"network like crazy at OCI" - What does this mean?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"network like crazy at OCI" - What does this mean?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 pm

As a 1L at median/T14, I keep hearing that I can still do okay if I "network like crazy at OCI". How do you do that? I'd like to work Biglaw in NYC after 2L, what's the best way to network (I'm not from NYC nor do I go to school there).

LawIdiot86

Re: "network like crazy at OCI" - What does this mean?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:49 pm

You contact recruiters after your bid results have come out and say you bid on them, but didn't get on their schedule and would still really like to meet with them on a break/lunch if they are willing.

You contact alumni at the same firms and ask the same thing.

You go to all of the suites/firm rooms and say you didn't get on their schedule, but because of X thing about them, you would really like to interview with them if they have time.

You knock on their door during a break/lunch if they don't have a suite and ask if they could interview you at the end of the day or take your resume as you are really interested in them.

You slip an envelope under their door before the morning starts with a cover letter stating you really wanted to interview with them, but didn't get them and would like an interview on a break or at their office if they are willing.

You research your interviewers and firms like crazy so that you don't say something stupid, like insulting their practice area or asking for a practice that isn't in their office or isn't hiring.

You do informational interviews with the firms you do have OCI interviews with so you can mention that during the OCI interview, maybe pick up some inside baseball, and maybe get a good word into HR from the informational interviewer.

You make good friends with your CSO officer so that if there are any last minute cancellations, you will be the first person they call to fill the slot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:As a 1L at median/T14, I keep hearing that I can still do okay if I "network like crazy at OCI". How do you do that? I'd like to work Biglaw in NYC after 2L, what's the best way to network (I'm not from NYC nor do I go to school there).

im a 2L at a T10 with a job at a V25 in NYC for this summer. My grades were below median (probably in 60%-65% range)...I knew that I had to hustle and network like crazy, so i did. i ended up with 3+ offers and had my pick of some pretty amazing firms.

first, i went to the law firm receptions that they have at the school. talk to lawyers, listen, ask lots of questions about different practice areas, get an idea of what you want to do. then, ask them for their business cards or remember their names. email them a few days later and let them know you were appreciative of their time, say youd be happy to talk more or that youd contact them if you had any other questions about the firm.

bid wisely at OCI. once you get your interview list, go on the firm website and look up all the alums from your law school (or undergrad, but i prefer law school) and email them...preferably younger associates, and in my experience, females are more likely to be happy to chat (just a personal anecdote)....say youre interviewing, mention the school, ask if theyd want to chat on the phone, set up a time....talk for 30 mins or so, get some great info..this is also an easy way to get info on the firm without having to do research...take notes...be grateful and upbeat...ask them to send along your info to recruiting as to your conversation....then, during your OCI interview, mention that you talked to so and so for a half an hour in this department on the phone and that she was so helpful describing X and Y and Z...you will look proactive, prepared, and knowledgable, and it can and will set you apart from other applicants who are just sitting down in the interview after doing the cursory internet research. i reached out to someone from every firm and made contact with about half of them...have to say i think it worked like a charm.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 am

Approach interviewers during their breaks or before their day starts or before lunch, try to get an extra interview at the end of their day or offer to fill in for any cancellations. I found you can get at least 2 extra interviews a day usually. Also, look up the interviewers in advance, email them a couple days before they go to your school and try to set up a meeting personally with them outside the confines of OCI. Find something in common to make the cold call or send in the email and practice your elevator pitch.

Dubyuhnell

Postby Dubyuhnell » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am

kryptix wrote:Approach interviewers during their breaks or before their day starts or before lunch, try to get an extra interview at the end of their day or offer to fill in for any cancellations. I found you can get at least 2 extra interviews a day usually. Also, look up the interviewers in advance, email them a couple days before they go to your school and try to set up a meeting personally with them outside the confines of OCI. Find something in common to make the cold call or send in the email and practice your elevator pitch.

Im going to take this advice for a firm in home market that I really wanted to interview but didnt get...Im going to see if can meet for coffee but there are four interviewers coming down does it matter which one I email or should I CC all of them on the email.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 am

Just to add to what was said, when you visit hospitality suits, figure out who the attorneys interviewing are. There will usually be HR people and a SA or two. These people are pleasant to chat with, but don't really have any say in giving you an interview. Avoid them unless you just want to make smalltalk. Try to talk to the people that can interview you.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:16 pm

shock259 wrote:Just to add to what was said, when you visit hospitality suits, figure out who the attorneys interviewing are. There will usually be HR people and a SA or two. These people are pleasant to chat with, but don't really have any say in giving you an interview. Avoid them unless you just want to make smalltalk. Try to talk to the people that can interview you.

Yeah I found hospitality areas to be pretty useless unless you already had an interview, they are mainly there to keep people from annoying interviewers :). That said you can use them to parlay a non-scheduled interview with an attorney into an invite to a reception in the evening etc, where you might be able to meet someone with a say on giving you a call back...

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:45 pm

I dunno about the avoiding recruiters at hospitality suites advice. I know plenty of people who got unscheduled interviews through them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:24 pm

Just to add to what was said, when you visit hospitality suits, figure out who the attorneys interviewing are. There will usually be HR people and a SA or two. These people are pleasant to chat with, but don't really have any say in giving you an interview. Avoid them unless you just want to make smalltalk. Try to talk to the people that can interview you.

NYU 3L working at V50 next year. The HR people can be very helpful and you should talk to them. For example, before one of my interviews I showed up early and simply asked who was going to interview me; this firm had provided a list of about 5 interviewers and I had read their bios beforehand but didn't know which individual it would be. Knowing the interviewer allowed me to mentally prepare some small talk and feel more confident when the interview began.

More importantly, it is not uncommon for HR/Talent Management staff to be represented on a firm's hiring committee. Their good reviews matter.

Dubyuhnell

Postby Dubyuhnell » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:30 pm

Does this advice apply to 1l oci as well?

User was outed for anon abuse.

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:33 pm

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/11/15/ne ... y-tasting/

I know it's written with men in mind, but there is a lot of advice that can easily be transferred to women as well.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a 1L at median/T14, I keep hearing that I can still do okay if I "network like crazy at OCI". How do you do that? I'd like to work Biglaw in NYC after 2L, what's the best way to network (I'm not from NYC nor do I go to school there).

Why do you think that you need to network like crazy at OCI if you're median at a T14? I know being medianpwned sucks, but you're not in bad shape.

Also, lol at tagging this thread. 11/23 posts.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

NYU 3L working at V50 next year. The HR people can be very helpful and you should talk to them. For example, before one of my interviews I showed up early and simply asked who was going to interview me; this firm had provided a list of about 5 interviewers and I had read their bios beforehand but didn't know which individual it would be. Knowing the interviewer allowed me to mentally prepare some small talk and feel more confident when the interview began.

More importantly, it is not uncommon for HR/Talent Management staff to be represented on a firm's hiring committee. Their good reviews matter.

Definitely true that HR staff's opinions matter, I was just saying that if you didn't already have an interview with the firm, talking to HR didn't seem to help me get one, but talking to attorneys did as they could give you one on their own time.

If a talk with an interviewer went well, make sure to drop by hospitality and the HR people afterwards to talk to them about what you thought went well etc. Doesn't hurt for the HR people to ask your interviewer about you while its still fresh, these guys meet with 20+ people a day.

As for callbacks, HR and other staff is even more important, if your waiting to go into a partner's office etc, get their secretary to like you, it can really pay dividends :)

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Bros, there is a bookmark function.

soj

Postby soj » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:Bros, there is a bookmark function.

And I won't delete your bookmarks.

Return to “Legal Employment”