Anyone know anything about Lawpivot?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Garinold

Anyone know anything about Lawpivot?

Postby Garinold » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Is there anyone familiar with https://www.lawpivot.com/? I'm not completely sure how it works, it just looks like you pay $20 - $50 to ask a question on the site, depending on the legal topic, and lawyers get back to you. Does anyone know if these fees go to the site completely, or if they are split with the site and the lawyer asking the question? Since they allow unlimited follow up questions for free, I'm guessing the lawyer doesn't get paid at all through the site. Thus, the site could just a venue for client acquisition as far as the lawyer is concerned. However, if this is true than wouldn't the site be justified in charging the lawyer a small monthly fee for providing a venue to acquire clients?

The site states that they have been acquired by rocketlawyer, so I'm not sure if they are going to continue on. I was just curious about their business model and how money changes hands on this site. Also, how do you guys think they marketed this site? I only stumbled across it a couple months ago from reading some random blog article. I'm also a little curious about the ethics of running a site like this. I remember hearing about a similar site that was condemned by the South Carolina Supreme Court on ethical considerations. This is all coming from distant memory but it had something to do with fee splitting and the rules regulating referral services. Sounds like this site could have some of the same ethical issues. What do you guys think?

kalvano

Re: Anyone know anything about Lawpivot?

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:50 pm

I think it makes me think of Friends and trying to get a couch up the stairs and Ross yelling "Pivot! PIVOT! PIVOT!!!"

I also have doubts about the accuracy of information on the site.

Return to “Legal Employment”