2l SA Mass Mail Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2l SA Mass Mail Question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 pm

I am a transfer to a t14. Struck out at oci. got first semester grades back and am either top 1 or 2 percent. (won't know for sure until the end of the year). Is it worth trying to mail some of the firms that I have already mailed in the fall but got rejected from (or haven't mailed because I missed them although that list will be much smaller) and trying to still get a 2l sa position? Or has that boat already sailed and I need to focus on clerkships or 3loci? or find another career?

eerie_erie

Bronze

Re: 2l SA Mass Mail Question

Post by eerie_erie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 am

Try some of the smaller firms, get experience, and then (I think) try for 3L's OCI. But at my school OCI for 3Ls are extremely limited, so you might have to do some individual networking to get through the door. Congrats on your awesome grades though!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 am

How did your grades transfer to your school? Did they just convert them or did your GPA stay as it was? (Sorry I know not related)

Itinerant

New

Post by Itinerant » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:How did your grades transfer to your school? Did they just convert them or did your GPA stay as it was? (Sorry I know not related)
OP's 2L fall semester grades put him in the top 1%; his 1L grades are not factored into the calculation.

Congrats OP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 am

Do it but expect low to no returns. I remember on another thread a person who had an offer rescinded due to a merger couldn't land anything (though that was a month ago and things could have changed.)

I am in a bit of a similar situation. I'm a T14 transfer that struck out due to being sick throughout most of fall semester and the most help I've gotten from firms, even ones where I have a client connection, is being told to apply to smaller ones. Your best bet is to go in-house and leverage the connections attorneys have there to a 3L interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 am

OP here. If I can't get a big firm to give me a shot this late, my plan was to try public defender offices for the summer (my second choice career) so I can show commitment if I end up not getting big law. Is working as a public defender instead of a small firm really going to help or hurt me in 3l oci? or federal clerkship applications?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 am

It's unlikely to hurt you for clerkships. Some judges actually prefer candidates going the PI route.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. If I can't get a big firm to give me a shot this late, my plan was to try public defender offices for the summer (my second choice career) so I can show commitment if I end up not getting big law. Is working as a public defender instead of a small firm really going to help or hurt me in 3l oci? or federal clerkship applications?
Just to your first point, I talked to my career services office, seeing if they could help me since massmailing/networking is going nowhere for me. I was basically told that the ship sailed in October and that I need to move onto other things. Now they could be wrong, and they have screwed me over before, but it seems like big firms set their targets, meet them and move on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”