Terrible GPA, great internships, where can I end up? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jdubb990

Bronze

Terrible GPA, great internships, where can I end up?

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:34 pm

I recently graduated from a T3 school a semester early. I am currently studying for the bar, no job in hand yet. I graduated in the bottom 1/3 of my class. However, I've been pretty fortunate with my internships so my resume looks decent:

Lieutenant Governor's office (senior year of college)
DA's office (1L summer)
Clerked for one of the best first amendment lawyers in the U.S. (small firm, 2L school year)
Two general jurisdiction trial court judges in one of America's biggest cities (2L Summer)
State court of appeals Judge (3L fall semester)

I have no interest in doing personal injury or criminal law. Practically speaking, a bankruptcy practice seems ideal, but I'm not sure how much a new associate makes on average in that type of practice, any ideas? I wouldn't mind doing entertainment law/sports law, but it seems impractical. Working for a congressman in D.C. would be a dream job, but seeing as how I never interned in D.C., or at the federal level in any capacity, is this realistic to strive for?

Sorry this post is choppy and sort of stream of consciousness, my mind is a bit scrambled at the moment. Ultimately I'm just looking for some perspective and/or input about career paths. Also, I would be interested to know if anyone else has been in my shoes in terms of similar level internships, with a bad class rank and gpa.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Re: Terrible GPA, great internships, where can I end up?

Post by BeenDidThat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:45 pm

jdubb990 wrote:I recently graduated from a T3 school a semester early. I am currently studying for the bar, no job in hand yet. I graduated in the bottom 1/3 of my class. However, I've been pretty fortunate with my internships so my resume looks decent:

DA's office (1L summer)
Clerked for one of the best first amendment lawyers in the U.S. (small firm, 2L school year)
Two general jurisdiction trial court judges in one of America's biggest cities (2L Summer)

I have no interest in doing personal injury or criminal law. Practically speaking, a bankruptcy practice seems ideal, but I'm not sure how much a new associate makes on average in that type of practice, any ideas? I wouldn't mind doing entertainment law/sports law, but it seems impractical. Working for a congressman in D.C. would be a dream job, but seeing as how I never interned in D.C., or at the federal level in any capacity, is this realistic to strive for?

Sorry this post is choppy and sort of stream of consciousness, my mind is a bit scrambled at the moment. Ultimately I'm just looking for some perspective and/or input about career paths. Also, I would be interested to know if anyone else has been in my shoes in terms of similar level internships, with a bad class rank and gpa.
I think you need to not be choosey. Your chances of being employed as an attorney drop off dramatically if you don't have a legal job a year out from graduation. I'm having trouble discerning a consistent thread of interest in your work experience or listed interests. I'd say if you want to do litigation, do it with whoever you can. Courtroom experience, the ability to talk on your feet: that's what will matter. If you want transactional work, just start doing it. Reading and analyzing contracts will be your lifeblood if that's the case, and you should do it whatever capacity possible. While just about everyone would like to do record deals, that might not be a realistic entry-level for you. Start with whatever you can get.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Your best shot at getting a paid gig seems to be going back to the DA office and trying to get a job there, since DA offices care less about school rankings. Grades could still be a problem.

Rootbeer

New

Post by Rootbeer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:08 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Your best shot at getting a paid gig seems to be going back to the DA office and trying to get a job there, since DA offices care less about school rankings. Grades could still be a problem.
Saying "I have no interest in doing criminal law" is a WAY bigger problem than grades for most DA's Offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:21 pm

jdubb990 wrote:I recently graduated from a T3 school a semester early. I am currently studying for the bar, no job in hand yet. I graduated in the bottom 1/3 of my class. However, I've been pretty fortunate with my internships so my resume looks decent:

DA's office (1L summer)

have you at least taken a bankruptcy class? it's an incredibly complex practice area and, for most consumer bankruptcies, not particularly lucrative. have you tried to get any of your previous employers to recommend you for jobs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Are TTT schools this bad that you would think these internships are "great?" Most law students have done at least this AND have better grades.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:50 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Are TTT schools this bad that you would think these internships are "great?" Most law students have done at least this AND have better grades.
Are you such an ass that you make snide and contemptuous remarks to someone who is looking for helpful advice and information?

Actually, I have several friends at T25 schools who don't have experience nearly as notable as what I've had. And when I say "notable" I am not bragging, I know that these are not federal judges that I worked for, not huge firms, etc., but I think that its a respectable resume.

I haven't taken a bankruptcy class, but I'm sure that with decent training and supervision I could pick it up. My angle with bankruptcy is that I don't see the economy improving any over the next few years. It seems that it would be practical to have a legal skill set for when the economy is bad, and a skill set for when the economy is booming.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:53 pm

No one's gonna hire you for BK if you've never taken BK. At this point, you take any job you can get.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:55 pm

jdubb990 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Are TTT schools this bad that you would think these internships are "great?" Most law students have done at least this AND have better grades.
Are you such an ass that you make snide and contemptuous remarks to someone who is looking for helpful advice and information?

Actually, I have several friends at T25 schools who don't have experience nearly as notable as what I've had. And when I say "notable" I am not bragging, I know that these are not federal judges that I worked for, not huge firms, etc., but I think that its a respectable resume.

I haven't taken a bankruptcy class, but I'm sure that with decent training and supervision I could pick it up. My angle with bankruptcy is that I don't see the economy improving any over the next few years. It seems that it would be practical to have a legal skill set for when the economy is bad, and a skill set for when the economy is booming.
No, just pointing out that you probably shouldn't expect these internships to carry you, given the fact that most unemployed 3Ls have had similar experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:22 pm

jdubb990 wrote:

It was worded harshly but he has a valid point. Your experience while good is not uncommon. In fact at HLS that kind of experience would reduce your chances of getting firm jobs significantly. Also, given your grades, your school's ranking and your lack of experience and coursework in bankruptcy, why would a firm hire you and "provide decent training and supervision", instead of putting those resource into someone with better stats/SA and a demonstrated interest in bankruptcy? I assure you there is no shortage of those people looking for work ITE.

You should take ANY legal job you can get at this point. After you get a job you can keep looking for something better/more interesting without risking an employment gap on your resume.

tim.jonner

New

Post by tim.jonner » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:25 pm

DA's office (1L summer)

Your best chance at employment is clerking for one the judges you interned for. If you produced good work product....

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Glad you said it so I didn't have to. To the OP: pepper your angus, bro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”