for which office was in which room. Plus, your name is on the schedule on the door so you really can't mess it up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how selective Fish is overall? I can’t find very much info on it. I didn’t get them through PLIP and I’m wondering if it’s even worth trying to interview with them through my school. Not CS/EE and about median at a non-HYS T14.
Very selective, according to career service Data at my mvp
"very selective" has more to do with technical background PLUS exceptional LS academics.

They aren't going to fudge your numbers like most others will

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:02 pm

faintbeam wrote:
fishfry111 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think that the firmwide interviews have one room/16 slots, and firms where the interviews are by a particular location have one room/16 slots per location. Multiply the slots by two if the firm is interviewing on both days.
Sounds about right. Heard last year that multi-city firms like Jones Day and Kirkland occupied entire wings of the hotel. So make sure you check the door for the particular office, or else you might get a CB for a different city.
This is right. Last year, the firmwide interviews were held in one room. The firms with multiple offices present were set up so that each office had their own room, but all in the same wing of the hotel. For firms with multiple offices and multiple rooms, the signs were clear for which office was in which room. Plus, your name is on the schedule on the door so you really can't mess it up.

Is 5 minutes enough to get from interview to interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:32 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked, but what does the "Total Slots" column mean on the OCI/interview/bidding tab?
Where do you find this tab/information?

faintbeam

New

Post by faintbeam » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
faintbeam wrote:
fishfry111 wrote:

Is 5 minutes enough to get from interview to interview?
Yes, though you might have to rush (especially if your interview runs a minute or two over, but that didn't happen often to me). The interviews last year were on 5 or 6 different floors of the hotel. So there were a few instances when I had an interview on Floor 4, but my next interview was on Floor 9 right after. I still made it on time, but I moved quickly.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked, but what does the "Total Slots" column mean on the OCI/interview/bidding tab?
In simplicity. Are you registered (and do you have interviews) for one of the IP fairs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:43 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
In simplicity. Are you registered (and do you have interviews) for one of the IP fairs?
Yes, 16, at PLIP. I see no column with "Total Slots" in either the employers/bidding tab nor in the scheduled interviews tab under the "Patent Program" section. Are you sure you're logged into the PLIP symplicity and not your school's OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, 16, at PLIP. I see no column with "Total Slots" in either the employers/bidding tab nor in the scheduled interviews tab under the "Patent Program" section. Are you sure you're logged into the PLIP symplicity and not your school's OCI?

I don't see a "Total Slots" column either.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Well I was looking at the SFIPLA Simplicity, so maybe PLIP doesn't have the same setup.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:15 pm

So from the latest email PLIP just sent out, for the alternates to get the available interview slot, not only do you have to be there by 8:30, you also have to have the said time slot available to get the interview. So it doesn't matter if you are alternate(1), if you don't have the time slot open, it will go to alternate(2) and so forth.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:53 pm

So from the latest email PLIP just sent out, for the alternates to get the available interview slot, not only do you have to be there by 8:30, you also have to have the said time slot available to get the interview. So it doesn't matter if you are alternate(1), if you don't have the time slot open, it will go to alternate(2) and so forth.

I'd imagine this to be the case. The firm with the newly opened slot probably ONLY has that time available and the PLIP staff probably don't have the time/manpower to try and juggle interviews around to make it work for you since the other firm that has your conflicting interview is also likely booked up already. It all seems a bit like a lottery, but it's a lot easier to run I'm sure. All the firms will know who they are going to be interviewing by around 9AM or so. That makes it a lot easier for them, and let's be honest, the firms are the real customers of this whole shindig. We are just meat to feed into the grinder. We are not special snowflakes, etc. etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:45 pm

I received an email from Foley Lardner about filling out an application online in connection to the PLIP resume collect. I bid on them but don't remember submitting a resume through resume collect. They did not give me a preselect or alternate.

Did everybody that bid on them get this? Could filling it out actually lead to anything?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:10 pm

MarcZero wrote:

I'd imagine this to be the case. The firm with the newly opened slot probably ONLY has that time available and the PLIP staff probably don't have the time/manpower to try and juggle interviews around to make it work for you since the other firm that has your conflicting interview is also likely booked up already. It all seems a bit like a lottery, but it's a lot easier to run I'm sure. All the firms will know who they are going to be interviewing by around 9AM or so. That makes it a lot easier for them, and let's be honest, the firms are the real customers of this whole shindig. We are just meat to feed into the grinder. We are not special snowflakes, etc. etc.
This is right. I was in the room for the calling of the alternates, and a slot opened up for Ropes & Gray. They asked if the first alternate was present. He was, and he looked really excited. They then asked if he was free at 3:30. He pauses, and very dejectedly says "Uh... can I cancel another interview?" They said no and the next guy was available and got the spot.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is right. I was in the room for the calling of the alternates, and a slot opened up for Ropes & Gray. They asked if the first alternate was present. He was, and he looked really excited. They then asked if he was free at 3:30. He pauses, and very dejectedly says "Uh... can I cancel another interview?" They said no and the next guy was available and got the spot.
Don't say that! My alternate spot is with Ropes & Gray...

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:59 pm

This is right. I was in the room for the calling of the alternates, and a slot opened up for Ropes & Gray. They asked if the first alternate was present. He was, and he looked really excited. They then asked if he was free at 3:30. He pauses, and very dejectedly says "Uh... can I cancel another interview?" They said no and the next guy was available and got the spot.
If only they gave us the full schedule of interviews so we could know whether or not we should get our hopes up about our alternates.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Only a few more weeks until PLIP!

So quick question, I know if you are selected for interview at PLIP, there is no point bidding on the same firm for your school's OCI, but what about the said firm's other office location? I.e. the firm is interviewing for multiple offices during PLIP, and you were selected for one of them, should you bid on another office location during OCI if it is your preferred market? And what about alternates? I feel like it should be ok to bid on alternated firms for OCI since alternate is not guaranteed an interview.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:44 pm

kyle010723 wrote:Only a few more weeks until PLIP!

So quick question, I know if you are selected for interview at PLIP, there is no point bidding on the same firm for your school's OCI, but what about the said firm's other office location? I.e. the firm is interviewing for multiple offices during PLIP, and you were selected for one of them, should you bid on another office location during OCI if it is your preferred market? And what about alternates? I feel like it should be ok to bid on alternated firms for OCI since alternate is not guaranteed an interview.
Should be no proble, so long are you are targeting a different office (market). After wall, the offices don't exactly talk to each other, do they? PLIP for one market, SFIPLA for antoehr, Diversity for yet another, and OCI for last another, the list goes on. This way, we can blanket the same firm from multiple directions.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Why not email the recruiter? All firms are different. IE Jones Day will only see you once, no matter what

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:39 pm

chem wrote:Why not email the recruiter? All firms are different. IE Jones Day will only see you once, no matter what
I guess I do not want to set myself up for the question: Well, we already offered you an interview for this office, why do you want to interview for another office? Does that mean you would not work at Office A?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Should be no proble, so long are you are targeting a different office (market). After wall, the offices don't exactly talk to each other, do they? PLIP for one market, SFIPLA for antoehr, Diversity for yet another, and OCI for last another, the list goes on. This way, we can blanket the same firm from multiple directions.
Most symplicity systems I have been in have an indicator to show "no double interviews" and thus, if you've interviewed somewhere else, you shouldn't be bidding again. If you double dip its probably a good way to get a red mark on your file for failure to follow simple directions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”