Direct legal services (Legal Aid) exit options

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Direct legal services (Legal Aid) exit options

Postby 02889 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

I have exclusively PI-oriented interests, and I'm trying to see into the future to get a sense of career options. I'm a 0L working in impact litigation now, and can clearly see the exit options for the lawyers here. People have left my organization to "lateral" to other litigation nonprofits, plaintiffs' side firms, and government. I also see the varied paths into impact litigation - firm, DOJ, clerkship, fellowship, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has some information or thoughts on the exit options for direct service (Legal Aid) work, since I assume the burnout is pretty strong. If someone accepts a direct services job right out of law schools, what are they doing 5-8 years after that, if not the same work?

I found this thread on JD Underground from last year, with not very many answers: http://www.jdunderground.com/lawpractic ... adId=28845

Thanks!

dr123

Re: Direct legal services (Legal Aid) exit options

Postby dr123 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:29 pm

I used to work in Legal Aid. FWIW, most of the attorneys that left my office went to smallish firms that do like Real Estate, Family Law, etc type stuff, solo practice, or the PD/Co. Atty's office.

Return to “Legal Employment”