. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:20 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

echooo23

Bronze

Re: Interview Follow-Up

Post by echooo23 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 pm

You could indicate that you currently have an offer and need to respond by a certain time (assuming this is true, that is), but that they are your first choice and you would appreciate a timeframe for decisions.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:11 pm

echooo23 wrote:You could indicate that you currently have an offer and need to respond by a certain time (assuming this is true, that is), but that they are your first choice and you would appreciate a timeframe for decisions.

I wouldn't do this...unless you are truly about to accept another position within the next week or so.

I'd either sit tight or take the first approach you mentioned; but I wouldn't ask for a timeframe.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:20 pm

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:24 pm

slack_academic wrote:
johnjohnthefifth wrote:
echooo23 wrote:You could indicate that you currently have an offer and need to respond by a certain time (assuming this is true, that is), but that they are your first choice and you would appreciate a timeframe for decisions.
Kittens
DON'T CLICK THIS DON'T CLICK THIS DON'T CLICK THIS
I definitely would not have clicked, but for this post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 pm

What I would do is express continued interest, mention why you like their firm (something specific), and ask if it would be helpful to provide further information (like a writing sample) assuming you haven't given everything already.

echooo23

Bronze

Post by echooo23 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:

I wouldn't do this...unless you are truly about to accept another position within the next week or so.

I'd either sit tight or take the first approach you mentioned; but I wouldn't ask for a timeframe.
YMMV, of course, but this was advice given to me by my OCS. And when I did, the interviewer expressed appreciation for my honesty and hearing that they were my top choice. My OCS's reasoning is that most interviewers were once in our shoes. They know exactly how it feels like to job hunt, have offers, juggle offer deadlines with pending applications, etc. But, mostly, they're just too busy thinking about their own shit. If you are just up front with them, they will be understanding of your situation. Of course, as I said before, this is assuming that you do have offers that are pending. Don't do this if you're bluffing. Anyway, seemed to work for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”